Peter V. Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clansman
And sorry that Jordan's death was so inconvenient.:rolleyes:

Thats kind of a rude remark. As if mentioning Jordan's death as a loss of a great author makes me a heartless *******.
Ah yes, but you did not register the ":rolleyes:" it wasn't rude it was a sarcastic remark. And now I quote you earlier comment
Considering this is a forum for reading, you should pay more attention when reading my his post

I think I deserve to say Bazinga! ;)

If I say "I'm soo glad you took the time to comment and let us know what you think about something that has nothing to do with you. :rolleyes: "

It would be a comment that's both sarcastic and rude. Just because a comment is sarcastic doesn't mean it's automatically disqualified from being rude as well. In fact, most sarcastic comments are rude to some degree.

Clansman probably read my comment wrong. There are many people who bash Jordan for dying before he finished his series. I'm not one of them, it's not like Jordan wanted to get sick and die, but he responded as if I was, which was kind of rude.

Either way I'll let you guys continue your discussion without me.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, lets hold our horses and talk about the author in this thread. Let's not bash each other. Unfortunately Jordan has passed away and nothing can be done about it but at least Brandon Sanderson is, I assume, doing a good job finishing off the series. I read the first 2 books in the Malazan series but it was too serious for me and I wasn't really interested in it anymore, might pick it up in a few years time. Caledor - have you read Joe Abercrombies First Law Trilogy and Brent Weeks's Night Angel trilogy? Both series are brilliant (I have to still read the 3rd book in each), Abercrombie is compared to GRRM as being dark, gritty and witty, Weeks is more a mix of Gemmell and over the top action movies IMHO, all I can say is you won't be dissappointed with these two. :D

As biodroid says, let's have more discussion of the writer and his books and less personal remarks aimed at other posters, please.

I've been tempted to read Brett's books on more than one occasion, and somehow never did. But if rape is a frequent plot device, I'm guessing I'll have no difficulty continuing to resist that temptation for the future.

Rape isn't the main part of the character develpoment, it happens I think 3 times in the first book. Maybe twice in the second one.
I personaly loved Brent Weeks series, and am currently reading Abercrombie's Before they were hanged. I have never heard GRRM and Joe A were alike. Seems I have another big series of books to devour.

And sorry about jumping in where I wasn't needed. I was just feeling nit picky. My humblest apologies Caledor.

My humble apologies, and that is not a sarcastic remark. Caledor, you are right that I misread your remark, as posts critical of Jordan for dying have been all too common. Occasionally, I am rude and will "cross the line", so please accept my apology. I deserved a comeuppance from you.

Menion, rape happens a whole lot more in the second book. In Krasia, it is bloody well institutionalized (at least the male rape), and there is even one character who rapes the character who raped him. Brett is waaaay to free with this device, and has been soundly criticized by a number of reviewers, including yours truly.

Brett is probably the best thing to happen to fantasy in the last 2 years.

I like Brett, and thoroughly enjoyed the first two books. There is too much rape but I've read worse. Between Brett and Weeks, have to say I like Brett more. The Painted Man once started was difficult to put down, kept me awake half the night. The Desert Spear well still enjoyable I was slightly put off by the Christian v Islam feel to it.

I like Brett, and thoroughly enjoyed the first two books. There is too much rape but I've read worse. Between Brett and Weeks, have to say I like Brett more. The Painted Man once started was difficult to put down, kept me awake half the night. The Desert Spear well still enjoyable I was slightly put off by the Christian v Islam feel to it.

That bothered me too, because it was more of a plot device instead of being explored as a theme. Such a huge element of our own world should not be so cavalierly treated. He could have made the book truly important if he had dived into those issues, but he didn't, electing to merely entertain.

I should be getting his Brayan's Gold book soon (ordered it about two weeks ago). Can't wait to read it, I also tried to find his The Great Bazaar but nowhere had it at less then 300 pounds/euros. :O

Definitely not worth it. It is made up of the stuff that got cut from the book, in an effort to make money from uber-fans.

Cool. I'm going to sell mine!:) I could use that cash.

Just recieved my signed bookplate! and a day before my birthday, yupiii.

Heres what they look like...
Peter%2BV%2BBrett%2Bsigned%2Bbookplate.jpg

I liked this series, but didn't like the way rape was used. In book two, Jadir? He was raped by some guy and then they became friends or something? Hadir?

Seemed strange. It appeared to me maybe unintentionally there was the message.

Women are effected by rape.
Men are not.