Dark Tower Movie(s)

Heck Tate

The Fleet Footed
Yes, you heard (read) right, it's finally happening.

I just heard (via facebook of all the lame places) that Ron Howard has been announced as a director for screenplays of the Dark Tower in 2013 (will likely be pushed back, can't rush it). I say screenplays because it's currently scheduled for 3 movies and 2 seasons of TV. Javier Bardem is the only announced cast member so far, though he has only been offered the part of Roland and has not yet accepted.

As if that weren't enough, SK says he'll be writing the Dark Tower 4.5 while the screenplays are filming. Working title so far is The Wind Through The Keyhole. It's supposed to be a "full length novel, though its origins are based on three short stories that focus on a number of supporting characters and important events between the fourth and fifth DT books," which I can only assume means more delving into Roland's past.

For official updates go to:
www.darktowermovies.com

So without further ado, begin all wild speculations and suggestions for actors/actresses and how you think these will turn out.

Last edited:
Ah, the amount of times I've heard about a Dark Tower movie, only for nothing to happen...

However, am very glad to hear three films and a tv series. The scope of the film deserves the big screen because some of it would just look damn awesome (especially the tower in the field of roses...) but the story itself needs much more time. Be interesting to see how they'd do this. "Here ends film one...now, go and watch the first tv series and come back when you're done. We'll wait".

Also, I thought King had already started Wind.... Although the flashback to Roland's youth is one of my lesser favourite parts of the series, I'm glad he decided to write that instead of the sequel to The Shining he was also planning.

And interesting, having just looked up that dude (didn't know him by name alone) I could almost see him as Roland...

I think overall I'd like generally unknown people to play the characters. I'd rather they get the look and the feel of the character right rather than just stick on someone well known for the hell of it. Someone who knows the characters and wants to play them would be awesome.

Having never heard of Javier Bardem, I had to google him. Looks the part of Roland although I always imagined him as older. Embarrassingly I always think of Clint Eastwood when picturing Roland.

I don't think you're wrong in thinking that, as I'm pretty certain that's even mentioned at one point in the series. Roland is definitely supposed to have that Clint Eastwoodness about him.

I googled Roland Deschain and Clint Eastwood and there are a hell of a lot of people who agree with the pairing.

I had never heard of Javier Bardem before either, but after looking him up I discovered he's Anton in No Country For Old Men, which I believe he won some award for. He looks like he'd make an excellent Roland, especially with Ron Howard directing him. I think so far casting is headed in the right direction. I'd like to see good actors but not big name stars who will demand a lot of money and possibly bail on later installments. I'd like to hear who they're considering for Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Walter (the man in black) though.

Okay, the actor does look a good choice for Roland, but I'm gonna bring my "book adaptations into film & tv suck" attitude here all the same :D

I'm only halfway through the series and it's already ambitious for a film.

I don't mean to be negative - I've just been conditioned is all; playing the, very favourable, percentages, etc. :)

Addendum to the above statement: if said adaptation includes the scene of Roland and Jake physically helping Oy to tap his four red shoes, then it'd be worth the price of admission (so to speak).

That'd be hilarious.

Man, this is tough. Roland is different for everyone, and there are other worlds than these.

It's a shame that John Marsden from Red Dead Redemption isn't a real person. He was pretty close to the way I think of Roland. I can only hope that Javier Bardem (if indeed its even confirmed, which I doubt) is the biggest name in it. Some eejit on the interweb will no doubt suggest Jim Carrey or Johnny Depp for something. Also, with Ron Howard its a good bet Tom Hanks will pop up somewhere too. Probably a Calvin Tower cameo.

Javier Bardem would be perfect, he has the look and the accent(I don't know if many of you noticed, but Roland does have a somewhat hispanic accent). For a long time I've pictured Naomi Harris as Odetta/Detta/Susanah, ever since she played Tia Dalma in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Bradley Cooper has been on my mind as Eddie and Daeg Faerch(young Michael Myers in Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween) could play Jake. Father Callohan could be played by Ian McKellan and Ian McShane would make a great Randall Flagg/Walter O' Dim. For some reason I have always pictured DJ Qualls as Patrick Danville. What do the rest of you think about my choices?

I have to say turning DT into a movie or series concerns me. I have been in love with this story half my life (and i'm kinda old!) Just don't think it's really possible to do it the justice that it deserves.

I have to say turning DT into a movie or series concerns me. I have been in love with this story half my life (and i'm kinda old!) Just don't think it's really possible to do it the justice that it deserves.

You are probably right, but I can't wait to see it. I think the two different medias they plan to use might actually allow for them to keep the majority of the story intact, I hope anyway.
icon11.gif

I think these movies/series are an amazing idea to bring everybody into SK's world!

There is also a SUGGESTION that MAYBE part of the story, that would not work well in a Movie or TV series could actually be planned as a narrative game for people to truly explore the DT world for themselves. I'm sure most people will instantly nay-say this as a bad idea; but if fully thought through, it could add a whole new level to the story for people that have never read the books.

I've been thinking about casting for this for a long time. I also had to Google Javier Bardem, but do agree he looks the part. Here are my suggestions for the other member's of the Ka-Tet of 19:

Eddie: James Franco
moz-screenshot.png
(Spiderman, 127 Hours, Pineapple Express)
Susannah: Jana Pinkett-Smith (Matrix 2 & 3)
Jake (toughest in my opinion): Bridger/Brecken Palmer

The problem with child actors on the cusp of fully-fledged teens is they grow very quickly. but that may be an advantage for these movies so show a clear progression for Jake from the innocent straight-A private schoolkid starting his journey with Roland to the seasoned fighter taking on the Breakers by the end.

Thankee-Sai!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would make my year if HBO officially picks up the DT, praise Gan and the Man-Jesus, Ka is flowing back in the right direction for us tower junkies!