Just Read Space Captain Smith by Toby Frost

I've finally got around to reading this and when I finish I am going to have to read the sequels. They are funny as well as being page turning. They are totally original but reminded me of The Stainless Steel Rat.

The Second British Empire is a great idea. I love the tea drinking and the "sounds rather French to me" parts.

I got this aaaages ago. Well, last year. Anyway, I can heartily recommend God Emperor of Didcot (2nd book in the series). Finished it yesterday, will write a review today, I think.

I've ordered both the sequels but still not finished the first book. The recent problems with Chronicles have given me more reading time.

Toby, there are some pensionable jokes in there, but they do say that the very old ones are the best.

Pensionable? Fine vintage, you mean!

I should also add that there is going to be a SCS (and the other two) audio book. I can't give a date for release, but having heard the reader's voice, I can say that it looks promising indeed!

Mr Frost, sir.

Have you ever read the Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraser? And if so, what did you think of them?

I read the first Flashman novel and stopped there, although I do have the second. I realise the covers are fairly similar, but I'm not really setting out with Flashman in mind.

To be honest, I felt that Flashman was a good novel slightly mis-sold. It seems to me to be a historical novel with a disreputable narrator rather than the absurd, bodice-ripping romp that the book jacket suggests it to be (essentially Blackadder's Captain Flasheart in novel form). To my mind it's dated somewhat, and Flashman is perhaps too low to be very sympathetic, even as an anti-hero. That said, as a historical novel, it's fast and entertaining. Just don't expect wall-to-wall japes.

I may read the others some day, but probably when and if I'm finished with Space Captain Smith. Out of interest, I've not read the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, either.
However, Fraser's war memoir, Quartered Safe Out Here, is an excellent book.

I am the proud owner of the first two space captain smith books and i would heartily recomend them to anyone who appreciates a big slab of belly laughter with their tea and crumpets. Both books have made me laugh out loud so much that family members have told me to shut up, and confiscated the book before collapsing in fits of laughter allowing me to reclaim my prize. The books are so funny that i have laughed so heard not only did I nearly wet myself but I also laughed so hard I couldnt breathe and damn near fainted. only Toby Frost and Terry Pratchett have knocked me out with their humour. Good job there was plenty of tea on hand to revive me. I also reccomend Tobys website with his christmas short stories christmas dinner has never been the same since then. I consider him to be a must read author and his books should grace everyone shelves or at least their ebooks. Muat dash its time for tiffin!

No. Book driven by hunger to escape squalor and penury. Me not ruin creative drive, me do Toby favour and get next books from charity shop or landfill.

Back