Peter V. Brett

I think the forum rules are for the post about the author to have 5 concurrent threads before he gets his own sub-forum. But I do agree, I have read his first book The Painted Man and it was great.

I've read three Peter Brett books, The Warded/Painted Man, The Desert Spear, and The Great Bazaar. These are the only three he has published. Perhaps once he gets a full series under his belt, a sub-forum would be justified. Hopefully the third book is better than the second, which I found disappointing after the first.

I found that Brett missed a huge opportunity to move the story from plain adventure fare to something bigger and better, given the Christian v. Islam parallels that are so obvious, but left totally un-explored. I expected a lot more from The Desert Spear, but it only advanced the story plot-wise, and did nothing to expand on any themes. As an adventure story it was fine (3.5 stars).

Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you I just thought the mods wouldn't like bumping up threads. I may be wrong so I don't think you need to panic. The Mods are very reasonable and forgiving :)D). What would you like to talk about? I have read The Painted Man and loved it, I am waiting for the Desert Spear to come out in paperback so I can buy that too and add it to my collection. I found Mr Brett to be quite a tension builder. His characters are pretty well developed (as far as my limited knowledge of literature is, and I got a C for English in school). I found the premise of the demons etc. to be unique and the problem with living behind wards at night to be really interesting, I just wanted to see how they overcome the solitude at night.

I would love to find out more about the history of the world, Thir first daylight war, the origins of the Corelings.
Also it doesn't really go into detail about the different lands, apart from..I forgot :p the land where Jadir came from, in Desert spear.
And why does PvB use rape as his main theme to change characters? sounds like a disturbed mind to me...
Still love him though ;)

I would think rape can change you, it's an extremely traumatic thing to happen to a woman. Don't want to wish that on anyone. But sometimes disturbed gets you fans, SK IMO opinion is quite disturbed in his stories but I am sure he is not a disturbed man himself (or is he ;)) Hasn't PvB only written about 2 or 3 books? Maybe he will expand his world if he stays in it and write prequels. I was under the impression that the corelings were once teamed up with the humans but something happened and they turned to what they are in the book. I stand corrected, I read it a while back so not clear on that.

I would think rape can change you, it's an extremely traumatic thing to happen to a woman. Don't want to wish that on anyone.
I remember in one of Gemmell's books it was a man(or rather a boy when it happened) who got raped, that is somthing that is rarely seen.

He has a total of 4 going on 5 at the end of this year, but 2 of them are short.

I was under the impression that the corelings were once teamed up with the humans but something happened and they turned to what they are in the book. I stand corrected, I read it a while back so not clear on that.
I never got that impression. I don't actually have a thought on how the corlings came...

Brett has used rape way too much, in both novels, but especially the second one, where institutionalized male rape was rampant. As a character development tool, it is as blunt as a sledge hammer. He needs to develop some new mechanisms to make his characters grow.

The desert land is Krasia.

If it wasnt for Peter Brett, Brandon Sanderson, Steven Erikson, and Patrick Rothfuss I probably would have given up on the Fantasy genre in the past couple years. Especially considering how long Ive been waiting for George R.R. Martin's next book and the death of Robert Jordan.

If it wasnt for Peter Brett, Brandon Sanderson, Steven Erikson, and Patrick Rothfuss I probably would have given up on the Fantasy genre in the past couple years. Especially considering how long Ive been waiting for George R.R. Martin's next book and the death of Robert Jordan.

July 12, 2011. That's how long you have to wait. And sorry that Jordan's death was so inconvenient.:rolleyes: Like they were the only decent writers in the genre for the last 20 years...Ray Feist, Janny Wurts, Tad Williams, Guy Gavriel Kay, among others, not to mention the classics (Tolkien, Dunsany, etc.).

I don't think that Brett has the chops to join Sanderson or Erikson yet, and Rothfuss, who definitely has the chops, only has two books, so let's see what else he can do. But Brett is definitely not a writer of the calibre of Sanderson or Erikson, or even Rothfuss. Maybe he'll get better, but he really is only middling. Great imagination though, and an intriguing story, but it could have been written a whole lot better.

July 12, 2011. That's how long you have to wait.

Ive seen that, but its still been a long 6 year wait.

And sorry that Jordan's death was so inconvenient.:rolleyes:

Thats kind of a rude remark. As if mentioning Jordan's death as a loss of a great author makes me a heartless *******.

Like they were the only decent writers in the genre for the last 20 years...Ray Feist, Janny Wurts, Tad Williams, Guy Gavriel Kay, among others, not to mention the classics (Tolkien, Dunsany, etc.).

All of which I've read. Considering this is a forum for reading, you should pay more attention when reading my post where I said "in the past couple years". Anyways, I never got that into Janny Wurts or Tad Williams, and I enjoyed the Magician series but I havent liked much of Raymond Feist's recent stuff. Guy Gavriel I really liked Tigana, and I plan on reading his latest book, but I dont really consider him mainstream fantasy for some reason.

I don't think that Brett has the chops to join Sanderson or Erikson yet, and Rothfuss, who definitely has the chops, only has two books, so let's see what else he can do. But Brett is definitely not a writer of the calibre of Sanderson or Erikson, or even Rothfuss. Maybe he'll get better, but he really is only middling. Great imagination though, and an intriguing story, but it could have been written a whole lot better.

I have to agree that he's not on the same level as them, but his book also is above a lot of the crap that I keep reading over and over again. I was limiting it to books that I really enjoyed reading in the past 2 years or so and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really enjoyed his first two books. I think I read an interview somewhere where he said that he wrote a lot of the book on his phone while taking the subway.