Improving our 75 Word Stories -- READ FIRST POST

Hello! Requesting feedback on my entry this month. Thanks!

Prisoners

Shichi was at its zenith with four siblings connecting the horizons. The woman and boy had slept on emerald food-turf, the only variation across the endless plane. Possessing nothing else, the crook of their forearms had broken the perpetual day of eleven suns.

“You once lived inside your eyes?”

Hah! “No, just in places that had other hiding places from the… suns.”

But the smart boy knew when he was being put on.

To be honest, I did not understand a thing. Who is Shichi and why the woman and boy wanders in what seems to be a desert?

I have to confess that I just didn't understand this story, despite repeated readings -- I couldn't work out who they were, where they were, what was going on, what the conversation was about, or what the point of the story was. In view of the title, presumably they're prisoners of some kind, but that was the limit of what I could grasp. Sorry.

However, even if I'd been a lot brighter and understood, I'm not sure the story hits the theme of shadows, since the hiding places could have been caves, which are simply dark, or these other places had night. But even if I'd allowed the absence of shadow as being enough to qualify as a theme, for me this didn't hit the genre -- it's a fantastical story, but it's not to my mind either a myth or a fable.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

The story is about a group of people that are made prisoners on a world with 11 suns surrounding it.
Who is Shichi
Shichi is 'seven' in Japanese and is the sun at the noon position)

The prisoners have no clothes, tools or shelter and they eat the lichen-like 'food-terf' that clings to the flat ground. Altogether, there is no shade anywhere and they live in constant direct sunlight.

I'm not sure the story hits the theme of shadows
The boy was born here, and doesn't believe the woman's story that they came from a place where darkness (shadow) exists outside firmly closed eyes. He considers that idea of shadow to be a myth, and a false one.

The idea was to come up with a place that didn't have shadows and circumstance where succeeding generations cannot even conceive of such a thing, assigning the idea to mythology. Maybe 75 words is too little for that.

Last edited:
75 can be too short for a story, that's why you need to tap into general knowledge.
But here is a trick, you can use the title to make it a bit clear, e.g. Prisoners in the land of eternal light or The land where shadow is a myth.
As for Shichi, I've searched online before asking (thinking is a god or some hero) but Google swear it is a pet name.

I'm afraid I'm with @The Judge and @scarpelius. I struggled to understand any of the story. I did the best I could with my review but I wouldn't have been surprised to have made a total miss.

A general rule about a 75 is that almost every word is important and if you need to make explanations you can't write the story. Your story had too much that just left me confused.

But, it did seem highly original and it pointed to a story that could have been told with many more words.

Maybe 75 words is too little for that.

Welcome to the 75 word challenge, Star-child.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. At a rough count your explanation of the story is over 100 words. Longer than the story itself.

Sometimes, cutting down to 75 words removes the meaning of a story without the author realising it. Running it past someone else before submitting always helps.

@Star-child as the others have said above, I didn't understand the story and it definitely seems like a case of the meaning getting cut out as the story gets reduced to 75 words. as mosaix mentions, it's easy for the author to retain the meaning because they knew the story when it was 200 words. sometimes it's hard to see that the story isn't there anymore in the 75 words that end up being posted. it's happened to most of us before.

Thank you all. I actually wrote it right to 75 or so words, but thought there were enough clues for at least SF readers to peel it apart. I didn't think the first sentence about 11 suns and one named one at zenith was going to be a problem, for instance. But maybe zenith is not an astronomy term that is as commonly known as I thought.

I actually understood the first paragraph and although I didn't know what Shichi meant guessed it was some kind of sun. so that wasn't a bad set up, although possibly heavy on words. but then the story lost me.

Thank you all. I actually wrote it right to 75 or so words, but thought there were enough clues for at least SF readers to peel it apart. I didn't think the first sentence about 11 suns and one named one at zenith was going to be a problem, for instance. But maybe zenith is not an astronomy term that is as commonly known as I thought.

