Brandon Sanderson

Pedro Del Mar

I am content
Hi All,

I was looking for the Brandon Sanderson thread under "Authors" and realised he doesn't have his own thread. Does anyone else agree that he deserves his own now? I'd say so as I think he's proving to be a more than competent author and seems to be producing quality novels out on a frequent basis.

Thoughts?

Well I would not argue with it.

Not only is he completing a major fantasy work (some would say as well if not better than the original author - at least his last few books), but his own works (those I have read so far have been exceptional)

But I think it also comers down to the number of threads posted in his own name, and quite a lot of those posted have been under the Robert Jordan banner for obvious reasons.

I am currently reading the second book in his Mistborn series and must say that I am quite impressed. I tend to be quite fickle about a series but I went ahead and bought all three books. His magic system is unique and quite believable. I do find that the word "said" is used far to often which makes some of the passages a bit clumsy at times. Definitely worth reading though.

Sanderson is definitely a current "fad", and a writer with lots of potential.

He has had a number of threads covering his work.

Still, whatever the rules for creating writers' subforums I'd like to see him prove himself a little more first ... bearing in mind that many writers who have proved themselves (recently I've mentioned Alastair Reynolds and David Weber) haven't yet been granted their own SFF forum yet.

Coragem.

Anyone read The Way of Kings yet? The hardcover is over 1200 pages long and was wondering if it any good?

Excellent book, and very, very readable (especially compared to similar sized tomes by guys like Erikson). I heartily recommend it. Sanderson is proving to at least be above-average, particularly given the level of production the guy has. Seriously, he is giving Stephen King's productivity records a run for their money, and his quality is way better.

I really enjoyed The Way of Kings. His Mistborn books started out great but I thought they went downhill with the last two books. I also would recommend Elantris and Warbreaker.

Still, whatever the rules for creating writers' subforums I'd like to see him prove himself a little more first ... bearing in mind that many writers who have proved themselves (recently I've mentioned Alastair Reynolds and David Weber) haven't yet been granted their own SFF forum yet.
Sanderson has proven himself more than, say Abercrombie. The latter only just came out with his fifth book. Sanderson, meanwhile, has written 8 full-length novels (including the last two WoT books) as well as having written a few young adult books (his Alcatraz series). So I don't think that's the issue.

I think the criteria is more to do with how many active threads related to a particular author exist at a given time. It's sort of a way to gauge the popularity of said author on the Chrons, before deciding whether it's worth giving him his own sub-forum.

I really enjoyed The Way of Kings. His Mistborn books started out great but I thought they went downhill with the last two books. I also would recommend Elantris and Warbreaker.

I actually thought the Mistborn series wrapped things up quite nicely. I did feel it drag in the second book, but it recovered well in the third.

I have also read Elantris, which I consider to be Sanderson's weakest novel overall. It's still decent, but there's far too much build-up with not enough payoff. However, Sanderson has said he might write future sequels to it, so that might set things right.

I second the recommendation for Warbreaker.

By the way, did you know that Mistborn is supposed to be a trilogy of trilogies? Yup, there are going to be another 6 novels in the saga. And that's not counting the one that's due to be released in a month or two (which is sort of a stand-alone set in the same universe).

Sanderson has proven himself more than, say Abercrombie. The latter only just came out with his fifth book. Sanderson, meanwhile, has written 8 full-length novels (including the last two WoT books) as well as having written a few young adult books (his Alcatraz series). So I don't think that's the issue.

I think the criteria is more to do with how many active threads related to a particular author exist at a given time. It's sort of a way to gauge the popularity of said author on the Chrons, before deciding whether it's worth giving him his own sub-forum.

Yes, when I saw this thread I thought of Ambercrombie as well. Thus far I've enjoyed Ambercrombie more (the oddities and mannerisms of his characters), but that's just personal preference.

I'm not sure how exact or scientific the criteria is for granting authors their own forum here. But it certainly brings many inconsistencies.

I need to try Sanderson again. I found the first Mistborn a little over-long and unfocussed at times -- as an author myself, I'd say it could've been shorter and more tightly plotted. But I enjoyed it very much. An undemanding, fun read. Unfortunately I kept hearing people say that parts 2 and 4 and disappointed, which put me off.

I really shouldn't pay so much attention to what others are saying!

Beyond that, Sanderson seems quite internet savvy. I've seen many youtube interviews, and it's good to see that he's a really nice-seeming fellow.

Coragem.

Excellent book, and very, very readable (especially compared to similar sized tomes by guys like Erikson). I heartily recommend it. Sanderson is proving to at least be above-average, particularly given the level of production the guy has. Seriously, he is giving Stephen King's productivity records a run for their money, and his quality is way better.

Ok, that's saying a lot and I am a SK fan to the end, no one can come close to him, but will have a sample download of TWOK and see if it works for me.:D