The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim!

The levelling issue would be nice to address as well.

While I can appreciate why they used it in Oblivion, it just means once you become level 20+ it starts to become boring because most everyone you fight has Daedric or glass armour - there's no longer anything to covet - and enemies were always a challenge to your level - I mean, really, a goblin cave filled with only goblin warlords and shamans?

At least low-level characters had something to look forward to...

But finding equipment above your level was always thrilling at low level (ie, Umbra's ebony armour and Azani Blackheart's glass armour), and finding low level creatures to kill when you're high level was always fun, too. :)

That's a good point, but my biggest gripe with the levelling system was that it was needlessly complicated and quite possible to become relatively weaker.

If you read all the information it says basicly everything has been improved, don't get me wrong there will be some bad things, there is no such thing as the perfect game.

You can have Beards!!! that alone is cause for celebration!

true, there is no such thing as The Perfect Game... however, no studio ever comes so close as Bethesda!

true, there is no such thing as The Perfect Game... however, no studio ever comes so close as Bethesda!

From what I have heard about Skyrim is that it is more like Fallout in that there are Perks instead of skills.

Todd Howard from Bethesda discussed how the forthcoming Elder Scroll game will handle weapon skills.

Leveling your character in Oblivion or Morrowind was connected to raising your various skill levels by performing actions in the game. Most classes had one or two weapon skills that needed to be raised in order to get to the next level, but that prevented investing in using other weapons even if the style was largely similar. For example, using a one-handed sword used a totally different skill than a one-handed axe, even though they might largely play the same. For Skyrim, game director Todd Howard says that he has scrapped individual skills and instead you will level up combat styles like one-handed, two-handed, or archery, and that you can choose a perk to specialize in a specific weapon type like axe or sword.
"Each skill has its own perk tree," Howard said. "So take one handed for instance. The idea is, you have a one-handed skill, and then you can perk that - there's like a skill tree, underneath one-handed. Within that there are separate perk areas for maces and then axes and then swords. So opposed to having, say, an axe skill, that is a part of the perk tree within one-handed."
Howard thinks that will give the player more choice as he develops his character. "We think that ... gives us a better balance. You can start like 'I like one-handed stuff' and then you start specializing as you raise that skill."
Unfortunately, Howard said that spears are not included in Skyrim, at least not currently. "Something like spears is really cool, it's just something with where we're putting our time with the other weapons. It just didn't make the cut right now."
Skyrim is due out on November 11, 2011. Time to think about putting in your notice for vacation time that week.

Link to article: The Escapist : Forums : The News Room : Skyrim Features "Perk" Trees Instead of Weapons Skills

And of course the mention that there are no spears in Skyrim, that really makes no sense from the point of view of the PC in the storyline, because if I was going to fight dragons I think a spear would be the preferable weapon as opposed to an axe or sword....one would think that at least there should be lances?

Anyway I did not really mind the way things worked in Fallout with perks instead of skills, it might seem odd to have that in a fantasy legend like The Elder Scrolls though.

I hope it'll bring back the "morrowind feel" of exploring, Oblivion had a nice set up but there were few "exotic" locations like Tell Fyr or those shell-houses in Morrowind. The Game-play video does suggest that there will be such locations, so I'm looking forward to 11.11.11. I'm a PC-gamer though, i don't know if my laptop will be able to take this on, but there have been rumours that Skyrim will offer some sort of "Oldblivion" option. We'll see. I try not to get all to worked up about trailers, but this one does look awesome. Can't wait to have a go at it, the first couple of days where you have to "struggle" to get better items is always such a rush.

From what I have heard about Skyrim is that it is more like Fallout in that there are Perks instead of skills.

Todd Howard from Bethesda discussed how the forthcoming Elder Scroll game will handle weapon skills.

