What would be Firefly's Season 2 story arc?

Jayne's Treachery has to raise it's ugly head again, surely

I was actually thinking of the comment earlier about Mal being more of a rogue and unwilling to resurrect and lead the browncoats... it occurred to me he could keep the rogue thing and, wait for it, jayne becomes the leader of a revolution. instead of betrayal, you see the hero of canton thing take hold in him (already hinted at by his closeness with the preacher and tipping the scales towards involvement in serenity with his "Can't do something smart, do something right" thing). Watch him struggle to handle it and others struggle to believe it.

She'll probably start to get dark and cold over losing Wash. But Zoe has a very dominant nature, and she seems to be at her best when using it. So she may "adopt" a member of the crew to keep an extra-close eye over... River, for instance. I can just see her saying to Mal, "That girl still needs watchin', even now, Cap'n." That'll keep her on an even keel.

That could work... especially with her being a warrior, but also a parent trying to humanize the assassin tendencies of River. They could be one bad ass duo in a fight, while Zoe teaches her about the need for restraint and compassion that she got from Wash. She can have dialogues with him to keep him involved in the show too. But I don't see other men for her... Zoe and Wash were too perfect together.

As far as new characters... how about involving old ones more? Niska's still at large and a nemesis, Atherton has a bone to pick. Perhaps Saffron could join the crew... it gives Inara something to sweat about, an awkward foil for Mal, you can't totally trust her, she could be fun to have around.

As far as new characters... how about involving old ones more? Niska's still at large and a nemesis, Atherton has a bone to pick. Perhaps Saffron could join the crew... it gives Inara something to sweat about, an awkward foil for Mal, you can't totally trust her, she could be fun to have around.

Thought along these lines myself. Badger could get stuck with the crew for awhile, if his business fell through, but he could be a useful salesman to get Mal jobs. I'd expect to see Saffron once or twice... maybe have Serenity actually volunteer to pull her out of a jam.

Saffron should go after Atherton. Now there's a match made in heaven!

Niska is, I think, too much of a p***y to try again to get Mal... and all his best henchmen are dead... but after his pasting, he might strike an agreement with Mal just to save face, and they'd actually do business again. Or maybe Niska would back Mal in a scrape, in grudging respect for him. Dunno... it can be surprisingly hard to predict a businessman with a code sometimes...

Sorry for the bump, but I just discovered this site..

Now with a new series of Firefly, there's a few questions that can be explored..

Zoe and Mal. Possible breif romance? I know you're all thinking it.

Even if the Alliance is damaged by the exposure about what happenned on Miranda, they can still be an oppressive force and the Serenity Crew can have plenty of other injustices to fight / discover..

Big question about the Reavers. Did enough of them survive the battle at the end of Serenity for them to continue to be a threat in the universe?

I'm all keen for a return of Saffron, by the way.

OK so we know that River can be a great weapon, however the Alliance had been doing the exact same thing with a number of other subjects.. Imagine if the Alliance sent one of those out to try and 'eliminate' River..
Even though River 'let her secret out' I am pretty sure the Alliance may still consider her too dangerous to live.. And the Serenity crew may have exposed one part of the Alliance's dirty work (Miranda/Reavers) but they never announced the terrible things they did to river (and presumably are still doing to other subjects).

I didn't think that the Miranda thing would've brought down the Alliance, just as an illegal invasion of Iraq didn't bring down any of our governments.

Why not do it the simple was? In the first episode, they go to some random planet and find Wash. The story arc could simply be how he could return from the dead, and how he deals with it. He might not even remember being his old life, but gradually get his memory back over the season.

Think about it. Wash is back, but doesn't know how. How would Zoe feel about it? What about the others? They can't just leave him behind, but they can't know it's really Wash, either. For all they know he might be a spy. Maybe he's an android? A clone? The real Wash? The whole season could lead up to revealing a new enemy far greater than the Reapers. The universe is infinite, after all. The reapers were the greatest threat to the known universe, but what about the unknown universe?

As for the rest of the crew, they were mercenaries, right? So they will just go back to doing their job. Steal, cheat, rob and flee from the law. Just the way we want it. :)

I know this might be too similar to the whole River-thing, but that's just the basics. Wash isn't a superman or anything like that. He's just a very confused, scared Wash no one truly trusts - not even Zoe, yet she still loves him as much as she used to. Maybe even more, now that he's back.

Perhaps a download into Mr. Universe's love bot?

