The Best Classic Doctor Who Story.

The good news is that it was I that started the thread, and the bad news is that I might just have forgotten :D

I know which magazine though...

I remember there were some very long stories with the 2nd Doctor, Patrick Troughton.
Sadly I think they've all been wiped.

Not all PT stories were wiped - the BBC released DVDs of the survivors. Some only exist as one or two odd episodes and were put on one or two compilations of early ones with odd Hartnell survivors.

I remember there were some very long stories with the 2nd Doctor, Patrick Troughton.
Sadly I think they've all been wiped.

As Pam said not all of them have been wiped.

The longest story of the Troughton error was his last, the War Games which ran for a whopping ten parts. It is available on DVD and is quite a good story to boot, introducing the Time Lords and a regeneration or at least the start of one...

The longest story though was a William Hartnell story that ran for 12 episodes (and an extra prologue story so 13 episodes in total). This was when the episodes had individual names, and it was blanketed under the title of The Dalek Masterplan. Unfortunately a lot of this one are missing.

If forced to choose then I would probably say The Genesis of the Daleks myself. It has some great lines, thoughtful writing and introduced Davros, however it also suffers from a lot of pointless running around in corridors, and it was the point when Sarah Jane turned from being a feisty investigative reporter into just another screaming female assistant. As I already said, I'm also aware that everyone has a favourite period, that is generally only as a result of their age, and that I am most likely biased for that reason.

Perp, is the Dalek Masterplan the enormo-story that happened when there was a dispute and the cast was on holiday, so they had to hire in a whole guest cast for a long Doctor Who story (a bit like Sally Sparrow, but for a dozen episodes or so)?

I read the book of that ages ago. It was quite good, from fuzzy memory, if a little peculiar.

I think you might be right Thad, like you I'm very fuzzy on the story as I too only have the novel to go on (and it was a loooong time ago)

Some say that only the coolest people have read that book.

As Pam said not all of them have been wiped.

The longest story of the Troughton error was his last, the War Games which ran for a whopping ten parts. It is available on DVD and is quite a good story to boot, introducing the Time Lords and a regeneration or at least the start of one...

Freudian slip? :) I'm very fond of Zoe and miss her. Of course, her immediate successor was excellent, too...

The longest story though was a William Hartnell story that ran for 12 episodes (and an extra prologue story so 13 episodes in total). This was when the episodes had individual names, and it was blanketed under the title of The Dalek Masterplan. Unfortunately a lot of this one are missing.

Good God, that one was endless. I have watched all of the first 12 seasons, including via reconstructions. In fact, by the time I was done, they'd found two episodes! I guess when I go through the 60s again (from my perspective, Dr. Who comes out next year), I can watch them!

MT, not sure I've seen the Mind Robber. Which Doctor was that?

I love The Mind Robber. It's not like anything else in DW. If we're allowed to put aside some special-effect issues, Kinda is a hell of a script - complex and layered and full of really good ideas and characters.

I'm a bit of a heretic, in that I think Genesis is great, but an episode too long and with a couple of GIANT CLAM bits that don't work.

I love The Mind Robber. It's not like anything else in DW. If we're allowed to put aside some special-effect issues, Kinda is a hell of a script - complex and layered and full of really good ideas and characters.

I'm a bit of a heretic, in that I think Genesis is great, but an episode too long and with a couple of GIANT CLAM bits that don't work.

Oh yeah Kinda! I loved Kinda, although not quite enough to put it in my top five. And its sequel Snakedance was pretty good too.

Oh, I think I might've seen it, now you say that.

Just testing the spoiler tag (yes, yes, it's really old, but still):
I'm Batman

Story spoiler, and query about the serial:
Is it where the TARDIS explodes in darkness?

You're right about it being trippy. Was rather good, though.

I think you might be right Thad, like you I'm very fuzzy on the story as I too only have the novel to go on (and it was a loooong time ago)

To be really picky it was actually The Daleks' Masterplan. I haven't heard the story about the cast being on holiday - they appear in most of the episodes though I believe they're not in the 'prequel' episode where Nick Courtney made his first appearance in DW (later Lethbridge-Stewart) - read about it here, anyway - The Daleks' Master Plan - Wikipedia.

Talking of Lethbridge-Stewart, I have a soft spot for "The Daemons" where he says the iconic line - "Chap with the wings there. Five rounds rapid!"