Esslemont's Malazan Escapades anyone?

nj1

monkey is magic
Hi All,

Anyone else read Ian C. Esslemont's (ICE) MAlazan novels and if so what do you think?

Ian C Esslemont

I really enjoyed the first two books, Knight of Knives was a good starter from ICE, tho not upto to Erikson's standard IMO. It's a short book by Malazan standards and is based in Malaz city around the time of Kellenved's ascension (sp?). It was good to learn more about the heart of the empire and the old guard/Daseem.

Return of the Crimson Guard was an improvement in style with some regular characters popping up and a great if sometimes confusing climatic battle.

I've just finished book 1 of Stoneweilder which so far has sucked me in and I'm struggling to put it down. It's our first visit to Koreli and the Storm Wall with Greymane and a few other familiar faces. Once again ICE style has improved and feels more like a Malazan novel.

Sometimes when another author writes within someone else's world things don't follow the groove so to say, but with ICE co-creating the Malazan world, things haven't clashed as yet. Although the style hasn't been as high as Erikson's, things are improving with each of ICE's books. I also feel that there's plenty of room for two authors in this world what with Erikson taking the empire to other continents and ICE sticking to the other side of the empire.

So what do you lot think?

I enjoyed NoK and RotCG was really good.

I'm still undecided on Stoneweilder... I've got 94 pages left, and whilst I've liked what I've read, I just don't think it's got much substance.

Erikson is the better author, in my eyes, but Esslemont still has time to prove me wrong.

There's no doubt that Erikson's the more compete author but i think ICE is improving with each book. I wonder how much input they put into each others novels?
94 pages left? gosh, loads could happen and usually does near the end if past experience has anything to do with it :)

His next book, Stonewielder, is out now and I'm hearing that it is better than the first two books he wrote. In fact, it's been called excellent. As soon as I get some money, I'll be ordering it.

I just ordered it alongside the crippled God, so i should be getting it late february. (deciced to got for the cheapest packaging, so i'll be getting them together.)

Just finished NoK on the heels of Erikson's MT, and I must say that the change was incredibly refreshing. A nice quick book that explains a few major facts of the completely missing foundations in GotM. I find ICE is much better at a narrative style than is Erikson, and one is drawn into the story more quickly. Mind you, the purpose and structure of NoK is completely different from anything that Erikson has done, and comparing the two authors is really apples and oranges. Erikson writes big giant monsters that could use some judicious editing. ICE is much more economical and crisp, much more character-focused. I like both kinds of book, but it takes me longer to get into an Erikson book (especially MT. Good grief!), because he does not care to educate his readers at all. I have been whiplashed three times by Erikson (DHG, HoC, and now MT) with total changes of characters. ICE's advantage is that he comes in, and fills in a hole that has been bothering me. I love the Temper character. Hope to see him again, perhaps in SPOILER IN WHITE BELOW (highlight to read it)

a reunion with Dassem Ultor.

Back