Is it worth it?

Star Girl

Waiting in the Sky
I've been wondering about whether to watch Farscape for the longest time. I know everyone will be bias here, but is it really worth the effort? Is the story good?

Yes. The story's good, the show is funny, the characters are brilliant. I watched it from the day it aired and never missed an ep.

Agreed, it really is inspired SF TV. Watch it and you'll never ever see anything like it. I rate this almost as highly as i rate B5.

I am so late to this forum and watching Farscape again. I loved the show when I was younger and have grabbed the box set. Can't go wrong with it.

"you'll never ever see anything like it"

This comment is spot on. It's a little bit bonkers, but very original. [Can something be 'very' original? Did I just qualify a superlative?]

I watched this show for the first time nine years ago. Loved it from the first episode. The first thing that drew my attention was the ship--Moya, a living ship. The second thing was, ironically, one of the things that seem to turn most people off at first--the puppets. But, one of the main puppet characters, Pilot, was my favorite character from the start, besides the ship.

It's a great tv show. You won't be disappointed by it.:)

Somebody told me about Farscape on my presentation thread on this very forum. And I have to thank him, because it's one of the best SF series I've ever seen.
Oh, and Pilot is my favorite character too ! :)

Oh, and Pilot is my favorite character too ! :)

Pilot was central to one of my very favourite episodes, 'The Way We Weren't'. I can't watch that episode and think that Pilot is 'just' a puppet. And Claudia Black was astonishing in that episode. Reduces me to a blubbering wreck every time I watch it. :cry: :D

I watched about half of season one. While it didn't really grab me, that's not entirely the show's fault. I had just burned through Buffy and was getting hooked on Doctor Who, so it was competing with some really great shows for my attention. I remember enjoying it when I saw it, though strangely I would take the opposite of many here and say it's not terribly original. The puppets and effects are excellent, and the chemistry and banter among the crew are fun. I remember the plots being pretty standard Sci-fi fare with a crisis of the week sort of feel and not much in the way of season arcs, but like I said, I didn't stick it out. I do, however, plan to revisit it someday and would absolutely recommend it if you're looking for entertaining serialized Sci-fi.

There is a more monster-of-the-week approach early on, but this changes. For most of the show it's got long-running arcs (Crais[sp], Scorpius and the Scarran threat mostly).

Loved the show, although the muppet/puppets were a bit off-putting to begin with; still do to be fair.

But the two principle leads - Ben Browder (Crighton) and Claudia Black (Aeryn Sun), had a wonderful working chemistry together; and shared lots of very moving sequences throughout the seasons.

The supporting cast also had their attractions, especially the wonderfully creepy bad-guy, Scorpius.

There was some criticism that by S4 the show was running out of steam, with most episodes uneven in terms of quality. But for all that, it is an enjoyable romp, especially when you factor in the follow-up Peacekeeper Wars.

The series plus Peacekeeper Wars.... Absolutely worth it.

I love this series. I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

There's a terrible episode or two and there are several frustrating storylines (but it really is actually very arc'ed) and it's not "science" fiction at all - I mean even less than Star Trek, mostly. But it's a blast, I love the characters - Crichton, Aeryn, Chianna, Rygel, Scorpius (and 1812!), the imagination of the space opera cosmos, the freedom that they take (and sometimes abuse) and, yeah, it's one of my favorites, too, right on through from ep1 to the end of Peacekeeper Wars. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing to say, but it's like it was always knocking on the door of transcendence and never quite pushed through. But, still, few shows get even in that territory and it did always leave you coming back for more - wanting more.

(So much more that they put Aeryn and then Crichton on Stargate. :))

I loved it personally. It did take a while to get going, so if you find the first season hard going, just keep at it. I'm planning on rewatching the whole thing sometime...

Definitely, you can think of it as a somewhat saner and more tasteful version of Lexx.:sneaky:
It is more character centric, darker and better at parodying some of the worn out clichés of the Space Opera Genre than any other show I can think of save for Red Dwarf.

Yes, it is wonderfully different from anything you have ever seen. There are plenty of twists and turns I disagree with and would have written differently, but that is what makes writers so interesting, our differences. One difference I found very interesting was when Crichton had to talk to the implant in his mind, and then it would not leave.

At first I was very disappointed to see how he seemed less effective and less himself after the implant, but it was an ingenious addition to his character that in and of itself deserves more attention.

When I was unemployed in 2004, I binge watched this show on a SciFi Channel (they still spelled it that way, back then) marathon. I highly recommend it. Maybe I'm extra fond of it because of the Jim Henson Creature Shop collaboration, but I also found the characters and storylines really compelling.

Digging up an old thread, but I think it's worth it!

Binged on Farscape again over the last month or so (currently on S4 now); it makes for great "comfort viewing" now that winter is drawing in and the cold dark nights are here at last. The great thing about re-watching good shows is that sometimes you miss things going on in the background on the first watch. But a well-written show will always have plenty of things going either in the background or with some complex story-arc, that demands to be watched again .... and again! And only then will it all begin to make sense and that you begin to see the bigger picture.

Farscape, delivers this in spades, and is better for it. Which may explain why I prefer this over shows like the latter Star Trek series (post NextGen - although even that is starting to look bland in comparison)