Persobally I think 75 is too few words to indulge in sexy worldbuilding. With 75 words you have enough scope to maybe introduce a concept, a scenario, a decision... some sort of vignette, but no more than that.

I think you've focused on the worldbuilding aspect too much and have left yourself with too much to do when it comes to writing the actual situation. As a result both aspects of the story just come across as half-baked and not making a great deal of sense.

Just to confirm, I also understood Shichi to be a named sun, though I didn't know what it meant and assumed it was simply a name, and I imagine most of us know what zenith means. I also understood the 4 siblings to be more 4 suns. But you've used 11 words to tell us there are 5 suns, and then at the end of the para you tell us there are in fact 11, so that entire first sentence is otiose. It's quite a good sentence for a longer piece, but when the whole story has to be told in 75 words it's wasteful.

There are a number of other places where in my view you've wasted words, eg by telling us things we don't need to know, or by using excess words and failing to look for different -- shorter -- ways of expressing things. There are also some issues of style, grammar and word use which caused me to raise an eyebrow and which would have counted against you even had I understood the story first time around. I'm conscious that you're getting a bit of a beating at present, so I'll hold back on the details for now. But if you'd like to know more about what I've found, with suggestions that might perhaps have helped the story receive a better reception, just say and I'll let you have a longer nit-pick of the whole.

But you've used 11 words to tell us there are 5 suns, and then at the end of the para you tell us there are in fact 11, so that entire first sentence is otiose.
The point of all those numbers is to suggest to the reader that with 5 suns up and 6 more not, there is never night or long shadows without saying that explicitly. Naming the noon sun was probably the waste of words, but I was trying to use the limited viewpoint of the boy with just enough extra to suggest an environment.

There are a number of other places where in my view you've wasted words, eg by telling us things we don't need to know, or by using excess words and failing to look for different -- shorter -- ways of expressing things. There are also some issues of style, grammar and word use which caused me to raise an eyebrow and which would have counted against you even had I understood the story first time around. I'm conscious that you're getting a bit of a beating at present, so I'll hold back on the details for now. But if you'd like to know more about what I've found, with suggestions that might perhaps have helped the story receive a better reception, just say and I'll let you have a longer nit-pick of the whole.

Please have at it. It isn't like I'm preparing for a career in 75 word narratives or lost prize money. This is for fun, and I'm curious just how on-the-nose forum members expect this kind of writing to be.

Thanks!

The point of all those numbers is to suggest to the reader that with 5 suns up and 6 more not, there is never night or long shadows without saying that explicitly. Naming the noon sun was probably the waste of words, but I was trying to use the limited viewpoint of the boy with just enough extra to suggest an environment.
With 75 words, saying things explicitly is usually the best way to do things, but in any event I'm sure most of us would have guessed that not all 11 suns would be in the sky at the same time, and anyway you later talk of "perpetual day" so you have said it explicitly!

It is a steep learning curve doing the 75s, learning when subtlety can hinder understanding, and when words can safely be removed. I always prune hard then get my other half to read the story. If he can understand it, I'm fine. If he can't, then I have to revise it until he does.

Please have at it. . . . I'm curious just how on-the-nose forum members expect this kind of writing to be.
Well, first of all, I'm undoubtedly the most nit-picky member doing the Challenges -- chrispenycate will pick up as many (probably more) grammatical errors, but he's more tolerant than I am. Most other members either won't recognise errors or won't care about them if they do -- I'll mark down and discount stories for errors where others might vote for the same stories regardless. So what I'll pull out won't in any way be a mark of what the majority of voters will be concerned about. What we all want, though, is a good story, told well, with a strong beginning and end.

