Peractio: My Survival Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of. I'm not quite sure where this is going yet, to be honest. I'll put the next chapter up to show you what we're dealing with.

Chapter 2.

After she had drawn the curtains, Laura switched on her computer and logged on to Don't Trust The Government. She had chosen Peractio as a penname because it was Latin for “The End.” It was funny – at the time. How long had it been since she went to the conspiracy sites? The contributors no doubt wore tinfoil hats and dwelt in basements full of survival rations and guns. Lots of guns. The thought of having to admit that the end-timers were actually right grated on her nerves. She was fairly certain of what she'd find there if she did look: “Told you we were right!”

Nonetheless, they might be able to shed some light on this. She went to her user control panel and found a dozen private messages. Most were asking her how she was doing and a few asked if the zombies were all over England.

With a sigh, Laura went to the Zombie Holocaust! subforum and answered a post from Appomattox1865.

“We are indeed overrun, but essential services are still running, for some reason. I've not seen any army or police doing anything. I switch the telly on sometimes but they're repeating stuff on a loop. All of my neighbours are dead. If there are any still alive, I haven't seen them.”

“Peractio!” replied Appomattox, and added a dozen dancing banana smilies for good measure.

The absurdity made Laura want to laugh. It had been a while since anything had amused her.

ET2012 replied, “Peractio, how are you doing there?”

As familiar as her scraggy old cardigan, the people she used to talk to on the forum came on. Yes, they were nutters, but they were her nutters. A smile tugged at the corners of her mouth and for the first time in ages, she felt safe. “I'm stuck in my flat. They don't like daylight so it's reasonably safe to go out then. I raided the supermarket but it's running out of stuff. All the perishables are either gone or off.”

“That's dangerous,” said Appomattox. “The slightest noise attracts them. Do you have any weapons?”

“Claw hammer,” she replied. “I've had to use it a few times.”

“Exercise and keep fit. They can run,” said ET2012.

“I know,” she told them. “They killed my neighbour Tom. I had to leave him.”

“You did what you had to,” said Appomatox. “If you're bit, that's it.”

“What's it like for you?” she asked.

“It hasn't reached us yet,” said ET2012. “The National Guard is all over the place demanding that we hand over sick people to them. They're showing all kinds of nasty ** on the TV to make sure we do. Folks is scared, and they do crazy things when they're scared. Well, I did say things was going to end soon, didn't I? Well, who's laughing now? I'm here in my basement with supplies of everything I need and enough guns to hold off an army of whatever comes to get me.”

Laura burst out laughing. Here they were in a life-or-death situation and the mods had the profanity filter on. They could report that their friends were being torn limb from limb, but couldn't swear when doing so! Then she clamped her hand over her mouth. If the creatures heard her, she was dead.

“We've had a few here,” said Appomatox, “but not for long. We shot every one of them ** down. We've blocked the roads to keep them out, so hopefully they won't even get here. They're concentrated in the cities. I'm right out in Hicksville.”

“How are you defending your place, Peractio?” asked ET2012.

“I've got the sofa jammed against the door,” she replied.

“They can get in through the windows,” said Appomatox.

“I'm on the twentieth floor.”

“That'll be fine while the electricity works,” said ET2012. “When that goes, it's a long climb up.”

“I'd say that's why it's still on,” said Appomatox. “To stop people wanting to leave. You still have a government, they're just containing you. See what happens to anyone who tries to leave wherever it is you live.”

Giving these nutters her personal details had never crossed Laura's mind, but now that she needed them, she wasn't afraid to let them know where she lived. They'd have to get past the police, the army and the creatures to get at her. “Manchester. Oh, something funny happened today. I found a dead body in the supermarket. It was just lying there with flies all over it. The creatures haven't been near it, as far as I know. There was nothing left of Tom.”

“That's weird,” said ET2012.

“I'm not doing anything to find out if they've all just buggered off,” she said.

“That's unlikely,” said Appomatox. “Is there anything we can do for you?”

