Writing Challenge Discussion -- January 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really pleased with my first story, but it seems as though I was in a minority of 1. Perhaps no one understood that the protagonist was running around the inside of a spinning Generation Ship doing his mandatory exercise.

I got that much, but then thought it was a game of Russian Roulette.

I was really pleased with my first story, but it seems as though I was in a minority of 1. Perhaps no one understood that the protagonist was running around the inside of a spinning Generation Ship doing his mandatory exercise. Whatever, it made me smile which is well worth the effort at that.

I did understand that part, but somehow I still thought he was killing people off one by one for his own survival. Or maybe because of the exercise -- I know mandatory exercise would make me want to kill people!

And I agree that no second story posted yet has surpassed the first ones.

Firstly, thanks for the mention, Ursa.

Some very interesting second (and third) stories in there. I'd say people pretty much made the right choices in what they posted, but Cul's second came close, being nice and dark and Mouse's second is in complete contrast to the first, but still as entertaining.

A shame people didn't vote as much. You could almost understand it being the other way round, with additional readers voting and some people who are a bit shy about posting (yet) voting but not contributing. I have to admit though, I've only voted in the last two but entered the last four contests. I will try and ensure I vote every month from now on, whether I post or not!

Anyway, here's my second story; the first time I've come up with an alternative entry.

Aptenodytes of the Revolution

When they learned of our ability to speak, the humans handed power over immediately, due to our impeccable appearance. War was improbable; pressing the big red button was difficult with our flipper-wings. Racism a thing of the past too. We were black and white!

Still, our kind fought; king overthrowing emperor, emperor deposing king. One revolution followed another. That we have to do all the egg warming these days does annoy us female penguins...

Got to say I don't know that much about the period
Guess which era I did for History A-level. Mind you, it's so long ago now, it's a miracle I remember any of it.
As far as Cromwell goes though, never liked him as a historical figure...
In the words of Sellars and Yeatman, Right but Repulsive. (The Cavaliers were, of course, Wrong but Wromantic.)

I have to say I didn't expect the Monty Python, Ursa.

Teresa, our Charleses are confusing. PM's is Charles I, Good Man but Bad King, who lost the Civil War (that is our one, not yours) and his head. Literally. The Merry Monarch is Charles II, his son, Bad Man but (arguably) Good King, and you're right about him and his reign. Much cleverer and more politically astute than his father. Also a licentious spendthrift. I have a soft spot for him. :D

No, no, I know all that, Judge. Due to my misspent youth reading historical novels, I could never confuse my Charleses. I simply misread PMs story. I thought the story was that they offed Charles I and thought it was good riddance to the monarchy, but Charles II was born to be king so the people rose up against the Protectorate and he was, so there!

I wasn't reading carefully, it seems. But the parts about the common touch (which Charles I didn't have ... although he did do the Kings Touch) and the over-indulgence (not C1 either) led me astray.

Also, not reading your post carefully, the part about Catholic Leanings further confused me, because C2 definitely had them, but I thought C1 was just dreadfully High Church. As you know, both had Catholic queens.

I wish I had something from "1066 and All That" to finish off, but you're always first in with the literary references. I can't even refer to Charles I as a Dead King, can I, because that was Queen Anne ... well, the Dead part anyway.

I'm afraid I don't know much (if anything) about any of the Charleses, but your take on the story is just what I thought was going on, too!

I should have also added that I was shocked ... shocked! ... to find out that only a few days ago Parson was one of those people who "doesn't even know the meaning of abstemious."

I must say, it paints a pretty picture of the lifestyles of our modern clergy! Lives of riotous excess, probably. But then I should have known that when he agreed to pose for the calendar.

Last edited:
I doubt that they'd put up with that sort of behaviour in the Carolinas.

Or in Pennsylvania. (And I'll take my hat off to anyone who understands that reference.)

Only minutes remain in the tie-breaker poll, so anyone who has voted should hasten over there and do it now.

I expect it has absolutely nothing to do with getting one's oats**....

And well done, digs!

** - Another example of British slang that you folks over the Pond will have to look up on the Internet.

And the winner is digs!, for his lovely story.

Congratulations!!

And Congratulations to Perp, for a noble effort.

Ursa -- Similar to sowing one's wild oats, it appears.

This was one of the closer tie-breaker results. A race interesting right up to the final moments.

Congrats, digs, a very deserved victory! I think your entry this month may have been my favourite of any of the challenges so far, and that's saying something with the calibre of entries we continue to get...

On to February! I'll try and get in early this time.

Wait, who am I kidding...

I just posted December's winner and second place in the Hall of Fame thread, since those were long over-due.

Will leave January for you to do, Culhwch, when you get a moment. (Copying your formatting there was ... complicated.)

Yes, I'd fallen slightly behind on that - had actually just thought of it yesterday, and wanted to wait for the winner to be finalised today before doing both. (Incidentally, I'm a lot more up to date with this HoF, you should see the photo challenge...)

I should have also added that I was shocked ... shocked! ... to find out that only a few days ago Parson was one of those people who "doesn't even know the meaning of abstemious."

I must say, it paints a pretty picture of the lifestyles of our modern clergy! Lives of riotous excess, probably. But then I should have known that when he agreed to pose for the calendar.

Yes, that's me a licentious profligate. :D "For there is none righteous, no not one."

Sweet jumpin' jellybeans! That was amazingly unexpected and unexpectedly amazing. Thanks for the votes! And thanks especially to Cul for that ridiculously high praise. I voted for Perp this month, so I was pretty content either way that tie-break turned out. Not that umm I'm turning this down or anything...

So what's the procedure? Do I just copy/paste the little first post template and start a thread with my new theme as soon as possible?

Ordinarily, you would do just that on the first of the month (whenever the first rolls around in your part of the world, which I guess is pretty darn soon, isn't it, considering you're in Australia), although Stormfeather jumped the gun by a day this time around and nobody minded.

But there is a slight problem: February. As no doubt you already know, it ends on the 28th. And that presents some interesting problems with the dates on the next Challenge. Right now, we're still discussing options in the Staff Room. We hope to have it figured out soon, so we can announce the dates and you can start the thread and announce the theme.

So, um, Watch This Space.

Status
Not open for further replies.