X Men First Class

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
Does Beast have super speed?!
What Nationality is Emma Frost?
Who the hell is Angel and Darwin?
Why is Angel called Angel and not dragonfly lady, when Angel, to me, is Warren??
Who was Tornado Boy? He was pretty. (Apart from the lower part of his face.)

The Erik/Shaw stuff was exactly the same as the Stryker/Wolvie stuff. Perp, is it like that in the comics?

Shaw= anti climax or what! He was all nuked up, then Xavier just freezes him?! Also, the German doctor at the start, was that the same actor?! Cos I didn't even get it was supposed to be the same character right away.

Anyway, despite all that, I did really enjoy it. (Could've done with some Gambit. ;))

Right just a few questions eh Mouse?

Got to keep me on my toes.

Beast - Nah, no superspeed, but he is super-agile and faster than a normal man, so using mobility and stuff he might appear really fast.

Emma is meant to be Boston New England, Blue blood, the daughter of a really really snooty business man, who grew his children hard. She rebelled, walked out and made a fortune all on her own. (So American)

Darwin - In comics continuity, in a nice bit of retro-fitting, Xavier created a second band of X-Men between the originals and what came to be the Uncanny. One of the members was Darwin. He was apparently killed in his first mission, but continually adapted until he came back. Is now an active member of X-Factor.

Darwin.jpg

Angel - bit of a weird one this, she is a fairly recent creation, sometime member of the X-Men. Her real name is Angel Salvadore, and she has wings in her back. She literally took her name and was Angel (fourth one to use the name, Warren is the second). She lost her powers and is no longer really an active character.

Riptide is Tornado Boy... a really nasty piece of work, a member of the Marauders.

riptide-x-men-first-class.jpg

Shaw is nothing like the character in the film (well he is, but not...) they tweaked his powers slightly, made him semi-immortal, but he has nothing to do with Magneto. Whatsoever. At least in the early days.

We'll be meeting him soon in my X-Men thread...

And why they chose the X-Men they did, just for something different I expect.

digs

Thicker than water
Shaw= anti climax or what! He was all nuked up, then Xavier just freezes him?! Also, the German doctor at the start, was that the same actor?! Cos I didn't even get it was supposed to be the same character right away.
Yeah! It's like they wanted to get Shaw out of the way so they could focus more on the whole Xavier/Erik thing. But I mean, he spent however long absorbing all this power and didn't even get to use a bit of it? Bummer.

Anyway, despite all that, I did really enjoy it. (Could've done with some Gambit. ;))
Seconded. Gambit rules.

Moonbat

Chuckle Churner
Kevin Bacon did play Sebastien Shaw and was the character at the beginning, but he seemed to look older in 1939 (or whenever it was, 194?) than he did in the 60's, the only way I can explain this is his power gave him the ability not to age and it wasn't until the nuclear power that arrived after 194? that he could really charge up and be ok.

Emma Frost should have been able to mind control people into letting her out of her prison, but I guess she chose not to.

This film does sort of blow any X-men continuity out the window, with regards to some of the characters and their ages.

Emma frost is younger in X-Men origins: Wolverine than she is in First class, and in Wolverine she is seen with Scott who is teenage, but scott's brother Havoc is teenage in the 60's (making him more than 4 or 5 years older than scott)
Also there is a section when Charles looks through Cerebro and sees (apparantly) Storm, Scott and Jean Gray, all of them children, probably not accurate on their ages consdering they were fairly young (ish) in the original X-Men films.

Mystique's relationship with Charles is a bit bizzare considering they hardly know each other (or don't appear to) in the X1/2/& 3, but then again I suppose they could fall out more in between the 60's and the 90's.

Still a cool film though, and I liked Azazel, I think he is supposed to be Night crawler's Dad, with Mystique as his Mum. But I doubt they will go down that path.

devilsgrin

Kevin Bacon did play Sebastien Shaw and was the character at the beginning, but he seemed to look older in 1939 (or whenever it was, 194?) than he did in the 60's, the only way I can explain this is his power gave him the ability not to age and it wasn't until the nuclear power that arrived after 194? that he could really charge up and be ok.

Emma Frost should have been able to mind control people into letting her out of her prison, but I guess she chose not to.

