Ego board

Does. I meant more like,what rag or mag would you still pay for on the stand? I had every issue of heavy metal, lampoon, fango etc. but today?-
weird tales... not the same. And JD is non-evident recently, Wilum is very kind w/info of course.
And Mouse writes brazen bloodbaths for Bloodbound so let's ask her.
I assume they are brazen and bloodbathy having not read one yet.:confused:

Blood Bound Books isn't open for submissions at the mo. But they do the extreme horror stuff as well as not-so-extreme stuff.

What's wrong with Weird Tales?

Wrong? Nothing... (goes and has a look) -they are still closed at the moment. By not the same - I mean as in the fifties when it was a cutting-edge, underground mag, Lovecraft etc.
Reading thru.. it's no-longer very creepy- it's a bit clever. I can see bright-eyed young authors deciding to write weird horror becase they discovered HPL or CAS or somebody... but that stuff does not translate to 2011 very well...so it's a completely different mag from where I sit. Trendy and cool instead of really weird and eclectic, but Weird Tales is still better than most, so not complaining. Do you have stuff in there Em?

Do you have stuff in there Em?

No, but would love to! I did send something once (which has been published elsewhere since) but they said it wasn't quite right for them and to send something else... which I never did. Not sure if they say that to everyone though!

There's Black Static, a rather dark mag by the same people who do Interzone.

Although they're UK based and don't take electronic subs I don't think.

I'm starting to wonder - after bashing through Duotropes for days- who are all these people with extemely demanding submission guidelines... who don't offer a penny or even a copy.
"send us your best! We want the next Chandler, Heinlein! We will accept blahblah.. but it better be tighter than a drum and A:B:C;...
I can't even read them anymore. The we-want-the-next-lovecraft for free crowd.
Literary journals, sure, contribute. SciFi, Fant, Horr, Crime, any good fiction - no.
I've decided to call them 'slush mags' no matter how cool their webpage is.
Advice to anyone starting out would be to set Duotropes to token payment and up and ignore the rest of 'em. - J.T.Cutthroat
ed. note - any magazine with a Mouse story innit may be excepted

I'm sorely tempted to turn my blog space into a review board of sciFi mags, but then I'd have to go read stuff online which hurts the eyes.
Mouse will win the sennyfi word contest this month. The merest hunch it is* *OffIcIaL*egoBooSt of th' day.

Rub it in. :rolleyes::p

My ego boost - Another story acceptance. Second this week!

Thanks guys!

One will be in TOL Fantasy - Tower of Light magazine. Michael is a member here, and Boneman is an editor for them. (Although I didn't know that when I submitted the story!)

And the other will be in a print anthology called Undertaker Tales, published by NorGus Press. And Perpetual Man looked that one over for me as he's an undertaker, so thanks to him!

And Anne, I reckon you could do a good short story. I always thought I would suck at them!

And Anne, I reckon you could do a good short story. I always thought I would suck at them!

It's more a case of finding the right idea. I tend to write about fantasy cultures in conflict, and it can be difficult to fit all the worldbuilding needed for a story like that into a few thousand words. Sometimes it works, but really I prefer exploring character and situation in more depth than a short story allows.

Perpetual Man is an undertaker? Wow, I just submitted a story with a bad undertaker in it, wisht I'd run it past him. Oh well.
Weird Tales is open again.

I saw this up the street, I guess it's a character I'm not familiar with, or else your fame is spreading!:):):)

Snow pitching down ...... I remember that from ages ago, so I guess we said it here, too.

Attachments

• MausIcon.jpg
    MausIcon.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 84
Writers have to have pretty thick skins, right? And I'm sure we all get the 'what the hell is this drivel I've just written?!' moment. (Or I do, anyway!)

Part of why I write short stories for mags and whatnot, is because every time I get an acceptance it confirms that I'm not a useless dipstick and do actually had a smidgen of talent. (The second part is because I can't not write, so short stories fill the gap while I'm procrastinating over my longer stuff!)

Recently, I've been getting good comments, both on here and from editors and readers and whatnot, and I've been tempted to print some of them out and have a sort of 'ego board' so that when I'm pondering burning all my work up in a big fire, I can look at it and it'll make me feel better.

Does anybody use anything like that? Is it a good idea or stupid?

Or maybe we can share here the good comments we've received. Like, a little while ago I had a rejection where the editor said the story wasn't for her, but that I had a LOT of talent. (Her emphasis!) And even though it was a rejection, it made me smile.

Be proud of what you've done is what I say. Get yourself a website and publish your much loved stories. There's nothing wrong with an ego as long as its tinged with humility!!

Rock on Mouse...squeak, squeak; have you got any cheese?

What a great name by the way!

Do you think I should change my name to squirrel, rat or meercat maybe?

Simples really:)