How many books will there be in total?

Pedro Del Mar

I am content
Hi All,

I stopped reading WoT when RJ sadly passed away. I'm now waiting for the rest of the books to be released in paperback so that they all match on my bookcase. I have The Gathering Storm sat waiting for me patiently, Towers of Midnight I believe is due out in paperback in September here in the UK, and I expect A Memory of Light late next year.

Yet I read a rumour somewhere that there will be 15 books in the series not 14, so is A Memory of Light coming out in two parts or is the rumour I read mistaken and AMoL (part 14) the end?

Help please!
:)

As far as I'm aware, and as was reported on the WoT website the lats time I checked, there will only be one last book, Memory of Light - of course there is no guarantee that won't change, knowing what publishers have been like.

It must be noted though that Robert Jordan was adamant that Memory would be the last book in the series no matter how long it was; only his estate, publishers and Brandon Sandeson decided it would be just too long and divided it into three (being the three Sanderson books) so perhaps the rumour has sprung from that.

crooksy, it may be that they will split the paperback in two, because paperbacks just don't bind very well compared to hardcovers when the book is a huge Jordan/Sanderson behemoth. Splitting a paperback in two, however, is strictly a publisher decision, because of the binding issue.

Clansman could well be right - I did not think of that as a strong possibility. All indications are that Memory is going to be long, and as a precedent when Tad Williams Green Angel Tower was published, it ran to over a thousand pages, and was split into two for the paperback.

P.S. just re-read my first message on this topic and realised how ridiculous it sounds....
"so that they all match on my bookcase" - makes me sound like a right knob! Guess you know what I mean though when you have 11 or so books in a row on your shelf and you don't want to spoil the look! ha ha

Out of curiosity, what is the upper limit for pages when it comes to mass market paperbacks? Some of those Malazan books are huge, I think Dust of Dreams and Toll the Hounds run for 1200+ pages as paperbacks. If Memory of Light is going to be longer than that to the point where it is split in two, then it will be the longest WOT book by far, which makes me quite excited!

I think its safe to say that Brandon will go for however long it takes to tell the story well. I think he's doing great, to be honest.