“I need to find someone to stay with,” said Laura. “I can't stand being alone.”

“Start a blog,” suggested ET2012. “Give a full report on how things are going for you and what it's like out there. Eventually, someone will come for you.”

“I don't like giving out my personal details,” she replied. “You don't know who's out there.”

“What else can you do?” asked Appomatox.

Laura thought about it. If she didn't make all her details public, no one would find her unless she wanted them to. If Manchester was indeed under quarantine, there would be fewer crazies to attack her. However, the problem would be concentrated. Anyone who wanted to survive this would have to be as savage as the creatures. She had seen that already. “I'll start a blog as you suggested, ET. I'll use this penname and see who responds, then take it from there.”

“Attagirl,” said ET2012. “The last thing you want is some psycho taking advantage of the mayhem to attack you. But if there are decent folks out there, that's who you want to be with till this is over.”

They moved to the chat thread to talk about less serious issues, then Laura went and set up her blog.

Afterwards, she went to watch television. Recorded or not, it reminded her of better times. She had to put a blanket over the curtains, keep the volume down and sit right up close to the television, though, in case there were any creatures still in the building.

I assume the other guy is in the US? buy the national guard bit.
I do find myself asking how the virus started if its in the US as well as here and how it was known that it was only in manchester, and had the time to wall the city up before it spred. (also why the goverment is not dropping food/ medications in during daylight if they think there are survivors)

Oh, one more thing. how come nobody outside manchester is posting on the forum from the UK.

Oh dear, i'm comming over all Dave-ish :p :D

Why not?

As the story unfolds, you will notice a lot of stuff that makes you go, "Whut?"

That's what I want to happen. You'll see why later on.

All will be explained as time goes on. To avoid info-dumping, I can't let on what's happening, though I will post "excerpts" from blogs and internet articles that Laura will be reading.

Not read chapter 2 yet, but have responded to your final draft of chapter 1...

This draft is a lot better; much tighter and it irons out some niggles I had with the original. Still think there are areas where it could improve though. These are just my suggestions of course:

She could have taken a trolley. It would certainly have held more, but Laura was afraid that they would hear it rattling along the path, so she pushed an old pram along instead. The last time she had spoken to a normal person was the time she went out with Tom, who was caught and killed the week before. As far as she knew, she was the only truly alive person left in Manchester.

The start is a better hook. I like the prolonged use of "They" and "Them" before we realise it's a type of zombie. The bit about speaking to anyone comes a little out of the blue though in this paragraph; it might be better split into a new paragraph?

The supermarket's sign was still on, shining dully in the daylight. Blue, red and yellow sparks erupted from a snapped cable that dangled from a power line nearby. Laura skirted it, fearful of being electrocuted. There were no hospitals now and ambulances were a thing of the past. If she got hurt, she would be on her own. A grimace stretched her lips as she remembered that she hadn't had her tetanus shots in years. Well, it was too late now.

I'm sorry to say I'm in the camp that doesn't like the electricity still being on, especially if there are no emergency services of any sort. You say you have a reason for it, and that's fine, but I remember one of those "life after people" documentaries focussing on power stations and if I recall correctly, the power didn't last long without people to run the plants. Like I say, if you have an idea or plot point involving the power plants, I'd like to see what you come up with!

Before she went in, Laura wiped her face and blew her nose. They were less likely to hear her if she did all that outside. Thoughts of Tom's fate made her grip the bloodstained claw hammer in her gloved hand more tightly. She pulled down the mask of her riot police helmet and went inside.

Couple of niggles here. You've cut the "tears streaming" line, so is there a need to have Laura wipe her face and blow her nose? (I don't like the nose blowing anyway for some reason) Maybe have her wipe her sweaty face as you've indicated she already is a bit out of breath and sweating? Secondly, you mentioned before that the zombie virus is fairly potent, hence the mask - yet Laura doesn't clean the blood off the hammer? The bloodstained imagery is nice, but not practical if Laura was trying to steer clear of, er, zombie fluids.