Wow. I really love a bunch of these ideas here. I have always been a massive fan of firefly/serenity and have just recently rewatched the series again.

First of all, my criteria for what a third season would have to be that it would be post "Serenity" and sticks to the storyline from there. It would be by far the easiest to do since there's no way they could use new actors to continue on with. So a post serenity timeline makes sense. River can be just a bit more grown up and all.

Another bit of criteria would be that it should be one season that has a pretty closed story arc by the end. No need to leave another loose ended season that might not come.

I feel that River and Mal would gain a bit stronger of a father daughter relationship, as set up by the endings of season one and the end of serenity. This would easily come about as River would likely become Serenity's principle pilot now, with Mal up in the cockpit alot. River would retain her 'Aloof' state of apperance but slowly become more deliberate in her actions, gaining control of the training implanted in her by the alliance, possibly even a few more "secrets" by some point.

The season would start out with nobody being the wiser about who aired the Alliances dirty laundry. But quickly small uprising would begin to be seen about the system. Eventually it would be found out that Serenity and crew were the ones responsible. The new browncoats movement would try to get him onboard. But of course Mal will refuse, saying something about needing to protect his own.

This whole time, Zoe will have been taking Wash's death pretty hard. She will be distant. Prone to attacking Alliance at any chance (small stuff, like a random guy saying ANYTHING Pro Alliance) basically trying to get herself killed. When the New Browncoats come looking for Mal as a leader. Who they will get instead is Zoe, who needs to leave Serenity to help her deal with the loss of wash. In the long run this will be for the best, Zoe always being the cool head and strategist to Mal's "kick em in the nuts, first time every time, no matter the hurt you get doing it" approach.

Now that this has happened. We're getting a pretty sparse crew here! Time to bring in a little fresh blood. Maybe a small time group that Serenity rescues from a situation. Or maybe one or two strays from the past. In any case, I think one of them needs to be a bit of a badass chick, to make up for the loss of Zoe as a strong fighter. This should give Jayne a bit of a love interest, I think that would just be funny as hell, Jayne getting all googly eyed and doing stuff to be genuinely nice (can you imagine him giving a lady flowers). Maybe bring on a guy who is a Cheff getting passage, but end up getting hooked on like the original passengers. Maybe he has a secret past life of a ninja or somethin to make him good with knives ;-)

So. Regular hyjinks occur. They get jobs. Character development stuff. Mal and Inarra finally start to cozy up to each other, things get in their way, some great ideas have already come for that. Simon and Kayle are together. They probably wind up getting married or engaged. Jayne, new people, others do their stuff as needed. All is good.

All the while the browncoats have started to build up. With the alliance trying to siege them into submission by cutting supplies and support to the outer colonies where they are based, they finally push to far somewhere, bringing back complete war, with Serenity stuck in the middle. Mal eventually gets stuck with a choice with either helping the alliance, or retaking his role as a browncoat. Of course, hilarious line and mayhem insues, and Serenity becomes the "ceremonial flagship" of the browncoat movement, always being the little ship that could, sort of deal.

In this short war, the Alliance has done some
Evil things (think weapons of mass destruction, killing whole populations to get a small suspected browncoat group etc.) and has turned even many of the inner planets citizens against them. Zoe (who is now General or Admiral, something of the sort) calls on Mal to do what he is best at. An overly stupid, almost one way attack on the central alliance leadership that nobody else could ever make work.

Leading a small strike force of browncoats, Mal and crew go after the central alliance leadership, based in some well hidden super base somewhere (can you say deathstar?) Thanks to Rivers gleaming info about this place off of Parliment people while being experimented, they feel like they might have a shot of pulling the whole thing off.

With River as guide, Kayle doing her on the fly rigging and stuff to get through jams. Simon being combat medic. Jayne (and hopefully girlfriend? :-D) at the charge of the assault team. Zoe the commander of the main battlefleet as distraction to give them a chance of completing the
Mission.

Of course. They do whatever it is to be done to cripple the alliance military in the battle. The Browncoats, having won, feel like they should take over, but Mal, in his wisdom? Basically says that by doing that, they will have become the new alliance, and this would just be the start of a new uprising to come. They find some way of making life better for everyone, and peace reigns through the universe. The end. Oh and Mal and Inara finally get, and stay together. If Inara doesn't get shafted at some point lol.

