Just Read Space Captain Smith by Toby Frost

rdenning

I have a strong interest in historical settings as
When I started reading this Sci Fi novel I took a while to get into it. I was expecting a heroic tale of daring do set in a future British Space Empire – a sort of Space 1899 type adventure. And in a way that is what I got. We have a future world where the nations have spread out into space and the UK has carved out its chunk of territory very much like the 19th century expansion of the empire under Victoria.

However whilst that is the type of background world Toby Frost has created the style of this book is a comedy. We Brits have carried with us stiff upper lips, cold showers, traditions and tea. The hero, Captain smith has a crew consisting of a sex mad android pilot and a blood thirsty warrior alien who collects his victims skulls.

The story is actually pretty straight forward – alien race who want to wipe out humanity are after the passenger on Captain Smith’s ship for reasons it is best to read the book to find out.The crew get into a series of adventures before winning the day.

As a story it is nothing that special but the humour is entertaining and the banter between the crew amusing and at times laugh out loud funny. It is a light read and whilst maybe rating say not more than 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5 (in my opinion) I would be up for a sequel.

There are two, 'God Emperor of Didcot,' and, 'Wrath of the Lemming Men.'

I enjoyed them myself and, if I may point out, the author is a member of this forum.

Anyway, he's right about the tea.

(Scots drink far more tea than whisky, it's just easier to write songs about the latter.)

There are two, 'God Emperor of Didcot,' and, 'Wrath of the Lemming Men.'

I enjoyed them myself and, if I may point out, the author is a member of this forum.

Yes already on my buy/ read list. I note he has a kindle version too and I am getting one at Xmas (I hope) so I think these might be early purchases.

I should point out that I DID like the book. I was meaning that the main strength lies not so much in the story BUT the characters and humour.

I would love to know more about the world he has created and I guess that is what sequels are for.:)

I think they are fantastic, hopefully there will be another one in the near future.

They have had a major influence on playing Dark Heresy the 40k roleplaying game, the Imperium of Man has suddenly become the full on British Empire. It's not a crisis if you have time for a cup of tea.

Wise words Null Zone.

Hello! I've just seen this thread (by chance - not that I search my own name or anything..). There are indeed two sequels: God Emperor of Didcot, which is about an alien plot to destroy Britain's supply of tea and hence its morale, and Wrath of the Lemming Men, which is about... well, wrathful lemming men really. Actually I think the plots are (somehow even!) better in both of those, although I would say that.

As for being published outside the UK they're certainly available: I've had comments from America and Australia and they can certainly be ordered via Amazon (reviews always welcome, you know). Thanks for the mention, rdenning!

I'd certainly recommend all three Space Captain Smith books to readers.

(How could I not? These are comic novels that are actually laugh-out-loud funny, which is not always the case with such books.)

Should you read these books in order? Do they stand alone?
I am going to check them out.

Any suggestions for where to begin?

Aren't the 'Squels' a race battled by Captain Proton?

Hmm... I thought they were an obscure nineties indie band, though its possible they might be both of course. Or neither.

Williamlk- If you get your hands on any three of the series you may as well leap in- The Smith series isn't really about labyrinthine Dune-style plotting. That said, going from the first book onwards will probably reward you more.

Thanks for the advice J-Wo.
I sense some Dune tension...*sharpening my krysknife."

Paul looked with suspicion, first at Stilgar and then at the proffered outfit, with its soft grey fur, large boots and long ears.

"Where's my stillsuit?" he asked.

"We need a Thumper," replied the Fremen, "and this is all we've got."

Back