Anyhow, in full nit-picking mode:
  • Shichi was at its zenith with four siblings -- this imagery of brothers/sisters confused me. Who is describing them as siblings? It's something that might be done by those worshipping the suns, or with myths about them, but that idea of reverence/familiarity doesn't sit well with the people being prisoners. So here, a word that gave a feeling of dread or hatred would have immediately set up a better atmosphere for us to understand the situation, whereas this "siblings" is fighting against it.
  • The woman and boy -- the use of "woman" and "boy" is distancing; names give us connection, and help us to empathise. You might not want that, or might want to depersonalise them for some reason, but there's a danger that if we don't connect with them, we don't connect with the story as a whole. That's particularly the case when we don't even know their relationship. If they're mother and son, telling us will immediately make us "see" protectiveness between them, even if you don't mention it explicitly. If in fact they're strangers, drawn together as they're alone, telling us would again help to humanise them and their predicament.
  • had slept -- the pluperfect is distancing, whereas present tense or simple past are more immediate and therefore more gripping. Plus, knowing they'd slept doesn't give us any idea what's happening now, which is the important thing. Something like "they lay on [the ground]" tells us more, and also saves another word. If they can't sleep, because of the light, that would definitely be worth telling us in so many words.
  • on emerald food-turf -- we don't need to know what they do for food, and definitely not what its colour is, so again this is wasting words.
  • the only variation across the endless plane -- I'm not clear why this turf is a variation, as I'd be happy to assume the whole thing is endless food-turf. But if it is only this part that is turf, I can't see we need to know it. If you want to get over the fact this is completely level place, it's easier just to say so. Another confusion for me was "plane" since I thought it must be the plane of something ie like the planes of a man-made structure, or something like an astral plane. If in fact it's just a large flat area of land, that's "plain".
  • Possessing nothing else -- where there's a participial clause of this kind, the subjects of the clause and of the main part of the sentence should agree, so "Possessing nothing else, they..." As it is, strictly you've written that the crook of their forearms possess nothing else.
  • the crook of their forearms had broken -- again the pluperfect distances us in time from them, and uses up another word for no reason.
  • “You once lived inside your eyes?” -- even now I understand the story this is confusing. Here's where being explicit would have helped the story so something like "But there's no darkness unless we cover our eyes, so how could you live in darkness?" (only better than that) And without a dialogue tag we can't know who is speaking which causes momentary confusion on the first read.
  • Hah! -- since you've not given us a POV character, we've no idea who is thinking this. On second read I know it's the woman, but why give us a non-verbal exclamation when there is nothing else from her POV? It's another word that could have been better used elsewhere.
  • “No, just in places that had other hiding places from the… suns.” -- this seems a very odd way to describe shade, so it's hard for us to understand what she's talking about. Again, being explicit here would have helped us understand, but to do it justice in dialogue would take too long, so to my mind you'd be better off with something like "She tried again to explain shade and shadow, caves and shelter, night and true darkness. The boy only laughed and called her a liar." (Only, again, better than that.) As a matter of style, the repetition of "places" is ungainly -- "just somewhere" would also have the advantage of saving a word. And the significance of the ellipses passed me by, so that was further confusion as I tried to understand what you meant by it and why it was needed.
  • But the smart boy -- whose POV is calling him "smart"? Why is that necessary?
  • knew when he was being put on. -- I've never come across the expression "being put on" though for me "being put upon" means being saddled with work unfairly, or being taken for granted, so again there's some confusion. I'm guessing from context that for you it means "having the wool pulled over his eyes" or "being played for a fool". It's always difficult to know if someone else will understand a particular idiom, especially when members come from all across the globe, so unless you're after a specific tone of dialect, it's usually best to go for wording that's common across borders or immediately understandable.
I hope some of that helps. As I say, most voters won't worry overmuch about grammar and stuff, and few if any (not even me!) will sit and analyse a story in this kind of detail before voting. But everyone is likely to pick up on tone and atmosphere without conscious thought, which is why being careful with POV and adjectives can pay dividends. And just to confirm what scarpelius said about titles -- as far as I'm concerned, if you'd called it something like "The Beginning of Myth" that would have helped push it towards bringing it into the genre, even if I couldn't see what myth and how this is the beginning of it, but again, being explicit in the final line could have sorted that out.