Shards of glass lay scattered around. Some of them had blood on. Careful not to make too much noise, Laura pushed the pram into the shop, her heart thumping like a voodoo drum. She slowed down her breathing and held up her hammer, ready to batter anything that moved./QUOTE]

It's going to be difficult to quietly negotiate a pram over shattered glass. I love the voodoo drum line and the following sentence.

A vile stench crept into her nostrils. Them? Laura tensed, ready to run, but the buzz of flies calmed her fears. The slightest movement excited the... creatures. The word “Zombie” jumped unbidden into her mind, but Laura was having none of it. Whatever her neighbours were now, it was nothing like the shambling monsters in the horror movies. The presence of flies was a good sign. Gagging, she continued on her way. She could just about make out the purplish fingertips of a human corpse. The body was right next to the tetra-pack drinks. Laura took a deep breath through her mouth and carefully pushed her pram forward. When she drew near to the corpse, she was surprised to find it whole. It was hard to make out any details since the flies were all over it, and she didn't want to get any closer to that appalling miasma.

Don't like the use of "them" on this one occasion for some unknown reason. And I preferred how you first used the word "zombie" in the first draft rather than this second one. It's also a little unlikely that the entire body would be completely covered in flies? Certainly it would have an abundance, but not so many that Laura has to assume it's a man (as in the following paragraph). Also, I miss the little bit about the wine. It's a very human touch: It's practically the end of the world...sod it, I'm taking a bottle of wine!

The conundrum tumbled through Laura's mind like laundry in a washing machine

I don't like this. It's a bit comedic and pulls me out of the scene a little.

When she had gathered enough supplies, Laura turned around and went home.

I'd change "went" to "headed". "Went" implies she gets there safely and we just shouldn't know that yet.

Just my opinions. Please don't take this as a negative criticism. I'm picking out the bits that stood out to me that could do with tweaking. There's a lot of good in it too, but I didn't pick those out as they already work as far as I'm concerned! Just as a side note, if you're writing a full novel based on this chapter, a useful "reference" book could be "the zombie survival guide" by Max Brooks. it mentions some ideas you might not have thought of and you can discard anything that doesn't fit in with your own mythology.

Oh, and I'm glad you got rid of Tom's bulging bags. My inner 12 year old sniggered every time I read about them knocking over a dustbin and it sort of turned into Carry On Zombie...

Keep it up!

Thanks. Okay, she's posted her blog, and the conspiracy guys have spotted it. They're all mightily hacked off, and she has to post a grovelling apology. The blog post is the prologue, which I haven't posted here.

You're about to discover that the nutters have hair-trigger tempers and flare up like Roman candles at the slightest provocation. I'm going to skip past the internet insanity to show you this:

Things always seemed better after a cup of tea, so Laura went to get one, then returned to her computer. She typed an apology and promised to put a retraction in her blog, then went straight there.

Well, I got some responses, mostly from the people who saw this coming. The conspiracy enthusiasts were right all along. They knew this was going to happen and tried to warn us. We didn't listen. I owe them all a huge apology. We all do. Now that my life is in constant danger, I find I have to rely on their wisdom. Nothing else will get me out of this alive.

When she had posted it, Laura finished her tea, then sat back and considered what to do. The image of the body lying undisturbed in the supermarket haunted her. Why had it not been dragged away and devoured? Had the creatures succumbed to the disease that had robbed them of humanity and truly died, or what else was going on? The thought of living in a giant mausoleum with bodies rotting in every room appalled her. She had only decided to stay here because it was relatively safe.

Before she could investigate, she had to ensure her own survival. It made no sense to go out alone. She would simply have to find someone to go with her, to watch her back, as Tom had done. A pang of regret stung her conscience for a moment, then she snapped back to reality. If essential services were still working, it might be worth the risk of using the telephone. Mobile phones could be set to silent, and would be safer than landlines. All the numbers she knew were programmed into her phone, so she went through them one by one to see what happened. Just when she was about to give up, she got an answer.

