Thanks for the Gift

You are very welcome.

(Spoilers to follow in this and following messages. Those who have read The Hidden Stars but who had not yet read or completed A Dark Sacrifice may not wish to keep reading.

On Christmas, it will be a longish chapter about Winloki and Camhóinhann.

Last edited:
Teresa,

I should have said thank you as well. As you know I am a die hard SF reader, but this forum has been mellowing me in that regard. I am looking forward to chapter 2. I am even considering (can I actually be saying this?) buying some Fantasy, probably yours.

Thank you! I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas filled with many happy hours! And a very good year 2011, with some pleasant surprises!
Hopefully the book will be printed in a year and a day.

Thank you, Liese.

As promised, Chapter Two has been added to the thread, although it was late in the day here before I had the opportunity to do so. It wasn't just a matter of copy and paste; of course I had to reformat it. And naturally there were a few distractions on Christmas ...

Parson (and anyone else who reads the excerpts cold), thanks for your interest! Do keep in mind that these chapters, because they begin Book Three, come approximately two-thirds of the way into the epic. I don't know how much sense some parts will make out of context, or whether some things will give a wrong impression of certain characters -- most of which are well-established by the end of volume two.

(Major Spoilers for those who are reading the series but have not yet reached this point in the story.)

To some extent, the early chapters in this book are meant to draw certain parallels between the two sets of characters. Sindérian and Camhóinhann have been injured in the same conflict -- she as a willing sacrifice, while he and cohorts now dead or missing were taken by surprise. She attacked them, meaning to be killed by them, as her death would set lose a wave of destruction against her enemies and (she hoped) free Winloki. She did die but was sent back, just before she passed on to the afterlife, by servants of the Light -- or as we would say, angels -- albeit this resurrection did not include the healing of her broken body, and the reasons for sending her back at all are as yet obscure.

And, of course, her attempt to rescue Winloki was not successful.

Camhóinhann is the High Priest of a different religion from the one that Sindérian and Prince Ruan practice (the eirias that Ruan recited in Chapter One was a prayer). Camhóinhann is a votary of the self-styled goddess Ouriána, ruling queen of Phaôrax and self-proclaimed Empress of about half the world. Ouriána is also a powerful sorceress, although the source of her power is somewhat mysterious, as are the means she used to bring about Camhóinhann's allegiance -- for he was at one time a man of tremendous knowledge, power, and integrity. Though his Empress's dark sorcery has long since twisted and deformed him, the physical evidence of a spiritual disease, it is impossible to see him without being reminded of what he once was. Ouriána has used this to her advantage over the years, for although most are terrified by the very sight of him, others are drawn in by his immense personal magnetism, which he still retains.

This was one reason why he was sent to kidnap and bring Ouriána's niece, Winloki, to Phaôrax, in the hope that he would accomplish her spiritual seduction before their long journey is completed. But Winloki has qualities that remind Camhóinhann very much of his own past. The seduction has already begun to go both ways, though his is by far the stronger personality and he is consciously using the bond growing between them in a way that is likely to prove her undoing.

I think that is enough of the background needed to understand Chapter Two. But I will just add that the character of Camhóinhann was first conceived (though he has changed very much as the story has developed and in the writing of the first two books) as a character in thrall to an evil power, who yet retained enough self-will that every act, for good or ill, was a conscious choice. He could always do good, but would continually choose evil, confusing it with good. Which would mean that each time there was at least the possibility that he would make another choice. Where would be the moment when he had passed beyond redemption, where he acted only in accordance with the dictates of the one who ruled him? At what point would he be so entirely corrupt that he would no longer be able to imagine any other choice? Those were the questions in my mind when I first began to write this series, although as the plot began to move in directions I did not expect, it developed that Camhóinhann did not make his first appearance (although other characters mentioned him) until part way through the second book.

Last edited:
Dear Teresa,

I can't tell you how happy I was to find (and read!) Ch. 1 & 2 this week! I have read and re-read all your books in moments when I finally give myself some down time, which includes Christmas break, when it just seems so appropriate. I love losing myself in the worlds you create. I am anxious for the third volume and thank you for the early gift.

You're welcome, daphling!

I am very anxious to finish the third book. I've had to take on some other work, the kind that pays more regularly so I can help pay the mortgage, but I do put time aside for writing the book. When I'm doing other things, I really miss it. It's very frustrating.

Breaking my arm in the late autumn didn't help. But I've reached the point where I can type with all ten fingers.

Hi!
I have been wondering for some time whether you will be able to finish this book. And also whether there will be a reissue of "The gnome's engine". I really love your style, not of the latest fashion but it will still have the same effect in a decade or two. Others will sound out of date due to their overusage of current slang.
I wish you a joyful Christmas season! Hopefully with good food and excellent company.

Back