• Vampires and Werecreatures

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xelah

Resident Scoundrel
Seems to be a hot topic here, vampires and werewolves and all. I'm curious as to how many fantasy writers here are working on a project that has either vampires or werecreatures of some sort. They don't have to be the main character, just that they're in the work.

I had a story about vampires last year for NaNo, but I never finished it and am not currently working on it, so I had to vote neither.

Actually my current WIP started as an attempt to re-imagine the classic/modern werewolf and witch mythologies. I wanted to maintain classic elements of each mythos while making it something (somewhat, at least) my own. I've since evolved the story into something wholly new yet recognizable.... Short answer? Yes, werewolves after a fashion.

Shapeshifters feature in my story. There are several werewolves in the story, and a single fox that can assume human form also. It is mentioned in passing by characters that vampires also exist, though none of them actually feature in the story. As such I said shapeshifters only in the poll, but arguably should have said both.

Don't have vampires, but we do have cannibalistic Trolls and the Agden wolves which are three times the size of a normal wolf.

I've virtually never read anything that featured vampires or werewolves. Shapeshifters aplenty - but I think I'd class them as something different.

That carries over into my written work as well...for some reason it's just not a mythos that I find personally appealing.

Having said that, a well re-imagined take on either (but particularly werewolves) might well be something I'd be interested in.

Werecreatures? Me? Some mistake surely...

None in my longer stuff. Werewolves and vampires in a recent short story. But that was for a werewolf/vampire anthology so... :)

Both my 'Bete Noir' short-short and its novel-length prequel, 'Project Lorraine' had Vampires of the plausible variety. ( HomoSap Vampiris rather than HSS so cannot interbreed with us, have severe Porphyria etc...) I invoked were-folk as an artefact of the neuro-toxins in some vampires' toxic bite: Victims become animalistic, think they're animals, behave like wild animals, but are merely psychotic...

I've not done any more with the scenario since...

I don't have any vampires or werecreatures in any of my current projects, although I did have some human-beast shapeshifters in one of my earliest attempts at writing.

I'm tempted to write a story with vampires, simply so I can have vampires rip peoples throats out, instead of the glittery stuff that seems to be going around. But no, I'm not working on anything with vampires or warecriters.

The vamps in Magic Bites by Kate Daniels thankfully are not glittery. In fact, they're relatively stupid, animalistic, and mostly controlled by necromancers. Usually I say I'm tired of these tropes, but this book is pretty good.

Nothing in my own work. Mostly focused on witches.

It makes me a little sad and irritated seeing how many people use "glittery" and "sparkly" and like phrases to describe "current" vampires. It's only one author. ONE woman has done this, but do to her inexplicable popularity it's become some kind of fad amongst those who take vampires "more seriously" to qualify that THEIR vampires are nothing like the kind that "seem to be going around". They would be "going around" if more than one author was shoving glitter-dusted undead in our faces and down our throats. The massive rejection of her work is almost as bad as the massive consumption.

I say, accept that vampires have digressed from the mythos dramatically, or do something about it in your own work. Moaning about the turn they've taken solves nothing, and provides nothing to distract everyone from what it is that strikes you as being so wrong about it.

Glitter dusted undead...

I would so love it if somebody wrote about sparkly zombies.