“Hello?”

Laura's heart leapt within her. “Hello, Dave?”

“I'm not Dave,” said the man on the other end.

Somewhat disappointed, but curious nonetheless, Laura asked, “Who are you?

“I'm Ranjit Singh,” he replied. “How did you get this number?”

“I think I misdialled,” she stuttered, fighting to remain calm when she wanted to laugh, cry and scream with sheer joy. “Ranjit, it's so good to hear a human voice again. Where are you?”

“Sale,” he said. An edge of suspicion hardened his voice.

“I'm in Ordsall in a tower block. I've been able to get in and out. What's it like for you?”

“I'm in the attic, praying that my own parents don't hear me. They've tried to kill me several times already. I've been drinking from the cold water storage tank. On the few occasions I've ventured out, I've had to run for my life from people I know. I had to steal chocolate bars from the corner shop. I don't check the ingredients any more. I used to be so strict about that...”

The sounds of Ranjit's muffled sobs in the background broke Laura's heart. “Ranjit?”

“They broke through the barriers. I've been up here for three days praying that my own flesh and blood doesn't come up to devour me. I don't know what I am any more, lady.”

“Ranjit, listen to me...”

“I don't even know who you are.”

“I'm Laura Warden. I'm a survivor just like you and believe me, all the rules have changed. Everything you ever thought was good and right will get you killed. Your only hope is to find a safe place that you can defend and raid the shops when you can. You can't use money or credit cards any more.”

“Laura...”

“Ranjit, please. I'm fed up of being on my own. I want to find other people to be with – to remind me I'm human, not just a smarter creature than the ones out there. Can you get to a car?”

“Yes, I think so. Laura, the power on my phone is running low.”

“Get to the Sainsburys at Regent Road,” she instructed. “Regent Road. Ranjit?”

He didn't reply.

Would it be worth the risk to go out and see if he came? She charged her phone up to be on the safe side, then put on the police riot gear she had found lying in the street when she and Tom had first crept out to find food in the first few days after the world had gone mad. It still smelt of disinfectant. When she had cleared the furniture away from her front door, Laura hefted her claw hammer and opened it. Outside were three slavering, wild-eyed creatures. One leapt inside before she could get the door closed.

Not read chapter 2 yet, but have responded to your final draft of chapter 1...

This draft is a lot better; much tighter and it irons out some niggles I had with the original. Still think there are areas where it could improve though. These are just my suggestions of course:

The start is a better hook. I like the prolonged use of "They" and "Them" before we realise it's a type of zombie. The bit about speaking to anyone comes a little out of the blue though in this paragraph; it might be better split into a new paragraph?

I'm sorry to say I'm in the camp that doesn't like the electricity still being on, especially if there are no emergency services of any sort. You say you have a reason for it, and that's fine, but I remember one of those "life after people" documentaries focussing on power stations and if I recall correctly, the power didn't last long without people to run the plants. Like I say, if you have an idea or plot point involving the power plants, I'd like to see what you come up with!

Couple of niggles here. You've cut the "tears streaming" line, so is there a need to have Laura wipe her face and blow her nose? (I don't like the nose blowing anyway for some reason) Maybe have her wipe her sweaty face as you've indicated she already is a bit out of breath and sweating? Secondly, you mentioned before that the zombie virus is fairly potent, hence the mask - yet Laura doesn't clean the blood off the hammer? The bloodstained imagery is nice, but not practical if Laura was trying to steer clear of, er, zombie fluids.

Shards of glass lay scattered around. Some of them had blood on. Careful not to make too much noise, Laura pushed the pram into the shop, her heart thumping like a voodoo drum. She slowed down her breathing and held up her hammer, ready to batter anything that moved./QUOTE]
It's going to be difficult to quietly negotiate a pram over shattered glass. I love the voodoo drum line and the following sentence.