If you can't tell I'm a bit of an action guy, so the whole final battle may be slightly big and exciting. Lots of good blowing stuff up. Things that firefly/serenity is quite good at. Unfortunatly being a leaf in the wind will probably only work once :-( sorry wash. Serenity might get blown up, some kind of symbolic thing for Mal to be able to put the old rebellion behind him and just live his life. ( Like he would become a farmer, lol. I see a short retirement for him)

So, that's kinda a beginning and end of what I think would be a great final season of firefly. Few holes, if any holes left to be filled. All is pretty well with the verse, with lots of good lines and explosions.

Wow. I really love a bunch of these ideas here. I have always been a massive fan of firefly/serenity and have just recently rewatched the series again.

First of all, my criteria for what a third season would have to be that it would be post "Serenity" and sticks to the storyline from there. It would be by far the easiest to do since there's no way they could use new actors to continue on with. So a post serenity timeline makes sense. River can be just a bit more grown up and all.

Another bit of criteria would be that it should be one season that has a pretty closed story arc by the end. No need to leave another loose ended season that might not come.

I feel that River and Mal would gain a bit stronger of a father daughter relationship, as set up by the endings of season one and the end of serenity. This would easily come about as River would likely become Serenity's principle pilot now, with Mal up in the cockpit alot. River would retain her 'Aloof' state of apperance but slowly become more deliberate in her actions, gaining control of the training implanted in her by the alliance, possibly even a few more "secrets" by some point.

The season would start out with nobody being the wiser about who aired the Alliances dirty laundry. But quickly small uprising would begin to be seen about the system. Eventually it would be found out that Serenity and crew were the ones responsible. The new browncoats movement would try to get him onboard. But of course Mal will refuse, saying something about needing to protect his own.

This whole time, Zoe will have been taking Wash's death pretty hard. She will be distant. Prone to attacking Alliance at any chance (small stuff, like a random guy saying ANYTHING Pro Alliance) basically trying to get herself killed. When the New Browncoats come looking for Mal as a leader. Who they will get instead is Zoe, who needs to leave Serenity to help her deal with the loss of wash. In the long run this will be for the best, Zoe always being the cool head and strategist to Mal's "kick em in the nuts, first time every time, no matter the hurt you get doing it" approach.

Now that this has happened. We're getting a pretty sparse crew here! Time to bring in a little fresh blood. Maybe a small time group that Serenity rescues from a situation. Or maybe one or two strays from the past. In any case, I think one of them needs to be a bit of a badass chick, to make up for the loss of Zoe as a strong fighter. This should give Jayne a bit of a love interest, I think that would just be funny as hell, Jayne getting all googly eyed and doing stuff to be genuinely nice (can you imagine him giving a lady flowers). Maybe bring on a guy who is a Cheff getting passage, but end up getting hooked on like the original passengers. Maybe he has a secret past life of a ninja or somethin to make him good with knives ;-)

So. Regular hyjinks occur. They get jobs. Character development stuff. Mal and Inarra finally start to cozy up to each other, things get in their way, some great ideas have already come for that. Simon and Kayle are together. They probably wind up getting married or engaged. Jayne, new people, others do their stuff as needed. All is good.

All the while the browncoats have started to build up. With the alliance trying to siege them into submission by cutting supplies and support to the outer colonies where they are based, they finally push to far somewhere, bringing back complete war, with Serenity stuck in the middle. Mal eventually gets stuck with a choice with either helping the alliance, or retaking his role as a browncoat. Of course, hilarious line and mayhem insues, and Serenity becomes the "ceremonial flagship" of the browncoat movement, always being the little ship that could, sort of deal.

In this short war, the Alliance has done some
Evil things (think weapons of mass destruction, killing whole populations to get a small suspected browncoat group etc.) and has turned even many of the inner planets citizens against them. Zoe (who is now General or Admiral, something of the sort) calls on Mal to do what he is best at. An overly stupid, almost one way attack on the central alliance leadership that nobody else could ever make work.

Leading a small strike force of browncoats, Mal and crew go after the central alliance leadership, based in some well hidden super base somewhere (can you say deathstar?) Thanks to Rivers gleaming info about this place off of Parliment people while being experimented, they feel like they might have a shot of pulling the whole thing off.

With River as guide, Kayle doing her on the fly rigging and stuff to get through jams. Simon being combat medic. Jayne (and hopefully girlfriend? :-D) at the charge of the assault team. Zoe the commander of the main battlefleet as distraction to give them a chance of completing the
Mission.

