dan simmons - the terror

radu123

charming date rapist
anyone else read this gem?

a truly spellbinding book, until the last 100 pages or so, where it turns from magic to cheap parlour trick

firstly, the explanation of the monster itself. considering the mystique and menace simmons created around it, i knew that there would be no truly satisfying ending. whether it was the last remant of an alien race, an incarnation of the devil himself, or some sort of manifestation of the brutality in man, there would be no way he could really deliver on the hype the monster generated for the majority of the novel. that's ok, i knew from early on in the novel that would be the case, and made my peace with it. BUT COME ON, that mythology approach was rubbish

in fact, i hated the whole mythology section. it totally went against the tone of the former 90% of the book, and crozier's decision was completey at odds with his characterisation. would that tough-as-nails, balls-of-steel irish *******, whose blue flame burned ever brighter in his chest, really abandon his mission and just accept the arctic version of a hippie lifestyle?! no way, he was way too stubborn and duty bound

finally, what was the deal with the terror being 'haunted'? whose corpse was that, and was it undergoing some sort of transformation?

peace y'all

Hi,

I agree with you entirely, the last hundred pages or so realy wern't very good. For this reason I haven't been able to reccomend it to anyone, which is a shame realy, I'm pretty sure that if I did it would be thrown back at my head - "Great book **** ending, thanks for wasting my time" they would say :)

I'm not sure what you mean by the haunting, care to elaborate ?

well the esquimax explicitly state that they felt the ship was haunted

crozier also discovers a corpse that seems to be undergoing some unnatural changes (i know hair keeps growing after death, but the gigantic teeth were obviously out of place), and he even imagines it rising and coming after him as he's setting fire to the boat

Oh right, I see what you mean. I just assumed that the boat felt haunted, not that it actually was. I also assumed that teeth look very large when gums have receded - a symptom of Scurvy.

well, i might be wrong

there's a first time for everything

I'm reading his novel Summer of Night right now and so far it is amazing, ranks very high on my list of favorites.

I enjoyed it but would have preferred two seperate books.

One of supernatural horror.
The other of a lost Artic expedition trying to survive.

The two together just really didn't work as well as it could.

well, i might be wrong

there's a first time for everything

I was Just looking through my old posts and came upon this, found myself wishing that I had the same confidence and flare that this guy does. Hope you are well radu123!