Don't like the use of "them" on this one occasion for some unknown reason. And I preferred how you first used the word "zombie" in the first draft rather than this second one. It's also a little unlikely that the entire body would be completely covered in flies? Certainly it would have an abundance, but not so many that Laura has to assume it's a man (as in the following paragraph). Also, I miss the little bit about the wine. It's a very human touch: It's practically the end of the world...sod it, I'm taking a bottle of wine!

I don't like this. It's a bit comedic and pulls me out of the scene a little.

I'd change "went" to "headed". "Went" implies she gets there safely and we just shouldn't know that yet.

Just my opinions. Please don't take this as a negative criticism. I'm picking out the bits that stood out to me that could do with tweaking. There's a lot of good in it too, but I didn't pick those out as they already work as far as I'm concerned! Just as a side note, if you're writing a full novel based on this chapter, a useful "reference" book could be "the zombie survival guide" by Max Brooks. it mentions some ideas you might not have thought of and you can discard anything that doesn't fit in with your own mythology.

Oh, and I'm glad you got rid of Tom's bulging bags. My inner 12 year old sniggered every time I read about them knocking over a dustbin and it sort of turned into Carry On Zombie...

Keep it up!
Thanks, Oxman. I need this crit like I need air.

I got to this bit and chuckled......

Laura's heart leapt within her. “Hello, Dave?”

“I'm not Dave,” said the man on the other end.

Somewhat disappointed, but curious nonetheless, Laura asked, “Who are you?

Coz of this......

CHONG: Who is it?
CHEECH: It's me, Dave. Open up, man, I got the stuff.
CHEECH: It's me, Dave, man. Open up, I got the stuff.
(More knocks)
CHONG: Who?
CHEECH: It's, Dave, man. Open up, I think the cops saw me come in here.
CHEECH: It's, Dave, man. Will you open up, I got the stuff with me.
(More knocks)
CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up.
CHEECH: Yeah, Dave. C'mon, man, open up, I think the cops saw me.
CHONG: Dave's not here.
CHONG: Dave?
CHEECH: No, man, I'm Dave, man.
(Sharp knocks at the door)
CHEECH: Hey, c'mon, man.
CHEECH: It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me.
CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up.
CHEECH: Yeah, Dave.
CHONG: Dave's not here.
CHEECH: What the hell? No, man, I am Dave, man. Will you...
(More knocks)
CHEECH: Oh, what the hell is it...c'mon. Open up the door! It's Dave!
CHEECH: C'mon! Open up the door, will you? I got the stuff with me, I think the cops saw me.
CHEECH: Dave! D-A-V-E! Will you open up the goddamn door!
CHEECH: Yeah, Dave!
CHEECH: Right, man. Dave. Now will you open up the door?
CHONG: Dave's not here
:D

I will here confess that I have never read a zombie book, nor seen a zombie film. I therefore can't say what is and is not cliched. But, to be frank, this doesn't strike me as seeming fresh, nor particularly gripping. And even in its present incarnation, it strikes me as something of an info-dump.

red = suggested amendments/additions
[blue] = suggested deletions
[purple] = general comments

[when I started this critique, you'd not long put up the revised version of chapter 1, therefore this may duplicate the thoughts of others who have snuck in ahead of me]

She could have taken a trolley. It would certainly have held more, but Laura was afraid that they [I'd suggest you don't italicise -- it's too obvious, particually as you continually repeat it -- I'm afraid it begins to read as very amateurish] would hear it rattling along the path, [path? is she on the pavement, on a road, a small steet, on tarmac, concrete, paving slabs, what?] so she pushed an old pram along instead. [and an old pram doesn't rattle? And I accept that oop north may be very different from the effete south, but when was the last time you saw a pram, old or otherwise, as opposed to a push-chair?] The last time she had spoken to a normal person was when [the time] she'd gone [went] out with Tom, [see point 1 below] who had been [was] caught and killed the week before. As far as she knew, she was the only living -- truly living -- [truly alive] [I can see you mean to imply that the zombies are kind of alive -- unfortunately "truly alive" carries connotations beyond this, ie the hippy is "truly alive" in his own mind in comparison with the dull, dead-end-job clerk] person left in Manchester.

