City of Hope and Despair released

Ian Whates

Author and Editor
I'm delighted to say that my third novel, City of Hope and Despair, second in the 'City of 100 Rows' series, is being released on March 3rd (UK) and 29th (USA). I believe the Australian release date mirrors the British.

The cover again features stunning artwork from Australian artist Greg Bridges.

As for what it's about...

The street-nick Tom must find the source of the great river Thair and perhaps learn the secret of his own strange powers...

The assassin Dewar must redeem himself...

The Prime Master desperately seeks the cure for bone flu - a mysterious and deadly malady that is striking down the talented in Thaiburley's highest Rows...

Kat, the renegade nick, forms an uneasy alliance with her sister Charveve, and the two lead the Tattooed Men through the dark streets of the City Below in search of the Soul Thief: the evil monster that murdered their mother and consigned both girls to the gladitorial hellhole known as the Pits...

Welcome back to Thaiburley, the City of Dreams, the City of 100 Rows.

Attachments

• BridgesCityofhopeandDespairextrawaterfinal comp.jpg
    BridgesCityofhopeandDespairextrawaterfinal comp.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,749
  • CityOfHD-72dpi.jpg
    CityOfHD-72dpi.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 228
Now do I buy it in March from Amazon and carry it to Eastercon for Ian to sign, or buy it at Eastercon. Decisions, decisions......:rolleyes:

Congratulations, Ian! It's certainly piqued my curiosity!

Strange, I didn't see a copy of your previous one over here but now I know that you do distribute in Australia and at the same time as the UK, I shall try and hunt out a copy of both.

Excellent news, Ian.

I shall definitely be on the lookout for the book from early March.

Thanks, everyone! :)

I loved writing City of Hope and Despair, as it allowed me to expand on the characters I'd introduced in the first book and the world they inhabit, while subjecting them to all sorts of dramas and dangers.

I'm currently hard at work on the third book, City of Light and Shadow, which concludes this particular story arc, though I hope to return to the city of Thaiburley in the future.

I've just received my author's copies of the book... and have to say I'm delighted with how it looks! :)

Great news, Ian - I'm really looking forward to this, having enjoyed 'City of Dreams and Nightmare' so much. And the cover art is amazing too! :)

Thanks, Patrick. Glad you enjoyed the first book so much and I hope that City of Hope and Despair proves equally good!

If I had a book published, I would want to get people to buy it, not read it for free on a website. (only 3 chapters, but still) I way prefer to buy books and see if I like them in person.

Most publishers put a sample/taster of a new book up on their website these days. It has proved to be good marketing. A lot of folks don't go to a bookstore and browse through the books, reading a page here and there. (They buy their books online) Putting up sample chapters is the internet version of this.

Well, today's the day the book officially hits the shelves... Now to see whether anyone actually reads it or if it disappears without a trace...