Your Highest Recommended Sci-Fi Mag and why?

Andr01d

So I have doubled in a couple different Sci-Fi magazines and so far the only one that has truly grabbed my interest is Analog: Science Fiction and fact.
I have been a brief subscriber to bother Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine and Asimov's but found them strangely lacking. I felt Analog had the most thoughtful pieces that bordered on the excellence and thought of Ray Bradbury and other great Sci-Fi authors who really had something to say, not just writing stories for the sake of a plot and two dimensional characters.

What are you thoughts? I want to know what Sci-Fi mag you love and why you love it.
Cheers.
Andr01d.

Interzone: excellent fiction and equally excellent non-fiction, including the incomparable Nick Lowe on films. Plus, Interzone now has entirely colour interior art, and is beautifully designed.

Thanks for the post. I am always looking for a well publish piece of paper.
cheers.

I've been an Analog subscriber for years, it's absolutely first rate.

However, recently I have been having problems getting my copies. They should be delivered by post but recently they haven't been arriving.

Where re you based, Anro1d (I am in the UK) and how do you obtain your copies?

I am based in South Korea at the moment. I knew it was going to be hard to get English books here so I grabbed a Amazon Kindle and I completely love it. Analog just downloads onto it every months, its great.
Sorry about your predicament. I can understand if not having the hard copy is somewhat displeasing but I find it quite nice.

I subscibe to SFX mainly because they have reviews in there for books, cinema, DVD, tv etc as well as some faily decent features. It gets my vote.

Analog is available for Kindle, but they still don't accept electronic submissions.
Droid why do you find F&SF and asimovs lacking, just curious.

Up till last year I would have said Interzone, but I find the quality of stories has fallen off considerably; and unlike Ian I find the artwork unbearable - garish and unsubtle and a serious distraction from the reading experience.

Analog has improved a good deal lately, so I recommend that. Don't like the Digest format though.

For consistent quality year after year, I would have to give The Mag of F & SF my endorsement.

Anything with Hugo Gernsback as editor. Really.

Considering the he's been dead for 44 years, it's amazing how he continues to edit magazines. Although, that's probably one of his shady tricks.

Well, there was no rule about having to be able to subscribe to them. :) Seems like Farnesworth or somebody would be more likely to edit From Beyond, though.

I never liked F&SF because of the first F. Felt like I was buying half a magazine by design. So I stuck with Asimov's and Analog. Analog tends to be more solid and consistent and more core SF, while Asimov's used to be less consistent and sometimes not very SF but, at its best, could be great. But I quit reading (for non-literary reasons) before Williams became editor - seems like it's become a fantasy mag since. (I'm not demeaning fantasy in general - I just think it should be a spice in an SF mag if it's there at all. F&SF should be half fantasy and Realms of Fantasy should obviously be just that. But when it's something with Campbell's history behind it or Asimov's name on it, I expect SF.)

Up till last year I would have said Interzone, but I find the quality of stories has fallen off considerably; and unlike Ian I find the artwork unbearable - garish and unsubtle and a serious distraction from the reading experience.

Beg to Differ with you there. I reckon Interzone's having a bit of a quiet Rennaisance of late. A lot of the art work I find dynamic and risk-taking- there isn't an artist among them I don't rate and no one doing anything in story mags thats quite like Warwick Fraser-Coombes' stuff.

And as for writer's- Jason Stoddart, Mercurio DeRivera, Nina Allan, Chris-blumin'-Beckett! What's not to like?

I subscibe to SFX mainly because they have reviews in there for books, cinema, DVD, tv etc as well as some faily decent features. It gets my vote.

Agreed! I subscribe to SFX and the April issue is having a bit of a re-design as well so I would imagine its going to get even better!

I've bought a few issues of Sci-fi Now for a few good articles but I wouldn't say it's as good as SFX

Yeah, Dask is apparently camping the topic. Don't whip him so hard with the obit. Beside of which, I was thinking that with the Dell Forums considering the magazine topic as a recourse, this forum, which has been rather slow, is apt to liven up, and wasn't Chronicles Andy Porter's magazine? Porter'd be turning over comments hand over fist--but I heard he's passed along, to the maker.

Yeah, Dask is apparently camping the topic. Don't whip him so hard with the obit. Beside of which, I was thinking that with the Dell Forums considering the magazine topic as a recourse, this forum, which has been rather slow, is apt to liven up, and wasn't Chronicles Andy Porter's magazine? Porter'd be turning over comments hand over fist--but I heard he's passed along, to the maker.

Im not sure what you mean here!