The wind blew cold as if summer didn't realise it had arrived, [you seem wedded to this phrase -- personally I don't think it has a place here, unless laura is a poet manque. See point 2 below] but Laura had wrapped up more for protection than for comfort. [this is where you can say about the gloves and the rest of what she's wearing if it's unusual] She tried not to move too quickly. [unless this is related to the cold and/or clothes wearing, this is a point 1 problem again] It wouldn't do to arrive out of breath at the supermarket, then have to make a quick getaway. Tom's screams clawed at her memory again. She tried to suppress it – she was low on food and couldn't [not] [this is a zombie book, not a legal treatise where contractions are frowned upon] afford to let fear drive her back to her flat.

It was the silence that creeped her out the most. [really? So she'd have been creeped out in the middle of the Highlands would she, where there is silence? It's the lack of noise which upsets her? Not the complete isolation? The fact that a city of 2 million people is now empty of all living creatures? Not the fact that she is surrounded by flesh-eating monsters which would kill her in the blink of an eye? Not the fact that she has no one, no hope, no future, no life? I think you need to think about this a little more] For the ten years she had lived in the city, the never-ending [no hyphen -- all one word] background hum of traffic had accompanied her every waking moment. Though she lived on the eighteenth floor, she could always hear it. Even at work, she could hear it faintly over the trill of the phones and the thrum of the photocopier. Now [that] it was gone, and she missed it. [She misses traffic noise? Unless you are trying to show a psychological trait in that she is magnifying a relatively small matter to compensate for the real loss, or the question of noise is a vital plot point, I really think you're giving this way too much time and attention. And how long have the zombies been around? Why hasn't she got used to the non-noise?]

Huge grey tower blocks loomed on either side of her. God alone knew how many of them might be lurking inside. [She had no desire to find out for herself.] [you don't say....] Sweat stippled her [Laura's] brow, soaking her headband, but hunger [why hunger? You said she was low on food not that she was out of it altogether] drove her on.

The supermarket's sign was still on, [I find this unconvincing -- have you researched how long electricity substations or whatevers can continue operating in the absence of human control? Because if humans are around, they'd have shut off the power to a city of zombies] shining dully in the daylight. Blue, red and yellow sparks erupted from a snapped cable that dangled from a power line nearby. [do you mean the power line is nearby, or the dangling cable is? If the former, that's obvious since the cable is here -- the power line could hardly be detached from it and in the next street. If you mean the cable, "nearby" as a word indicates far enough away not to be close and is therefore no danger to Laura in any event. Instead of a nebulous "nearby" why don't you tell us how close it is?] Laura skirted it [, fearful of being electrocuted]. [I think this can be taken as read] [There were no hospitals now and ambulances were a thing of the past. If she got hurt, she would be on her own.] [you've already told us she thinks she's the only living person -- I think we can therefore safely assume all of this] [A grimace stretched her lips as she remembered that she hadn't had her tetanus shots in years. Well, it was too late now.] [unless this is a vital plot point, it shouldn't be here. And as a side issue -- the UK has had a tetanus vaccination programme for years -- if the full course of 5 was undertaken when Laura was a child no further jabs are necessary -- she certainly wouldn't have been receiving regular injections]

'I've got to slow down,' she thought. 'I've been going too fast and I'm almost out of breath. If I have to run, I won't make it.' [this might be a personal taste, but I find italicised thoughts stuck in the middle of this kind of extended thought-exposition disruptive]

Before she went in, Laura wiped her face and blew her nose. They were less likely to hear her if she did all that outside. [really? They could hear her wipe her face? Why would they be more likely to hear it inside --because they are upstairs inside? Why aren't they more likely to hear it if she's outside as they're in the many surrounding buildings? And why doesn't she perhaps dispense with blowing her nose altogether and just wipe silently?] Thoughts of Tom's fate made her grip the bloodstained claw hammer [in her gloved hand] [she could hardly have gripped if it was anywhere else. If the important part is the gloves, get that in somewhere else] more tightly. She pulled down the mask of her riot police helmet and went inside.

