What to read next?

biodroid

A.D.D.
Hi all, I have a dilemma and would like to read TP book while I am on holiday.
I have in mind to read :

• Guards! Guards!
  • Mort
  • Jingo
  • Theif of Time
  • The Truth
  • Hogfather
  • Pyramids
  • Small Gods
What should I read from this list?

My favourite there is Guards! Guards! followed by Jingo and The Truth so I would recommend those in that order -- but I'm a sucker for Vimes and Vetinari. If you're not so fond of them, then Small Gods is very good and Hogfather is appropriate for the time of year in snowy England if not for sunny SA!

Hehe, as long as it has me in stitches whatever the weather, it does not bother me. And where I am going the temperature there at the moment according to my parents is in the region of 35+ degrees C. So it's going to be nice and hot. I was thinking Guards Guards! because I have only read The Light Fantastic and thought that was quite a funny book.

'Guards, guards' is definitely the start of a chain; you'll get more out of 'Jingo' if you've read 'guards' and 'men at arms' first. Similarly, you'll know Susan better if you do 'the Hogfather' before 'Thief of time'. 'Mort' is more or less a starting point, too; although DEATH is universal. 'Pyramids' and 'Small gods' are standalones, can be read anywhere, at any time (although I don't recommend in church, at a funeral; people get quite bolshy about you breaking into uncontrollable giggles. Actually, they look at you a bit strangely when it's only on a bus, but can't say anything there).

Which leaves 'the Truth', probably better after a few of the other books, to get you into the environment. But the Truth is you can read, and get pleasure out of any of them, in any order. One or two minor running jokes might get missed, or be already explained when you get to an earlier book, but it's not critical. Each volume stands alone, and if you don't know Vimes when you start 'the truth' you'll meet him, be introduced, and what he has become by then will not disturb you when you find what he was before…

Enjoy.

I agree with the Judge and recommend Guards! Guards! first, I'm also a sucker for Vimes and the watch. You might understand DEATH as a character in Hogfather if you read Mort first, but as chris says, he's universal. You can find a timeline on the Pratchett Wiki if you get confused about continuity here http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Discworld_Timeline

I usually read books in the same timeframe, So I'd read The Truth and then Thief, and then the rest out of order.

Last edited: