Discovered Authors 2011

One I would like to recommend is Tom Egeland, a norwegian writer. I kinda discovered him last year, but since I just signed up here, I'll put him on my 2011-list anyway.

I first started reading a book called Guardians of the Pact, a book in the same style as Dan Brown's books that evolves around a mystery concerning egyptians, vikings and a mummy. It wasn't too interesting, though, so I quit about halfway through. Still, he has written other books.

I picked up Circle's End, the prequel to Guardians and read it more or less in one sitting. I say prequel, but it was published long before Guardians. The funny thing is a lot of people compare him to Dan Brown, but Circle's End was written two years before Dan Brown wrote DaVinci Code. But Angels & Demons was written a year before Circle's End, so who ripped of who isn't easy to tell. What I do know is that Tom Egeland is a much, much better writer than Dan Brown.

Anyway, what really got Tom Egeland popular over here in Norway was the third in the series: Gospel of Lucifer. Circle's End was great and Guardians of the Pact decent, but Lucifer... now that's a story. I can't think of any bad parts in the entire story. Even the ending was pretty aweome. Plus, he even managed to keep it somewhat realistic the whole time even if you can imagine what it's about with a title like that.

Then there are his other books. I know some have been translated to english, but I have them in norwegian. Sorry if I use the wrong english title. I'll look up the correct title if you want me to. But anyway, let's see...

- Night of the wolf: Terrorists attack and take over a tv-studio and keep everyone hostage for 24 hours. Quite creepy stuff, and was turned into a mini-series on tv here in Norway.

. Troll Mirror: (so not the correct title, sorry). Not entirely sure, but it's something about a married couple who lets some stranger live with them, only to discover he's not quite what he appears to be. Pure horror in many ways.

- Ragnarok: One of his more interesting books. A married couple go on a vacation, but loose control of the car and crash. When they wake up, they make their way to the nearest village only to find it's populated by vikings. They try to run back to the car, but strangely there's no sign of the car, path or anything or anyone else from the modern world. Whoopsie...

- Ouija board: Mostly a normal story about a serial killer, but has some decent supernatural elements too.

He does have more books than these, but these should get you started. Some of them have been translated to english, so what are you waiting for? :)

Add Walter M Miller to the list- just read a 1954 novella called Death of a Spaceman, very touching. My only question is, is there a Walter M. Miller Jr who also writes SF, or are they one and the same?

There is a new author with a book called Drylor coming out later this month. Google Ryan Tomasella, he is kinda underground atm but I'm excited to read this book it seems quite interesting. Currently there isn't a wikipedia page but if you google "Drylor the first artifact" you will find the fan facebook page for it until it comes out

I am a fair way through The Affinity Bridge by George Mann and it is absolutely MY type of books. Blending history with fantasy it recreates a Victorian world rather different from that which did happen.
Excellent book - really enjoying it and will be reading more. IT is great when you find an author in whose world you want to spend time with.

Beneath The Shadows– by Sara Foster

This is the second book of the story and for those of us who enjoy historical fiction, this reads like a modern day Wuthering Heights!

‘Grace feels unsettled living on the isolated moors with its ghostly tales and blanketing snow’.

I shall certainly be looking for book one in the 2nd hand shops and hopefully the library will have the new book in soon.

Read The Creator today by Clifford. D. Simak. Loved it, a different take on time-travel. Will be on the lookout for some more of his work for sure.
I recently purchased, based upon recommendations here, Simak's novel City. I am yet to read it but gather it is universally acclaimed as a real classic of SF.

I recently purchased, based upon recommendations here, Simak's novel City. I am yet to read it but gather it is universally acclaimed as a real classic of SF.

Well, not quite universally. But, yeah, it'd be on most every list the pro pundits would make. I hope you enjoy it and, as I said, I leave open the possibility it'll be more impressive if I expect it to be less impressive. ;)

Neal Asher's my first discovered author this year. I'm on the last book of the Spatterjay trilogy. Very good. I'll definately be reading more of his.

Yes, The Skinner, The Voyage of the Sable Keech and now on to Orbus.

So far this year the new authors for me are:

Helen Fielding - I actually thought Bridge Jones the movie was better.
JM Barrie - I quite enjoyed reading Peter Pan.
Christopher Priest - really enjoyed The Prestige, and will look for more of his books.
Douglas Adams - not as overjoyed with his work as I should have been, but oh well.
Jane Austen - I'm probably one of the few people that hadn't read Pride and Prejudice yet.
Michelle Moran - Solid, but may not pick up anything else. Tried to be like Philippa Gregory, but not as good.

My latest discovery of a superb American author Bill Bryson has brought me so much joy. Can't recommend enough of his -

Hilarious travel books Notes from A Small Island (namely Britain;)) and Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe;

Highly enjoyable and informative popular science book A Short History Of Nearly Everything. ("for all those who couldn't understand A Brief History of Time")

I thought it was quite mediocre but I have to admit that my view is more of an exception rather than the rule...

I'm currently reading a book called Dante's Equation by Jane Jensen, and although it's just over 600 pages I can't remember having read a book this fast before. (I've still got about 150 pages left, but I'll finish it tomorrow, easily.) I won't bother tell you anything about the book other than it's brilliant and well worth a read.

I'm not sure if she qualifies as a new author as she has written and co-written several computer games (like the Gabriel Knight-series and Grey Matter), but I have never read a book by her before. But I will definitely read more. :)

Edit: And ta-da! "Gabrield Knight: Sins of the fathers" and "Judgement Day" are in the mail. Yay me! :D

Last edited:
Jack Campbells' the Lost Fleet: Dauntless. I've been looking forward to reading these for a while.