Metropolis (1927) - New restored version

merritt

olaf capek
Metropolis is playing sunday nite on TCM.:)

Original score, added scenes:D

I have never seen it. Should be awesome.

Love the restorations of the old movies.

If this is the new version I'm thinking of, I saw it at the Tyneside Cinema a few months back and loved it. Whether it's any better than the original...not sure. But it's good.:)

I ought to look up the information on what TCM is showing to be sure... but there are several "restored" versions of this film out there; most of which used stills for missing footage. However, there is one which was released recently which is, iirc, the original, uncut version of this film, taken from a combination of film elements including the only full version known to exist at this point... a copy which surfaced only a few years ago, and which only exists due to a film exhibitor (again, iirc) refusing to obey a court order that all copies of the film be turned over to the then-holder of copyright.

If that is the version being shown, then I wish to blazes I had TCM at this point; but even if so, it is available for purchase, which I plan on doing in the very near future anyway, as this is one of my favorite films of all time. at any rate, whichever version this is, I hope you enjoy it -- the film is a real treat, even with its wonkier, dated aspects....

I've got my copy on pre-order (release 22nd November in the UK):)

It's playing again tomorrow (11-7) on TCM. I have my DVR set. Still don't know which version it is, but I'm sure Robert Osborne will enlighten me.

Okay, the TCM showing seems to be the KINO version. Produced by Murnau. Music by Huppertz. Shown in HD. Nice clear B&W images (except for the restored footage). But the overall clarity is still short of what Blu-Ray would be able to take advantage of. Not sure of the resolution of the TCM source, though.

However, I must say that the restored footage adds a great deal to the continuity of the film.

Being a fan of the movie since I first saw it in the seventies (thoroughly sliced and diced, but still amazing even then), I have enjoyed every improved iteration of the movie that has been introduced.

Even the latest Murnau version isn't quite complete... though about the only significant scene I can identify as missing is the moment when Joh Frederson sneaks into Rotwang's home, realizes Rotwang is holding Maria and using the robot to betray him, and attacks him. (The movie shows a brief segment of this scene, with the combatants projected in shadow on the wall as Maria escapes, and after Frederson has knocked out Rotwang and leaves.)

Still, with the footage they've managed to recover, the movie is at last close enough to intact to demonstrate to audiences the quality of the story, which was the first thing to be sacrificed when the movie was edited in 1927. It's a joy to behold.

I now have the 2010 Kino version, though I plan to keep the earlier 2002 DVD as well, for its notes on the restoration process that are not included on the 2010 set. The 2010 set's extras include a documentary on the discovery of the Buenos Aires material, and the effort to get it into the hands of the Germans who assumed the Argentinians didn't know what they had!