Sharp shards of glass from the shattered windows lay scattered around. [the alliteration is painful] Some of them had blood on. Careful not to make too much noise, Laura pushed the pram into the shop, her heart thumping like a voodoo drum. [as opposed to beating like a kettle drum? Does she have intimate knowledge of voodoo drums because of her ethnicity/religion/pastimes? If not, I'd suggest you delete.] She tried to steady her breathing and held up her hammer, [unless she has the muscles of a body builder, holding it up for any length of time is just likely to give her arm ache and exhaust her] ready to batter anything that moved. [She would have to. The alternative was too horrible to contemplate.] [I really don't think you need to spell everything out like this -- readers aren't stupid, they can cotton on that this is a life-or-death situation by means of a few hints]

A vile stench [see point 2 below] crept into her nostrils. Them? Laura tensed, ready to run, but the buzz of flies calmed her fears. The slightest movement excited the... creatures. [this has no relation to the earlier sentences -- see point 1 below again] The word “zombie” jumped unbidden into her mind, but Laura was having none of it. Whatever her neighbours were now, it was nothing like the shambling monsters in the horror movies. [the problem with referencing horror movies is that you immediately pull the reader out of the story -- it's too self-referential] The presence of flies was a good sign. [this sentence should have followed immediately after the earlier one -- but at some point you have to explain why this is a good sign] Gagging, she continued on her way. She could just about make out the purplish fingertips of a [human] [unless it's obvious in context that it's an animal, people are likely to assume it's human without your saying -- especially as not too many other creatures have fingers] corpse. [does this mean the rest of the body is hidden from her eyes, eg under the fresh fruit counter? Or is it that all she can recognise of the corpse are the fingers?] The body was right next to the tetra-pack [Tetra Pak -- note spelling -- is undoubtedly a registered trademark, and companies can take offence very easily. Unless the use of these packs is vital, I suggest you lodge the body next to something which is less likely to create problems] drinks. Laura took a deep breath through her mouth and carefully pushed her pram forward. When she reached the corpse, she was surprised to find it whole. It was hard to make out any details since the flies were all over it, and she didn't want to get any closer [so why has she gone as close as she has? If she is curious to begin with, say so. If she needs to get to the long life drinks, say so] to that appalling miasma. [see point 2 below]

The conundrum [see point 2 below] tumbled through Laura's mind like laundry in a washing machine [is this meant to be a comedy novel? If not, I'd suggest you go dispense with comic similes] as she hurriedly grabbed [is she grabbing indiscriminatingly? So she could end up with a dozen tins of the baked beans? Or is she being careful in what she selects? Details of this kind can be important in giving us information about Laura without dumping it on us] tins and bottles [of food and drink] [she's in a supermarket. We're not expecting her to pick up tins of Castrol GTX] to put in her pram. This man [(judging by the size and shape)] was truly dead [no kidding...] – and the others hadn't eaten him. But they often [often doesn't mean always, therefore why should the presence of an uneaten one worry her?] ate their own kind! [avoid exclamation marks unless necessary] Had they gone away or died out? [how likely is that?]

Laura went over what she knew about them. [yep -- info-dump alert. She wouldn't need to preface her own thoughts like this -- and the information you do give has no relevance to the question of the uneaten corpse so is wholly irrelevant in context anyway] Violent and far beyond reason, they attacked and devoured everything that moved. [evidently not since she is undevoured, and I note that flies exist which move presumably] Thankfully, [strictly speaking, a wrong use of "thankfully" -- and you're better off without it anyway] they hated light, so she could creep [you've already had "creeped" and "crept" in the same short piece -- find alternatives] out during the day. However, if the sky was overcast [enough], some had been known to venture out, and there had been a few close calls. Noise attracted them. Tom had been [was] killed when he'd [went with her out to get food and] bumped against a rubbish bin [with his bulging bags], [painful alliteration again. ] knocking it over. In the silent emptiness of the estate, he might as well have set off a firework.