Of course. They do whatever it is to be done to cripple the alliance military in the battle. The Browncoats, having won, feel like they should take over, but Mal, in his wisdom? Basically says that by doing that, they will have become the new alliance, and this would just be the start of a new uprising to come. They find some way of making life better for everyone, and peace reigns through the universe. The end. Oh and Mal and Inara finally get, and stay together. If Inara doesn't get shafted at some point lol.

If you can't tell I'm a bit of an action guy, so the whole final battle may be slightly big and exciting. Lots of good blowing stuff up. Things that firefly/serenity is quite good at. Unfortunatly being a leaf in the wind will probably only work once :-( sorry wash. Serenity might get blown up, some kind of symbolic thing for Mal to be able to put the old rebellion behind him and just live his life. ( Like he would become a farmer, lol. I see a short retirement for him)

So, that's kinda a beginning and end of what I think would be a great final season of firefly. Few holes, if any holes left to be filled. All is pretty well with the verse, with lots of good lines and explosions.

The future story arc for Firefly?

listen to the DVD commentary for the pilot by Joss Whedon.

It's right there on screen in the pilot. after they get kicked out of the meeting with the thug and they're walking back to Serenity, look in the background at the cargo containers.

BlueSun :eek:

Yes, that's it. The Blue Sun is the mysterious antagonist that has yet to be flushed out. Which means River's (and Simon's) story is far from over.
If the series would ever continue, I would like to see flashbacks of the characters that have passed in cinema death. Who knows, maybe because of Book's importance in the world, he has a clone 'awaken' and he is very pre-shepard. That would mean the crew of Serenity could be at odds with him and would have to win him over because the situation that reasoned him leaving that life has not happened to this version of Book. The one thing that no one has touched on is Mal's hatred for anything spiritual since the war. He was big on the Big Guy until the battle of Serenity and that was a nice conflict/hopeful resolution with Shepard Book that was never realized. It could be if he (Book) came back of sorts. It would be interesting if Mal had to teach Book about God, even unwittingly.

Good things don't die. This show had so many rare elements in it that made it special from the start to the finish. These characters were tight from the moment the cameras turned on, not a season into it. I do so hope it comes back in some form or another. But if it does not, that would make those 14 episodes and a movie swansong that should not have seen the light of day, well, it would make that gem of a show that much more ...rare, special, valuable....what's the word I'm looking for?

I've noticed quite a surge recently in good quaility tie-in novels. Are there any plans to release a series of books based on the exploits of Serenity's crew?

Zoe and Wash were too perfect together.

Perhaps Saffron could join the crew... it gives Inara something to sweat about, an awkward foil for Mal, you can't totally trust her, she could be fun to have around.

I think after the events of Serenity Zoe would be quite traumatised and bitter. After a few episodes in a very dark place (callous, uncaring, self-destructive and possibly suicidal) I can see her being forced back to something more like her old self by...Jayne. Mal wouldn't really know how to snap her out of it (and would probably have a lot of similar issues) but I think Jayne could be the one person to reach her again and form a relationship with her. He's about as anti-Wash as I can imagine which would probably be a bonus in her mind. Not saying it'd last long but I can see it happening.

Saffron joining the crew would be hilariously awkward and it'd be worth it just to see Inara's face and Mal trying to keep the peace.

Simon & Kaylee would assume the Wash/Zoe contented couple role.

Jubal Early would make a reappearance, but this time he'd be after the whole crew as a bounty, as opposed to just River and have his own personal scores to settle.

Blue Sun - these strike me as a private body independant of direct government control and who knows how many illicit and nefarious schemes they have on the go. I could see them being behind lots of plots and remain the over-arching villains of the piece. One episode could involve a troubled defector (sensing his chance after Miranda) trying to get some information to Mal and his crew and being killed for it after giving them just enough breadcrumbs to start to follow.

The Alliance - some heads may roll (and Mal's ship would be blacklisted from a lot of ports, but when did they use them anyway?) but their order of business would be damage limitation so I can't see them doing much directly. One interesting tactic could be to start a smear campaign on the crew, forcing them to deal with various skeletons in their personal closets.

Kaylee - could have arranged marriage waiting for her back home.
Inara's companion status/patronage
Simon Tam offered lucrative position (and guarantees re: River) elsewhere

I can't see then Browncoat movement coming back together again but some old soldiers may have scores to settle with Mal or Zoe for their involvement.

