The Hobbit - The Movie

KaptariMind

Argonaut
Favorite series: The Black Company Currently read
I don't know if there is another thread about this somewhere (there are a lot of places it could be—scary for us newbies) but I thought this was as good a place as any for this convo...

What is everybody thinking so far about the upcoming movie? Excited that Peter Jackson has decided to direct himself or bummed that Guillermo del Toro is no longer on board? Thoughts on what they're up to involving characters from LOTR that aren't in the book? Happy it's going to be a two-parter, or mad we'll have to pay twice?

I, myself am torn on all of these issues, so I'd love to hear what other fans have to say about it!

Howdy KaptariMind,

I'm hoping for a good movie, but it would have been interesting to see how Mr Del Toro would have made it. Two parts? Why not, longer adventure and a special box set edition for the Hobbit.

Hey Starbeast.

I know what you mean. Love Jackson, but it would have been cool to see what del Toro would have come with. He's just a little darker/edgier than Jackson. BUT... I trust Jackson, which goes a long way.

And as long as he makes both parts as full and compelling as possible, I'll be perfectly happy to see the film split. I guess recent double-headers have just made me leery... ;)

i'm a little relieved that del Toro is NOT directing the Hobbit... having seen the types of "creatures" he puts into his movies, i can't see his particular style fitting in with what we've seen before or even being respectful to the source material.

Two parter is awesome. Finally some visual involving the White Council. Getting to see some of the power Galadriel, Saruman, Gandalf and Co. can unleash... awesome.

Very excited about it. Don't mind that its split in two parts, thats twice the awesome experience of watching Kick-ass cinema with your friends or family, in fact I hope throughout the coming decades more of Tolkien's Legendarium is adapted to film.

I like Del Toro, but I don't think he was the right man for the job, his style is very different, and I believe this would clash with Jackson's Trilogy which I rewatch every 3 months or so, as a marathon.

Now maybe somewhere in 2014/5, I can start the marathon with the Hobbit films first.:D

No problems. Gets a little confusing when you have films of books, but we try to keep discussion seperated according to medium where possible...

I'm in New Zealand and there was a small article in the paper showing a group photo of all the dwarves, they were having a wee get together and a few bourbons I guess, I laughed though when I saw most of them with beards they don't normally have, like the vampire from *being human* and a local Kiwi actor named Mark Hadlow.

Visually, I'd agree. I'm less sure about his wholesale replacement of JRRT's dialogue, however.

I'm curious Mr Pyan sir, whether you think the movie will be a good thing at least as far as getting new people to read the book, or whether you'd prefer Tolkien's original work to remain (more or less) unsullied?

There's usually a surge in the sales of a book-of-the-film after the movie's release - hopefully this will do the same. But I'd love some feedback on what people that hadn't read LotR before seeing the films thought of the adaptation. Most posts I've seen on fora are from those that had read the book first.

Unsullied? The books will still be read a century from now, when film is a forgotten media, known only to research students and groups of strange people who meet clandestinely in dusty rooms. Whatever you do to them in the short term, the books, any books, will endure.

Visually, I'd agree. I'm less sure about his wholesale replacement of JRRT's dialogue, however.

Although I loved the movies, I was disappointed with most of the dialogue, too. Although I wonder how many of the actors they hired could have delivered the real thing with conviction? I don't mean a line here and there. I mean could they have kept it up through the entire movie?

Bean, Holm, Lee, Hill, Blanchett, and McKellan could have done it for certain. I have my doubts about most of the others.

I agree. But not only would it have been difficult for the actors to maintain, but it may have made the films more difficult to follow for certain viewers—especially younger ones. Highly stylized or even archaic language is much easier to follow in written form (especially when you're unfamiliar with the style) than it is when written. The first time I read The Hobbit, I was in sixth grade, and I remember really having to take my time with some of the dialogue in the beginning. By the end, I was in the flow, and enjoyed it so much I actually ended up turning around and rereading it immediately. But if I had had to listen to said dialogue (especially in a crowded theatre where you can't turn to a parent and ask, "what did he mean?") I worry that I would have been somewhat lost.

That being the case, as long as he's true to the meaning/emotion of the dialogue, I'm pretty happy. I guess I look for the impact. After watching The Hobbit, will I feel the way I felt after having read it? That's what I'm looking for.

i have no doubt about Elijah Wood's ability to pull off the original dialogue. But i agree that most of the others would struggle (aside from those you mention TE) - Viggo and Sean Astin in particular struggled with what they were given, let alone what Tolkien wrote.

The problem Kaptari, is that PJ warps the intentions and emotions of the dialogue to support HIS notion of the storyline. In LotR for instance, for 90% of the production, he was under the impression that Aragorn was the hero of the books.... and not Frodo and Sam. In fact he had shot a scene at the battle before the black gate that had King Elessar fighting Annatar - the "elves deceiving" form of Sauron (thankfully this was replaced with Elessar fighting a troll instead). Throw in the torn, "i don't want to be king" aragorn, which is a complete fabrication, since the Aragorn from the books was MORE than ready to be king... he wanted the throne quite badly.

Throw in the torn, "i don't want to be king" aragorn, which is a complete fabrication, since the Aragorn from the books was MORE than ready to be king... he wanted the throne quite badly.

Not to mention the fact that Elrond had said specifically that he couldn't marry Arwen until he was king, and had reunited the North and South Kingdoms...

But when Aragorn came again to Rivendell he (Elrond) called him to him, and he said:

"... I say to you: Arwen Undómiel shall not diminish her life's grace for less cause. She shall not be the bride of any Man less than the King of both Gondor and Arnor."
RotK - Appendix A (v)