If they were gone, where had they gone? [this really isn't convincing -- why should she leap to the conclusion that every zombie has gone simply because there is one uneaten body in a shop?] Was there a chance of normality returning or would the world become the post-apocalyptic [see point 2 below] mess portrayed in films?[as before -- too arch and knowing -- it's like you're winking at us]

1. A general rule about paragraphs is that you group things together, and a different subject means a different para. Of course, like all so-called rules in writing, it's not an absolute, but it is worth treating it with respect. You frequently veer into a different issue within a paragraph and it makes for jumbled, chaotic writing -- this could work if you wanted to show her jumbled chaotic thoughts, but I don't think it does here. eg that first paragraph -- these are discrete matters: the sentences about the trolley do not have any link to the sentence about Tom. If the can be liked, link them. If not, give them separate paras. You don't want a succession of one- or two-sentence paras though, so be careful how you group things.

2. Word use. When writing in close-ish third person you have to be careful to use words which the character him/herself would use. I don't know what job Laura had, but nothing about her appears to suggest someone with more than an average vocabulary. To be frank, I cannot see her being on nodding terms with "appalling maisma", "conundrum" and "post-apocalyptic". I may of course be wrong and she is a highly intelligent, professional woman -- in which case you need to write her so she appears this way. Otherwise, this read as you, the author, commenting and it sticks out like a sore digit. This applies to phrases as well -- you need to make description etc fit character. "The weather was foul" denotes a different kind of person from one shown by "The rain was pi**ing down".

Er... could I suggest, Bella, that you slow down. Putting up a revised version of a scene before all the possible critiques is in is one thing, though I'd have suggested you wait a day or two to get more reaction. Posting an immediate second chapter is another. Then posting an immediate third extract would usually be a one-way ticket to getting the thread locked. Amending a few sentences to accomodate people's critiques isn't the same thing as learning and understanding why things have been said. You need time to digest the critiques. We need time to look at your work.

Thanks for the help, Judge. I'll work on the story and leave it for a day or two before posting more.

Edit: BTW I used to get a lot of flak for not using prose. When can I use it, or should I ditch it altogether?

From a man who has been accussed of using the odd info dump now and again, I thought the second draft of the first post was pretty good. I am a lover of all things zombie from Romero to the present series on FX The Walking Dead. I thought your story hit the right notes in this genre.The others have commented on style and word craft and I have learned an awful lot from such critiques. For myself it is how the story flows and this hit the nail on the head for me. Going back to read Chapter 2 now.

Better. I see much promise in you young Jedi. Keep it going.

Edit: BTW I used to get a lot of flak for not using prose. When can I use it, or should I ditch it altogether?
I'm not sure what you mean by this -- everything you have written is prose, as a word it simply means any writing which isn't poetry.
Par ma foi! il y a plus de quarante ans que je dis de la prose sans que j'en susse rien! [Good heavens! For more than forty years I've been speaking prose without knowing it!] -- Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme -- Moliere
If, possibly, you mean the use of imagery and poetic wording ie so-called literary writing, then my advice is don't, not unless it comes easily to you. Trying to aim for a style which is not your own natural way of talking/writing can quickly seem forced and artificial. You also have to weigh up the kind of book you are writing, the potential readership, and the characters themselves. If you look at work by someone like Malloriel, her writing is very allusive and poetic, and imagery can be used to create vast edifices of splendour. But just sticking the odd metaphor into otherwise basic prose on the basis that this is what you think "ought" to be done, is only going to make it seem odd. Unless, of course, it is in a character's POV -- so if someone is of a poetic bent, then having him exclaim on the limpid beauty of the night would be in keeping (if regrettably erroneous...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back