Leveling your character in Oblivion or Morrowind was connected to raising your various skill levels by performing actions in the game. Most classes had one or two weapon skills that needed to be raised in order to get to the next level, but that prevented investing in using other weapons even if the style was largely similar. For example, using a one-handed sword used a totally different skill than a one-handed axe, even though they might largely play the same. For Skyrim, game director Todd Howard says that he has scrapped individual skills and instead you will level up combat styles like one-handed, two-handed, or archery, and that you can choose a perk to specialize in a specific weapon type like axe or sword.
"Each skill has its own perk tree," Howard said. "So take one handed for instance. The idea is, you have a one-handed skill, and then you can perk that - there's like a skill tree, underneath one-handed. Within that there are separate perk areas for maces and then axes and then swords. So opposed to having, say, an axe skill, that is a part of the perk tree within one-handed."
Howard thinks that will give the player more choice as he develops his character. "We think that ... gives us a better balance. You can start like 'I like one-handed stuff' and then you start specializing as you raise that skill."
Unfortunately, Howard said that spears are not included in Skyrim, at least not currently. "Something like spears is really cool, it's just something with where we're putting our time with the other weapons. It just didn't make the cut right now."
Skyrim is due out on November 11, 2011. Time to think about putting in your notice for vacation time that week.

Link to article: The Escapist : Forums : The News Room : Skyrim Features "Perk" Trees Instead of Weapons Skills

And of course the mention that there are no spears in Skyrim, that really makes no sense from the point of view of the PC in the storyline, because if I was going to fight dragons I think a spear would be the preferable weapon as opposed to an axe or sword....one would think that at least there should be lances?

Anyway I did not really mind the way things worked in Fallout with perks instead of skills, it might seem odd to have that in a fantasy legend like The Elder Scrolls though.

i was under the impression that the Perks and Skills in Skyrim were going to be very similar to the way they work in Fallout 3. WITH the individual skills, and with perks gained upon each defeat of a Dragon...(and possibly at level-up)... but with the perks directly affecting your skills and/or stats.
Also, Fallout 3 most DEFINITELY has skills. And they are crucially impactful. Low gun skill = bad shot, low damage... low Lockpicking or Science = no access to pretty much half the best things in the game.

I dunno, I reckon Bioware does some pretty amazing stuff in the RPG field.

BioWare does a great job - most of the time. Perhaps my increasing distaste for BioWare comes from the inbridled arrogance of some of their people (David Gaider for instance), as well as EA's influence over quantity rather than quality (which i'll admit does make BioWare's games all the more impressive for their quality in such quick timeframes).

i was under the impression that the Perks and Skills in Skyrim were going to be very similar to the way they work in Fallout 3. WITH the individual skills, and with perks gained upon each defeat of a Dragon...(and possibly at level-up)... but with the perks directly affecting your skills and/or stats.
Also, Fallout 3 most DEFINITELY has skills. And they are crucially impactful. Low gun skill = bad shot, low damage... low Lockpicking or Science = no access to pretty much half the best things in the game.

While I'm not fussed about the perks this - and recently playing a little bit of Fallout - has reminded me of a conversation with a friend of mine (well, to say it was a "conversation" is a bit strong).

We were thinking how great it would be - oh, please please make it so Bethesda! - if the Elder Scrolls series utilised Fallout's V.A.T.S system for combat. It would add so much to the visual dynamics of the game and I'd love to see it.

How would they make it believeable? V.A.T.S was a special aiming device that was built into the Pipboy.
I can't see them using it in Skyrim, as a.... "Rage Aiming" :p

One thing I would love to see is the way limbs get blown off in Fallout! If I hit someone with a twohanded axe, I wont them to be cut to pieces!

Does being believable really matter? Think of the spectacularness!

I'm all for the limb hacking too. :D

Here are some of the screenshots.

The_Elder_Scrolls_5_-_Skyrim_Screenshot_2.jpg

skyrim03.jpg

skyrim_screenshot_8.jpg

skyrim_screenshot_9.jpg

And this one for all the people that wanted more female looking females.

8986651.jpg

It begs the question: What about the system requirements? Bethesda vowed that the req's wouldn't be too high, as was the case with Oblivion when it came out (thank god for Oldblivion) but I fear for it. Bethesda gives beautiful gems but they are (in my opinion) not the best when it comes engine-effectiveness vs RAM/CPU usage. I've seen something along the "2.03 Dual Core, 3 GB Ram, 512 mb videoram high end card" line but I don't want to get my hopes up just yet.

It won't happen for ages, if at all, but I'd love to see the character creator as soon as possible.

Origins did yes, and it was a pretty cool pre-release feature. The problem is that they only did it because the game was delayed and they thought (correctly) it'd help assuage annoyance.

The Oblivion creator (in terms of appearance rather than skills and so forth) was great in terms of variability, but Origins and DA2 are much better aesthetically.