The K_____ Chronicles?

shadowfirebird

This is really bugging me. Friend lent me a fantasy trilogy a long time ago. Both it and the friend are long gone and I've lost the note I made of the title ... and the damned book is haunting me.

Three books with seperate titles, but I read them in one cover, with the name "The <something> Chronicles". <something> was the name of the fantasy race, I think, and began with a K (or maybe a Ch?) This would have been in the late 90's.

In the books, a series of universes or worlds are linked together like beads on a wire or jewels in a necklace. An evil sentient power is gradually working it's way across these worlds and taking them over. Our protaganist is a member of a race some of which have managed to jump to the next world in the chain just before their world is lost.

As the first book starts, she is seperated from her kin and has lost her memory. She has both to find a way to fit into this new world and regain her identity -- which includes a complex web of honour and ritual not entirely unlike Shogonate Japan; a dance-like martial art; and a limited amount of magic which scares her.

In later books she has not-entirely-happy contact with her brother and some of the rest of her family (complex webs of obligation and honour again); and it appears that her magic and memory loss come from the time when she was in service to the evil sentient power...

Anyone got any ideas? You can imagine how difficult this is to search for on the net without a title...

My gods, I just found it - by searching on the keywords I'd chosen for this post!

The Chronicles of the Kencyrath, by P.C. Hodgell.

So, apologies but thanks: I solved it myself, but I needed to post here before I could solve it.

Found it on TV Tropes, of all places, which describes it in glowing terms. (Forum won't let me link yet, sorry.)

Best of all there are new books being written!