By the way, if you haven't done so already, you might find it helpful to read back in this thread and see how members have reacted to other stories in the past. If you go back as far as April 2017, you'll see a couple of practice stories from Joshua Jones, where he had similar problems trying to fit worldbuilding into a small space at the expense of actual story. Three months later, Joshua won the 75 worder.

Requesting any comments on my 75 word-er:

Da Capo

So this is death, the old man thought.

As the light became blinding, his shadow stretched backwards towards the doorway, beckoning him to follow.

Doing so, he immediately fell into a great void. Plummeting without direction, he remembered every decision, every choice he ever made, in excruciating detail, again and again.

“Past is but future’s shadow.”

He stopped falling.

Reborn, the boy’s shadow - slightly darker and a little longer this time - reattached itself.

-----------

I realise this was a bit loose with the whole "Myth or Fable" genre, but had the idea that your past deeds are always part of you, influencing your future actions. The shadow in this story becomes the physical embodiment of the character's past life, enriching (or otherwise, perhaps) the future child in a constant cycle. I attempted to leave it ambiguous as to whether this cycle is ever broken, hence the title.

For me, reading it back after a wee break away, the bit that immediately strikes me as jarring is the "...he immediately fell into a great void. Plummeting without direction..." section. In my mind, I envisioned a directionless void in which the character sailed through; however, in using the words "fell" and "Plummeting", I have inadvertently assigned a sense of gravitational pull and, therefore, direction. Perhaps "...he was swallowed by a great void. Spiralling without direction...", or something like this would be better?

Also, it is a little confusing who is speaking. The character? Another voice? I intended it to be an ambiguous entity, but this doesn't translate too well from my mind to the page, so to speak?

Plus the ending is undoubtedly rushed and confusing.

These are just my own ramblings but any comments, questions, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
@D3athw4lker .... I found this an interesting idea, but felt it lacked a little immediacy. I didn't connect with the main character, it felt more like an intellectual exercise, with the idea of reincarnation tacked on at the end. Perhaps starting in the present would have been helpful something like "As he died..." (But better than this!)

Also there seemed to be too many breaks in the action. I think one indicator of this problem is the number of paragraphs. The more paragraphs there are, the more likely your story is disjointed.

I might be alone in this but I thought your title could have been improved. First, using another language is going to cause some? many? most? of us to either look up the quote or ignore it. Before I started reviewing the stories I have to admit I would have ignored it. But when you are constrained by 75 words, and have a free reign on titles it is an opportunity to be seized upon. I would have liked to have seen this phrase “Past is but (the) future’s shadow.” as the title for your piece. For me this would have helped me to see where you were going and thereby improve the story.* Not insignificantly, it would have freed up an extra 5 words, or put another way almost 7% of the words in your story.

For me the ending was not so much confused as anti-climatic. I thought your story ended with the phrase “Past is but future’s shadow.” and the additional ending surprised me.

*no one has ever had a paragraph title and I would guess that this would be seen as cheating

I quite liked it, D3. But i can't see myth or fable in there.

Also plummeting without direction did seem a little odd. Not the plummeting that you've highlighted but the without direction. Can you plummet without direction? Sorry to be picky, D3, but it just didn't seem right.

@D3athw4lker

*no one has ever had a paragraph title and I would guess that this would be seen as cheating

I almost did once, Parson:

Edit: I came second with five votes. Guess who went into a two way tie with HB?

Last edited:
Massive thanks to @Parson and @mosaix for taking the time to provide such enlightening comments.

I hadn't fully appreciated just how influential a title, particularly in such a short story format, can be. Definitely things to consider for the next challenges and for future writing in general so thanks again for taking the time to come back to me with them. Really appreciate it!

I wonder what is wrong with this one.

A Myth Can Kill.

The ancient ship was so close to the cliffs, that they were casting shadows across the deck. Yet they seemed totally unaware of their precarious position. Something was driving them onwards.

Suddenly one shadow appeared darker than the general backdrop. Also a high pitched wailing was heard coming from the depths of a cave.

Only then that their fate was sealed, the ship floundered on the rocks.

Out of the shadows a siren appeared.