The Stand - Feature Film

This is one of my all time favourite books but i can't see 1100 pages translating into a two or three hour film too well. One of the most memorable things about this book was the characterisation. I can't see that coming over at all well in a movie.

It depends, really. The home television miniseries, admittedly, is probably the best translation of the apocalypse that is The Stand, and I don't think anyone can argue that. It may not have captured every last detail, but there was at least a glimmer of everything.

I would imagin that the only real, secure way they can pull off The Stand in a feature film format is to base it off of the comic series. The graphic novel is far shorter than the original text, for one. And, while I haven't read it personally and can't say for certain, I imagine it will be far easier to incorporate into a film format, visually.

Another way to look at it--If they can safely turn the Les Miserables into a film, they can do it with The Stand. Is it going to get the hardcore fans up in arms? Absolutely. That's not the point, though. The point is to A) get the story to a wider audience (who may then go and read the book), and B) turn a profit.

And frankly, even if the movie sucked, I'd probably go see it just because it's The Stand. Why? 'cause we all know we will at least want to peek.

A lot of the story is characterization IMO and a lot of scene setting and world building so that could translate into more epic visuals rather than describing how a few guys worked for a calculator factory in 15 pages. I think a lot of SK's verbal diarrhea in the book is mostly padding rather than plot driving story telling. I think it could work with some clever editing. Hope it's big budget and doesn't go straight to dvd or tv.

A lot of the story is characterization IMO and a lot of scene setting and world building so that could translate into more epic visuals rather than describing how a few guys worked for a calculator factory in 15 pages. I think a lot of SK's verbal diarrhea in the book is mostly padding rather than plot driving story telling. I think it could work with some clever editing. Hope it's big budget and doesn't go straight to dvd or tv.
Hi everyone

If it's something that would be going right to DVD or perhaps TV it would be redundant, given how good the old miniseries is.

Yeah, I only just watched the original miniseries a coupe of weeks back. Still good, but an does it look dated. I'm interested to see what they bring to the table in a big screen adaptation.

Apparently the first time King knew about this was when he read about it on t'internet.

I get the feeling that overall, he's not entirely thrilled about it.