Can anyone recommend books for my kindle?

FionaW

...who should be writing
Not the big names; they're pretty easy to find.

I had hope that the ebook market would enable me to find some new writers, perhaps self-publishing on amazon. However, with the rate of (probably deliberate) mistagging*, it's really hard to search for interesting stuff. I turn up a lot of thinly-disguised religious tracts, a lot of SFF erotica, and some badly written stuff about fairies.

It's really quite depressing.

If anyone has some recommendations, please bat them this way.

*If you doubt me, then search kindle ebooks/biographies and memoirs. Why are sherlock holmes, alice in wonderland and the scarlet letter on the front page?

Not the big names; they're pretty easy to find.

I had hope that the ebook market would enable me to find some new writers, perhaps self-publishing on amazon. However, with the rate of (probably deliberate) mistagging*, it's really hard to search for interesting stuff. I turn up a lot of thinly-disguised religious tracts, a lot of SFF erotica, and some badly written stuff about fairies.

It's really quite depressing.

If anyone has some recommendations, please bat them this way.

*If you doubt me, then search kindle ebooks/biographies and memoirs. Why are sherlock holmes, alice in wonderland and the scarlet letter on the front page?

What types of stories are you interested in?

welllllll... you can find stuff via torrents of course.... technically it's legal, or is it?

welllllll... you can find stuff via torrents of course.... technically it's legal, or is it?

Um - I'm looking for stuff that I pay for, you know, the traditional 'author spends a year of their life writing book and readers pay to read it' kind of thing.

Most of us prefer to be paid for the work we do. Most of us grasp that if someone's work is constantly distributed for free, against their wishes, in the end everybody loses. I don't pirate and I don't steal. If I disagree with an organisation's actions, opinions or product, I neither buy nor steal from them. It used to be called integrity, but I'm starting to wonder if it even exists any more.

Last edited:
What types of stories are you interested in?

Epic fantasy, character driven SFF. I'll try most things except thinly-disguised religious tracts, teen angst, cardboard female characters and anything where erotica takes the place of an actual plot. Not keen on 'let's start with a battle because that's exciting and it always hooks the reader' stuff either.

Fiona,
Feel free to take a look at some of my own novels in the Kindle store, hard to soft SF, presently being re-released after being out a few years (I'm in the process of a rebranding). Hopefully something there will appeal to you.

(Though the first Kestral book, ironically enough, starts out with... a battle! But it's a short prologue, and after that, no more battles... I promise!)