The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim!

I really can't wait for this, I've spent faaaaar too many hours on Oblivion and will definitely be getting this as soon as it comes out.

Ahhh noooo I need my life, and now this vampiric beast appears and threatens to suck dry the hours of my day, leaving me with little room for anything else beyond work (required to earn the money to pay the electric required to keep playing) and eating (required to sustain this mere mortal coil required to interface with the game through hands and eyes and ears) and sleep (required to keep enough sanity in this enfeebled mind of mine that I can think enough to actually make progress in the game.)

Loved Oblivion, so this one is going to be a must-have. Already I weep for the hours it will steal from me.... and grin at the pleasure I will receive in return!

It sounds like it'll take the best bits of Oblivion, upgrade them a bit (more alchemical ingredients, better graphics, character creator etc), add new stuff (smithing sounds excellent) and replace the bits that didn't work (different levelling system).

Months to go, but I'm wondering what my initial character ought to be. I think I'll go for a lady Nord, and have a Khajiit (they look great this time) for my second.

Also, combat will be playable as 2 handed - so left mouse can control your right hand, and whatever you choose will control your left - Right can be fighting with a sword, whilst the left used for firing magick spells.

Except you could use weapons and spells simultaneously in Oblivion too, so that's not really anything new.

I actually like the idea that more stars appear in the sky, as your character progresses, it has no function or affect on the game whatsoever, just a little visual treat

Sounds a bit mental to me...

It sounds like it'll take the best bits of Oblivion, upgrade them a bit (more alchemical ingredients, better graphics, character creator etc), add new stuff (smithing sounds excellent) and replace the bits that didn't work (different levelling system).

Months to go, but I'm wondering what my initial character ought to be. I think I'll go for a lady Nord, and have a Khajiit (they look great this time) for my second.

A lady Altmer for my first playthrough - lol i do it every time, in every Elder Scrolls game since Daggerfall (and most of my repeat playthroughs are variations of the original character - unless i lash out and pick a Khajiit or an Argonian - i never play as a human - though, in a Skyrim setting, i MAY play a Nord-Lord)

Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game. By lucky coincidence, the Nord was probably my favourite race. I'm less fond of elves, and Imperials. I hope we get some Altmer pics soon.

The Argonians and Khajiit look fantastic this time around :)

the constellation bit is actually something really interesting to me... its an entirely novel approach to a character screen. i think i'll love it.

After watching the video (link on page 4 I think) it looks like it's just a nice graphical upgrade screen, rather than actually affecting the sky of the world in game. I have no problem with the former at all, it actually looks quite nice, but the latter is just silly in my opinion. Hopefully it is the former and not the latter.

The oblivion planes seemed very repetitive. It's like they put the same skin on the same landscape. I dunno, maybe my expectations were misguided. I was hoping the planes would be reminiscent of Dante's Inferno, with a little variety. Needless to say, I was a bit bored.

Fallout 3 was terrific, though.

firstly, fallout 3 was glitched all over the place, but still better than oblivion.
secondly, i hope skyrim will be a morrowind type of game with choice and scope being its main points, and nothing like oblivion, another travesty of a game with only 50 quests...

Think I read somewhere that Oblivion had around 200-300 quests. Anyway, they reckon Skyrim will have about six- to sevenfold the number of quests as Fallout 3 did. The lockpicking will be very similar to Fallout 3, and the dungeons will be more divergent and last longer (15 minutes to a couple of hours) than Oblivion's.

Character generation looks fantastic, and the presets can be found here:
http://forums.uesp.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24249

[20 per race, half male, half female. I especially like the Argonians and Khajiit].

Looks awesome, I'm going to have to upgrade a few things on my pc for all the releases that look to be promising.

Let us ride dragons!

the live trailer was ok... actually left me a little underwhelmed, since the actual game-trailers have been SO amazing.
having said that, 11.11.11 cannot come soon enough.

I am still thinking about getting this game, until I heard there is a massive download for it on the PS3 for whatever reason.

Biodroid, d'you mean a large install size, and could you offer more information?

Thanks, er, sort of :p

It says "404 not found".

Some on the Bethesda forums suggested a 5.5GB install, which is reasonably large but nor enormous (and smaller than Oblivion). That's unconfirmed, I think, however.

*sighs* I've got a 40GB PS3 with 11GB free. I'll be bloody annoyed if the install is enormous, but hopefully it'll be leaked properly before release.

Edited extra bit: I brilliantly googled "Skyrim PS3 install size" and got a mini-intro to the article you linked to:

"The mandatory install size for Skyrim on PS3 is going to be 5.5Gb which isn't the largest mandatory install but it's sizeable enough for owners of older ..."

Last edited:
Sorry to spam, but I just remembered something else that might be of use (it's not a 'buy or not' thing, just handy info). Unlike Fallout 3 and Oblivion you don't get to rejig your character at the end of the intro, so make sure that you get it 100% right when you make it first time.

Like removing the ability to see what items look like on your character in the menu, it's a small but slightly inexplicable and stupid omission, I think.

Last edited:
Has anyone read the cash-i... er, tie-in novels? I'm sort of tempted but suspect they might be awful. There's a very rich world and history though, it just depends if it's done right.