A fantasy book (series?) from the early 1980s

cletusgrahame

I'm having a devil of a time trying to remember the title of a book I read sometime in the early eighties. It may have been written earlier than that, and there were indications that it was part of a larger series though I can't remember reading anything else with the same character.

All I can remember is that the protagonist was a tall figure, not entirely human, who wielded an exceptionally large sword. The novel was rather dark, gritty and battle-oriented. The only specifics that I can remember at the moment is late in the book, when the protagonist enters a forbidden temple, the interior of which is entirely in darkness, and battles a huge, slimy worm-like creature to rescue a lady. I seem to remember there being intimations that the protagonist might be an avatar or manifestation or agent of the god of war, though he doesn't know it.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that. The book left an overall impression on me, but the particulars are lost in time (guess that means I'm getting old, eh?)

Thanks.

It sounds suspiciously like #6 in the BLADE series: "Monster of the Maze," by Jeffrey Lord (1972). And he does wield an exceptionally large sword!
Two others in my collection are:
#9 - "Kingdom of Royth" (1974)
#10 - "Ice Dragon" (1974)
Both by Jeffrey Lord.
--Paul E Musselman

This sounds to me like the Lords of Dus series by Lawrence Watt-Evans. It was a series of 4 books. The titles in the series are

The Lure of the Basilisk
The Seven Altars of Dusara
The Sword of Bheleu
The Book of Silence

I think the scene you are remembering is in the second book, The Seven Altars of Dusara. This is from Amazon.com - "Garth of Ordunin had been set a new task by the Forgotten King: Bring back to Skelleth whatever he found upon the altars of the seven temples of Dusarra. As he went about his blasphemous errand he learned more about the Dark Gods -- and more about his own destiny!"

Last edited:
Thanks to you both. Wizard, that's exactly what it was. Bless you, I thought that was going to haunt me to my dying day.

Glad I could help :) i was just thinking about this series the other day. One of my favorites, but somehow I have lost my copies. Thanks for reminding me that I need to find new ones! E-bay here I come! lol