My Discovered Authors:2010

AE35Unit

]==[]===O °
The end of last year wasnt particularly good for me-as well as the flu I had a bit of a reading disaster during the Christmas period where I lost all interest (I didnt finish a Arthur C. Clarke book I was trying to read!) But hopefully I'm back on the horse as they say!

Anyway here's a list of authors I discovered for the first time last year.

To begin with there was The Keep, a WWII horror by F. Paul Wilson, which I quite enjoyed. I hope to read other books by this little known author!

Then there was a short SF story by Tony Ballantyne which I read in a new anthology,(The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction (Solaris, 2007)) quite good, but I've not come across this author since.

Then finally I got to read a book by Neal Asher,an author of fast paced SF I'd heard a lot about on this forum. I found one of his stories in the above mentioned anthology so went on the hunt, and found Prador Moon in the library and enjoyed it immensely!

Next I read a well known female author I'd heard a lot about but never, until now, got round to reading- Ursula K. LeGuin.
I had a couple of her paperbacks from Bookmooch.com and read them, or tried to. Trouble is although her work is SF, it reads very much like fantasy (at least these early works do) and the writing style was quite odd in places. As such I didnt finish the second one, (City of Illusions) I'd just had enough!

Then I got an e-book reader and that opened up a whole world of free classics, most of which I wouldnt find in a library! As such I set to reading The Purple Cloud, a 1901 post apocalyptic tale by british author M.P.Shiel, which I downloaded for free from The Purple Cloud at Project Gutenberg

Going back further in SF's history I then downloaded Edison's Conquest of Mars, an official sequel to H.G. Wells's War of the Worlds written by Garret P. Serviss in 1898 which was brilliant, if totally different to what Wells would have written!

Then from 1901 I read A Honeymoon in Space by George Griffith which was fun!

Next up, and a change of direction, I read The City of the Singing Flame, a sort of Lovecraftian horror cum SF tale by Clarke Ashton Smith. You can read that for free here: Clark Ashton Smith portal

More early supernatural stuff from from Ambrose Bierce with his brilliant short horror, An Occurence at Owl Creek.

Then I found some stories by legendary Irish horor meister J. Sheridan Le Fanu. Carmilla is a pre-Dracula horror tale concerning itself with a vampiress!

I then found a really early horror tale,The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole, dating from 1764 this was the earliest piece of fiction I've ever read!

Finishing up with some short stories from Rudyard Kipling, that is my list of discovered authors from 2010!

Quite a range of new authors there Larry.

It's a shame you didn't get on with Ursula Le Guin's work.

By the way, what did you think of "The City of the Singing Flame"? That's one of my favourite of his.

To begin with there was The Keep, a WWII horror by F. Paul Wilson, which I quite enjoyed. I hope to read other books by this little known author!

Then there was a short SF story by Tony Ballantyne which I read in a new anthology,(The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction (Solaris, 2007)) quite good, but I've not come across this author since.

Hi,
Tony has 5 books out with Pan Macmillan to date they are:
Recursion
Capacity
Divergence

Twisted Metal
Blood and Iron

Yep F Paul Wilson was a lot of fun but I'd also recommend Graham Masterton to you, if you like a good scare.

Gareth

Then I got an e-book reader and that opened up a whole world of free classics, most of which I wouldnt find in a library! As such I set to reading The Purple Cloud, a 1901 post apocalyptic tale by british author M.P.Shiel, which I downloaded for free from The Purple Cloud at Project Gutenberg

I have a printed copy, Have you read it yet? because it is pretty amazing.

I read so many new authors in 2010 that i can barely keep track of them all. Extreme year that i plan to make 2011 my fav old authors year.

Clarke Ashton Smith for example was one of the finest discoveris of last year for me too.

Nice spread there AE cool to see you moving out of your comfort zones.