This film does sort of blow any X-men continuity out the window, with regards to some of the characters and their ages.

Emma frost is younger in X-Men origins: Wolverine than she is in First class, and in Wolverine she is seen with Scott who is teenage, but scott's brother Havoc is teenage in the 60's (making him more than 4 or 5 years older than scott)
Also there is a section when Charles looks through Cerebro and sees (apparantly) Storm, Scott and Jean Gray, all of them children, probably not accurate on their ages consdering they were fairly young (ish) in the original X-Men films.

Mystique's relationship with Charles is a bit bizzare considering they hardly know each other (or don't appear to) in the X1/2/& 3, but then again I suppose they could fall out more in between the 60's and the 90's.

Still a cool film though, and I liked Azazel, I think he is supposed to be Night crawler's Dad, with Mystique as his Mum. But I doubt they will go down that path.

the relationship between Charles and Raven is largely irrelevent to X1, 2 and 3. They NEVER come face to face in either movie. However, we have proof that she knows him, in that she can assume his form - down to matching retinas.

Azazel was cool - but since he's a comic Demon, and not a Mutant, the relationship between he and Mystique could be glossed over entirely.

Ororo, Jean and Scott are probably supposed to be in their late 20s in the films... yet the actresses playing Storm and Phoenix were closer to 40, and James Marsden was at least 30... so i don't think its too much of an issue for them to be kids then.
The Only issue i have in regards to Age is Havok. But i can overlook it, since we see a glimpse of Scott in Cerebro, and he could feasibly be "older" than Alex then - we don't see him for remotely long enough to age him.

Emma, i suspect CHOSE to remain safely where she was whilst all the drama was unfolding off the Cuban coast.
ALSO the Emma in Wolverine is NOT Emma Frost. The "emma" in Origins is able to shift form yet, never are we told its to diamond. also she is Never named emma FROST. We know who Emma Frost's sisters (and brother) are, and none of them are Kayla Silverfox.

Lastly on Continuity. Apart from minor inconsistencies, the X-Men movies, attempt to move in the same universe. Obviously our little "cameo" is after Origins - since He's wearing "that" jacket. At no point have the producers, writers or directors attempted to move in a continuity that mirrors that of the Earth 616 Universe.

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter

That's exactly the way I read it as well

Moonbat

Chuckle Churner
ALSO the Emma in Wolverine is NOT Emma Frost.

I think you might be wrong there, According to this clip (from the movie trailer) she is Emma Frost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDY5T1nSBys

but as you have noted, the cameo in First Class has to be after Wolverine (due to the jacket he picks up in that movie) so maybe her age isn't a concern. But...that then brings Scott into it again, in Wolverine (see him blind folded in the you tube clip) he is (I'd guess) about 16-ish, in the First class the boy we see playing baseball in shades is (I'm pretty sure) younger than that. And if Scott is 16 in wolverine which is pre-1962 then in the X-men 1/2/3 movies set in the 90's (x men 2 released in 2003 so maybe even 00's) he's around about 47. That doesn't really add up, but then I'm being pernickety.

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
I was just thinking about the contradictions between this film and the original three (four) X-Movies (as have been documented here) and just happened to catch the SFX review where it summed it up quite nicely:

"This is more than a prequel. This is more than a reboot. This is a mutation."

For the full review...

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/05/26/x-men-first-class-film-review/?ns_service=mail&ns_robot=partner-communicator&ns_mail_uid=712&ns_mail_job=1006095&ns_campaign=1006095&ns_source=Communicator&ns_mchannel=email-n&ns_linkname=Untitled103&ns_fee=0&ns_recipient=timjames378@btinternet.com

devilsgrin

I think you might be wrong there, According to this clip (from the movie trailer) she is Emma Frost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDY5T1nSBys

but as you have noted, the cameo in First Class has to be after Wolverine (due to the jacket he picks up in that movie) so maybe her age isn't a concern. But...that then brings Scott into it again, in Wolverine (see him blind folded in the you tube clip) he is (I'd guess) about 16-ish, in the First class the boy we see playing baseball in shades is (I'm pretty sure) younger than that. And if Scott is 16 in wolverine which is pre-1962 then in the X-men 1/2/3 movies set in the 90's (x men 2 released in 2003 so maybe even 00's) he's around about 47. That doesn't really add up, but then I'm being pernickety.

