3.09: Love in the Time of Dragons

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
When an old flame of Gaius's arrives in Camelot, Merlin is pleased to see a different side to his curmudgeonly mentor. But after discovering she is under the influence of a Manticore, a creature from the Old Religion, Merlin has no choice but to tell his old friend of Alice's evil intentions.

Blinded by love, the old physician refuses to believe Merlin's story, and the two friends fall out. With the King in danger and all signs pointing to Alice and her evil pet, Merlin must somehow make Gaius come to his senses before it is too late.
I know you are still watching this. On the face of it, I was expecting another poor episode - love interest of the week combined with evil magician of the week (but somehow someone Gaius has never mentioned before) and mythical creature of the week.

Actually, I thought the back-story for Gaius really added something - he helped magicians escape from Uther and he IS a good magician himself. Up to now he had seemed like a bit of an amateur and it wasn't explicitly said that there had been a kind of 'underground railroad' (in general, we have only seen evil magicians from the days of the 'Old magic'.). I can see this all leading up to something at the end of the Season which might be close to what I was waiting for.

Yes, this episode was actually alright. Like you Dave, I was expecting it to be so-so and just the usual evil wizard of the week but it was nice to hear about the underground movement of those who practiced magic at the time it was banned.

Not seen it yet! I might watch it in a mo on the iPlayer. I'm glad you guys are saying it's ok, I thought it looked a bit daft.

I have to agree. After last weeks excellent showing the preview for this week made me think we were going to have another 'filler' so I was rather surprised to get to the end and realise that I had rather enjoyed it.

I'm sure back near the start of the series, the very beginning, there was mention of Gaius being a powerful sorcerer who gave it all up top follow Uther, but this is the first time we have really seen it. There are hints that Uther knows this, like how when Morgana was saved after her fall the king seemed to believe that Gaius had something to do with it...

I really didn't like Arthur in this episode. I know that the stuff between him and Merlin is supposed to be comic, but it kinda just comes across as bullying... And I know Arthur is the Prince and Merlin his servant, but still! Annoys me.

Back