Pillars of the Earth. (CH4)

sloweye

Lord Shaman.
Copy and paste this into your browser, This say's
I couldn't see a thread for this anywhere so i thought i'd start one.

What did people think of the first part?

I for one thought it was very well done, i was gutted when it finished as i could have watched the whole thing there and then. I will be honest and say i never finished the book as the libaray asked for it back befroe i got the chance. seems to be fairly true to the 1/3 of the book i got through.

I just wondered what others thought.:rolleyes:

Not having read the book I'm hesitant to pass judgement, but the Church did come over as almost impossibly malign (and efficient). Plus my understanding of this period is that the nobility in general refused to accept Maud, apart from those who saw profit in either regime change or a general period of instability.

Having said that I enjoyed it enormously!

I watched the entire series. It was interesting, but this is not the kind you want to watch it again. I cannot blame the cast. It was more of the darkness of some of the main characters.

I actually enjoyed it more than I thought i would. I didn't realise they would be showing it in the UK and I'd previously looked the story line.

I dislike (to the point of turning the channel over) rape scenes so since I knew it was coming I was able to miss it. Will definitely be watching the rest of the series

I suppose it will eventually be shown in Australia! One of my favourite books, so I do hope they haven't left too much out in the filming.

Well it was shown in the US first of all so I guess there's a good chance it might makei t across to Aus :)

Especially as I understand the book is very popular

I thought it was going OK until the girl got raped. Why why why would the girl grab a dagger and a sword and not plunge them through the guy's evil heart. Not to mention that she was found in the first place playing with her brother with no one on watch for the baddies coming back. It was pretty clear what they were after when she escaped the first time so why they wouldn't get away as soon as the coast was clear was beyond me. Especially as it seems getting to the king's gaff was so easy after her misfortune.

However, I thought McShane though I did miss the peaches.

On the whole though, I'll watch the rest - It's 20 times better than Merlin,.

Thanks purple_kathryn and sloweye :)

It's been one of the best selling books for years over here.

I guess I will just have to be patient as usual, until they decide to let us Colonists get to see it :D