Brandon Sanderson

Discussion in 'Brandon Sanderson' started by Pedro Del Mar, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Pedro Del Mar

Pedro Del Mar I am content

Hi All,

I was looking for the Brandon Sanderson thread under "Authors" and realised he doesn't have his own thread. Does anyone else agree that he deserves his own now? I'd say so as I think he's proving to be a more than competent author and seems to be producing quality novels out on a frequent basis.

Thoughts?

2. Perpetual Man

Perpetual Man Tim James

Well I would not argue with it.

Not only is he completing a major fantasy work (some would say as well if not better than the original author - at least his last few books), but his own works (those I have read so far have been exceptional)

But I think it also comers down to the number of threads posted in his own name, and quite a lot of those posted have been under the Robert Jordan banner for obvious reasons.

3. Gondor75

Gondor75 Member

I am currently reading the second book in his Mistborn series and must say that I am quite impressed. I tend to be quite fickle about a series but I went ahead and bought all three books. His magic system is unique and quite believable. I do find that the word "said" is used far to often which makes some of the passages a bit clumsy at times. Definitely worth reading though.

4. Coragem

Coragem Believer in flawed heroes

I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
    Sanderson is definitely a current "fad", and a writer with lots of potential.

He has had a number of threads covering his work.

Still, whatever the rules for creating writers' subforums I'd like to see him prove himself a little more first ... bearing in mind that many writers who have proved themselves (recently I've mentioned Alastair Reynolds and David Weber) haven't yet been granted their own SFF forum yet.

Coragem.

5. biodroid

biodroid Expensive Gadget User

Anyone read The Way of Kings yet? The hardcover is over 1200 pages long and was wondering if it any good?

6. Clansman

Clansman Lochaber Axeman, QC

Excellent book, and very, very readable (especially compared to similar sized tomes by guys like Erikson). I heartily recommend it. Sanderson is proving to at least be above-average, particularly given the level of production the guy has. Seriously, he is giving Stephen King's productivity records a run for their money, and his quality is way better.

7. Heather Myst

Heather Myst Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed The Way of Kings. His Mistborn books started out great but I thought they went downhill with the last two books. I also would recommend Elantris and Warbreaker.

8. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate I lie. A lot. Honest!

Sanderson has proven himself more than, say Abercrombie. The latter only just came out with his fifth book. Sanderson, meanwhile, has written 8 full-length novels (including the last two WoT books) as well as having written a few young adult books (his Alcatraz series). So I don't think that's the issue.

I think the criteria is more to do with how many active threads related to a particular author exist at a given time. It's sort of a way to gauge the popularity of said author on the Chrons, before deciding whether it's worth giving him his own sub-forum.

I actually thought the Mistborn series wrapped things up quite nicely. I did feel it drag in the second book, but it recovered well in the third.

I have also read Elantris, which I consider to be Sanderson's weakest novel overall. It's still decent, but there's far too much build-up with not enough payoff. However, Sanderson has said he might write future sequels to it, so that might set things right.

I second the recommendation for Warbreaker.

By the way, did you know that Mistborn is supposed to be a trilogy of trilogies? Yup, there are going to be another 6 novels in the saga. And that's not counting the one that's due to be released in a month or two (which is sort of a stand-alone set in the same universe).

9. Coragem

Coragem Believer in flawed heroes

I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f

10. biodroid

biodroid Expensive Gadget User

Ok, that's saying a lot and I am a SK fan to the end, no one can come close to him, but will have a sample download of TWOK and see if it works for me.:D

11. chongjasmine

chongjasmine Well-Known Member

Well, it seems that Brandon Sanderson now has a subforum of his own.