What is the 4th marker?

soulsinging

the dude abides
At the end of Serenity, when they have the shot of the graves/monuments for Wash, Book, and Mr Universe, what is the spaceship looking thing River constructs supposed to represent? It can't be serenity because the ship is still kicking. The ship from Miranda maybe? I've always been curious.

In the Doctor Who episode "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" (Tom Baker era) Prof. Litefoot mentions fireworks at a funeral, "Odd custom." The Doctor explains that the fireworks are to frighten away evil spirits. I haven't been able to find documentation on this, but perhaps someone familiar with Chinese customs would know. And since the Firefly 'verse is a mix of east and west...

The fourth pillar is not a tombstone, it is a launch pad for the fireworks rocket. (Zoe is carrying a taper to light it.) The rocket already had several paper notes attached to it—prayers, perhaps. So I would guess that River was attaching one more.

Burials and funerals

The followers of Tao, a Chinese belief system, envision the soul of the deceased crossing a bridge to the next life. Ten courts of judgment await the new soul, and if it passes this series of trials, it may continue on the path to heaven. If it fails because of bad deeds during the person's lifetime, the soul must be punished before it is allowed to go to a better place.

The family and friends of the deceased place the body in a wooden coffin and carry it to the graveyard. Well aware of the trials awaiting the soul of their friend or relative in the afterlife, they pound drums, clang cymbals, and shoot off fireworks to frighten away any evil spirits that might attempt to catch the soul even before it reaches the 10 courts of judgment. Beside the grave as the coffin is being lowered into the ground, paper representations of houses, money, and other material objects are burned, symbolically providing the soul of the deceased with property with which to pay the judges.

In the Doctor Who episode "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" (Tom Baker era) Prof. Litefoot mentions fireworks at a funeral, "Odd custom." The Doctor explains that the fireworks are to frighten away evil spirits. I haven't been able to find documentation on this, but perhaps someone familiar with Chinese customs would know. And since the Firefly 'verse is a mix of east and west...

The fourth pillar is not a tombstone, it is a launch pad for the fireworks rocket. (Zoe is carrying a taper to light it.) The rocket already had several paper notes attached to it—prayers, perhaps. So I would guess that River was attaching one more.

Dig the Doctor Who reference

I lived in Taipei for two years... and I saw/heard numerous New Year's celebrations, festivals, weddings, and business/shop openings. They always used firecrackers as a traditional method of warding off evil spirits... and they're fun!

Oh man, don't know how I missed this response. Thanks for all the insight everyone!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Blade Runner 15
K Writing Discussion 3