I actually remember seeing that trailer way back before that goddawful movie came out. The defense to my argument that she is not really Emma FROST is that she is listed in the credits ONLY as "Emma - Kayla's Sister" Not as Emma Frost. Lots of times things in a trailer won't be in a final cut of a movie.

Devil's Advocate

I lie. A lot. Honest!
Very good movie. The best of the summer, so far, in my opinion.

I've been pretty disappointed with Thor and the latest Pirates (though I didn't expect much, anyway). And Green Lantern looked horrible enough in the trailers.

This was the first movie of the summer that made me glad I spent the money to watch it in the cinema.

Red 13

Final Fantasy 7 nutter
I really enjoyed it. By far surpasses the disapointment of x-men 3 and Wolverine. There were a few really cheesy moments but thats to be expected in a big hollywood production.
The only other thing i wasn't sure about was the flying characyers scenes (banshee and that butterfly kind vof girl can't remember her name.) they looked a little bit cheap and ridiculous in my opinion. Still, i thoroughly enjoyed it!

devilsgrin

The only other thing i wasn't sure about was the flying characyers scenes (banshee and that butterfly kind vof girl can't remember her name.) they looked a little bit cheap and ridiculous in my opinion. Still, i thoroughly enjoyed it!

I thought these were very well done actually. considering None of the previous X-films included flying combat, and that the two combatants were novices, i thought it was really well done. With the possible exception of Angel's strafing-spitting in somewhat rapid-fire. Banshee's flying was done flawlessly though, and Angels (she's more blow-fly than butterfly) wasn't too bad either.

Red 13

Final Fantasy 7 nutter
I thought these were very well done actually. considering None of the previous X-films included flying combat, and that the two combatants were novices, i thought it was really well done. With the possible exception of Angel's strafing-spitting in somewhat rapid-fire. Banshee's flying was done flawlessly though, and Angels (she's more blow-fly than butterfly) wasn't too bad either.

I was just incredibly aware that they were suspended in front of a blue screen backdrop. I don't see how else they would have done it to be honest so i know i'm just being fussy.

Gabriel007

say w00t?
I found the movie quite entertaining though it annoyed to find Mystique so weak and Angel Salvadore is probably the most annoying character thoughout the entire movie.
Also it annoyed me immensely they didn't include Cyclops since he was originally the first one Xavier recruited in the comics.

Anthony G Williams

Greybeard
This is the fourth film in the X-Men series I have reviewed, and I wasn't expecting much since such series generally run out of steam and I had read some critical comments about this one. So it came as a pleasant surprise to discover that it is at least as good as the other films in the series - which is to say, very good indeed by comparison with most superhero movies.

For those unfamiliar with the way this film fits in, it is a prequel to the others and describes the beginning of the mutants' story when they were still young (and are therefore played by different actors). The story begins in 1944 with a young Jewish boy in Germany who subsequently becomes Magneto, while at the same time in the USA Charles Xavier is meeting the girl who becomes Mystique. The remainder of the story is set in the early 1960s when the existence of the X-Men first becomes public, concluding with the Cuban missile crisis which nearly led to World War III (with archive clips from TV of that period included).

The film takes its time in developing the main characters and showing their back-stories, plus their uneasy relationship with the CIA before their existence becomes public. This adds far more depth to the story than you find in most such films and makes the dilemmas which the mutants face towards the end of the film much more credible. I found it engaging throughout, with the "human" story of the mutants never being drowned out by the inevitable spectacular CGI depictions of super-powers and battle sequences.

Incidentally, further to my discussion in my earlier blog post on Inglourious Basterds about the definition of alternative history, this film is right on the borderline: while the X-Men get involved in the missile crisis the broad outcome is not changed, which is the main criterion for identifying alternative histories.

(An extract from my SFF blog: http://sciencefictionfantasy.blogspot.co.uk/)

barrett1987

I really didn't understand why this movie was popular. I felt it was dross. The new one coming with a mix of both casts is an interesting idea but i can't help but think its going to be a complete mess. I hope im wrong.