We'd figure out what happened to Early. It would have shown the reavers for the first time. I think the Miranda thing and the origin of the reavers would have been in a later season, if they even used that story for the reaver origin. That's Serenity's weakest part if you ask me, the whole "making better worlds/I intend to misbehave" theme. What's good about Serenity is not the story. I was just excited to see the characters again. If they continued Firefly the reavers should have remained mysterious, the "edge of space" idea is perfect. It would show Inara leaving. Zoe getting pregnant would be interesting. Wash dying during the pregnancy would add drama but he'd my favorite character, so not in my version. If anybody dies, it should be Simon(but not before resolving the romance between him and Kaylee). Then the crew's stuck with River and argue over what to do. Mal would say that he can't leave her completely alone, solidifying her place on the ship. Even better would be if Simon's death was somehow his fault, leaving him with guilt and responsibility. Also Kaylee would resent him. Jayne is a shoot-first guy, but a second season should redeem him more. More stuff with that pretentious criminal from Leverage.

I've been away too long!

There are some great responses in here. I especially like the many reappearances of various sub-characters like Saffron, Niske, Atherton, Badger and Early. They were all good.

I also think Serenity would have to make more of an effort to keep their head down, now that the Alliance will have to work so hard to beat down the spreading stories that they caused the Reavers. Sooner or later, I'd expect that to come to a head, and someone would have to negotiate some kind of agreement to leave Serenity be (probably based on some fresh dirt revealed about an Alliance leader by River).

Zoe is a tough nut to figure out: She's a born warrior and leader; but she's got to be pining for Wash for quite some time. I could see her leaving the crew for a time, especially if some group wanting to press the Reavers story (or fight those beating down the Reavers story) appeared. I could also see her take over a rebuilt Sanctuary, in honor of Shepherd Book. Eventually, I'd expect her to come back... possibly after Serenity helped Sanctuary out of a jam.

I like the idea of new crew, but I'm not sure how much I want one of the established sub-characters to fill that void. Fresh faces are needed... perhaps someone good at finding and negotiating cargo jobs, or maybe an Alliance figure that, like Book, needed to disappear from old Alliance connections (possibly connected to the Serenity-Alliance agreement mentioned above).

And perhaps, to keep the old resistance fires burning, one of the more powerful moons starts to build an independence movement (think Texas post-civil war), and Serenity occasionally gets involved with cargo running (or interference-running) for them.

I always had the feeling that ultimately Mal would restart the whole Browncoat independance thing again but beat the Alliance this time.

I think this storyline could create an arc for 2 or 3 seasons.

The first season would have the team of the firefly searching for allies within the Alliance. Including finding/freeing other subjects like River.

The second season having them driven to the fringes surviving and creating allies with their newfound resources within the alliance.

Season three have these things come together for an organized resistance to the Alliance.

Too bad, so sad we'll never see this.
What a great, creative story extrapolating from the current political arcs on earth.

I didn't think that the Miranda thing would've brought down the Alliance, just as an illegal invasion of Iraq didn't bring down any of our governments.

The future story arc for Firefly?

...after they get kicked out of the meeting with the thug and they're walking back to Serenity, look in the background at the cargo containers.

BlueSun

Really? Using Rodders analogy, isn't Blue Sun just Halliburton?

Maybe there is something more sinister behind Blue Sun; more sinister than just being an archetypical evil Corporation, but to me River was just a prototype weapon system that went wrong. There are probably some more super-soldiers just like her that could lead to a River vs. super-soldier battle.

No doubt that Blue Sun were also behind the Pax and the Miranda Reavers. They are obviously hugely into medical, pharmaceuticals and genetics. There could be other projects under way such as eugenics, gene-specific viruses and other bio-weapons.

That could have developed slowly over time into a major 7 Season plot arc, but Serenity has spoiled all the surprise there would have been in that.

Blow up the continuity?!? You monster you!

No, I'd want it to be post-Serenity. It gives us plenty of new character dynamics (Mal and Inara an item but still finding plenty to argue about, Zoe without the calming force of her husband, lack of Book's insight, level-headed but still dangerous River), and avoids dragging on the same old dynamics (Mal and Inara refusing to give in to their love for each other, Simon avoiding Kaylee, crazy and we-don't-know-she's-dangerous River).

Maybe we could have a few "flashback" episodes or scenes that cover the group prior to Serenity.

Maybe they could introduce a couple of new male characters to round out the crew. Being two men down is a bummer. Also, they would need a pilot to keep River and Mal off the bridge.