WARNING! This board is full of spoilers!!

Lady of Winterfell - Sounds like I am in for a treat, I will stick with it then. Thx!! I did notice one thing about GRRM's style, even though he is explaining something irrelevant that doesn't affect the story he still keeps your attention and that IMO separates the men from the boys. :)

Thx Lady of Winterfell - I noticed GRRM still keeps your attention even if he is using filler, that says a lot about the skill of the writer. I will stick with it as I want to see what happens like you mentioned.

Boaz and Lady OW - ***SPOILERS AHEAD*** -> I read Catelyns chapter when she captured Tyrion in the inn and they made their way through the section when they got attacked and I realized, man, this is just plain amazing. I think I read about 25 pages after I read Eddards chapter about the tourney and melee and all I can say is things are heating up now, the conspiracy to kill King Robert in the melee competition and have no one to blame because it was pure competition and he accepted that fact is just plain brilliant. You guys were spot on in telling me to keep at it. It feels like every chapter is a pay off, not only the ending of the book. It seems like I am really hooked now as things are taking shape. I want to know who is responsible for this "drama", I presume one of the Lannisters is at it, but then again I do not know because Cersei said Robert must not fight. It's all up in the air and I have no idea :) I will happily progress through the book! Woohoo, just been happily converted to a GRRM fan properly this time. Thanks for the motivation you guys!!!!! Strangely I found one of my friends have read up to AFFC and she said if you are a fantasy fan do not let ASOIAF go unread or I will seriously be missing out an excellent story. Basically I can now confirm that this is a "cracking" good read. Weird as I found that comment on one of Tom Clancy's novels from a reviewer and now I understand what it really means. Sorry for the ramble and thanks for putting up with my nagging :D

Last edited:
Woo-Hoo!! I knew we could convert you, or GRRM could anyway!

It only gets better!

Oh, and rambling is kinda what we do here!:D

Okay, so with all the GRRM talk on this forum and threads constantly appearing in the 'New Posts' search when I log in I figured I'd check out these books. Afterall, there has to be a reason why you're all talking about them so much :p

So, I downloaded the 'free sample' of AGOT from Amazon to see if I felt the story/books would be for me! And, I think I might be hooked... oh dear, more books to add to that darn TBR list :p

Now, I've had to skip through this entire thread just in case there are spoilers even in this bit but... I'm slightly confused and so wanted to ask; does GRRM generally 'jump' his stories around a lot, or is this something I'm experiencing just because I downloaded the free Kindle sample?

I like what I'm reading, but I'm confused because each chapter seems as though it is happening somewhere else and at some other time :confused: Is this normal? Do I just need to pay a little more attention to what I am reading in order to understand it?

Or, if I get the books will they make more sense?

Thank you :)

He changes viewpoint character each chapter, and most often this will be at a different place and sometimes a slightly different time. It took me a few chapters to get used to, then it's no problem.

But yes, you have to pay attention! You'll get more out of it if you do.

Okay, thank you HareBrain.

I shall have to check out the library to see if I can get a proper paper copy of the book and then shall sit back all comfy-like and pay attention.

I'm just glad to know that it is his style and not just me being a little bit thick :p

When I first started reading, it took me a couple of chapters to get used to it as well, but then it becomes normal and easy to read. But definately try to pay attention, there is a lot going on in these books. :)

And make sure to avoid all the threads in the GRRM forum until you've read the books. You'll be glad you did. Enjoy! :) (oh, and be sure to tell us what you think).

Well, I restarted the sample I'd downloaded and, paying closer attention this time, I've come to the end of the 45 pages I got for free... and... and I really want to read what happens next!!!

Alas, as funds won't allow me to purchase the proper paper version (or even kindle version) of this book I have had to add myself to the library's waiting list to get it!

I am sure the suspense whilst I wait for the all important e-mail telling me the book is ready to be collected is going to be too much to bear... I have no other choice!!! :p

As soon as I get a copy - and read it - I shall let you know what I think of the full book :D

Well the next time you come and see Mrs Perp, if you still haven't got a copy I'll lend you mind (it is hardback though)

A very kind offer. Thank you.

I'm half day from work today, due to the dreaded visit to the hygienist :(, which I am sure means I will end up in the library en route :D

(Must remember... reading hardback books in bed equals concussion! Must only read sitting in a chair :p)

It's no good... Everytime I visit the 'New Posts' section I see threads that look interesting, and I don't always scan across to see where the thread has been posted! Many a time I have ended up yelling "NO, NO, NO!" at the screen because I've wound up in the GRRM section yet again and rushed to hit the back button before I read something that will spoil the books... :eek: Darn the library for not having the book in yet, I'm still waiting for the e-mail telling meI can come and collect it anyone would think it was be popular :confused:)

Now, if you could all please refrain from posting until I have read the books and can join in, I'd appreciate it :p

What do you mean, "NO!"

Well then there's nothing else for it... Perp... Can I come and visit pretty please? And... um, borrow your books please!? I'll bring biscuits and cake!!! :p;)

Well then there's nothing else for it... Perp... Can I come and visit pretty please? And... um, borrow your books please!? I'll bring biscuits and cake!!! :p;)

You should have heard from Mrs P. by now, but you had me a biscuits...

You should have heard from Mrs P. by now, but you had me a biscuits...

LOL

I have indeed heard from Mrs. P... I shall see you Saturday with plenty of biscuits as a suitable bribe/thank you :D

P.S. What's your favourite???

Last edited:
"Warning, this board is full of spoilers"

Yes, and like a complete spanner I think I may have just read one for ADWD. :(

Back