fan of Fitz

lytle

I have just finished reading tawny man series and am a big fan of fitz,i want to see him recognized as important man in kingdom,not living in obscurity,can we have another series where he gets the recognition he deserves?

I agree, it would have been nice for Fitz to come out of the shadows as Chade did.

But then I'm not sure that's what Fitz really wants .... he's content with a quiet life.

I miss Fitz and the Fool, I want more! His parting from the Fool was very disappointing ... there has to be a reunion! :)

I think that Hobb's whole point of it was to be a tragic tale. There wasnt much to cheer for in the books. It tells a story of a boy who becomes a man and lost love, lost loved ones, and how through all the pain and years the character is still "content" at the end.

I think Hobb wanted people to be affected by the storeis and the ending especially. I know I just kind of sat in a daze when I was done and it took a while to snap out of it.

All in all, even if Fitz is never visited again, I loved the books and always will.

One think I liked about Fitz what that he made mistakes - some really big ones and do date its one of the few series where you feel like beating the hero over the head because he's making a choice that you can see is just going to turn sour. I think that is part of what makes him so real - he has fears, doubts and vanity as well as the ability to make and work with his mistakes - though like many real people he also tries to hide from them as well.

I think that Fitz works well in this role and its not an easy role to tell as story about - even Hobb has not found it easy to tell a second time (Soldier Son series) and preserve that balance of leading hero and faulted real person.

I do also agree whilst I think that we have a lot more to see from Hobbs world I get the feeling that she could just as easily leave Fitz and shift to other characters - though I would be surprised if we don't see him cast some small or major role later on (though we might have to look hard to spot it if he uses the skill or works in the shades to achieve it)

Hi all. I make heaps of RotE-related posts on the 'thePlenty' site but this is my first time here.I think I am more than a little obsessed with Fitz so have to agree that I'd like to see him receive some recognition.I can't remember which book it was (Fool's Fate?) but I know that Fool said something about the role of the catalyst was to not only create change but to also open the way for others to be heroes. In this, Fool was alluding to the fact that Fitz, forever 'Changer' and the catalyst, would never truly be recognised by all for his deeds. Fitz himself was also content in knowing that "those important to me know".Um, I have heaps more to add but need to include the RW Chronicle books, so will have to check the site for info on spoilers etc, or do you all just assume if you are here that you've all read the books? I can't even seem to make paragraphs work...if this ends up as one big paragraph, am I missing a trick?

Glad to have you on board Farseer! I occasionally have trouble with paragraphs, but I usually can fix it by editing my post after posting it.

I'll leave your spoiler question to someone more knowledgeable than me.

But back to the theme at hand, I think that it was the perfect ending for Fitz. Finally, after terrible suffering and death and struggle he got what he wanted and deserved. I think recognition would have meant responsibility, which he had had enough of.

Hi, this is my first post on this forum and the farseer series is the first fanticy series (apart from Harry Potter) that I've ever read.

Normallly I like thrillers like robbert ludlum and so on, and was amazed at how much I enjoyed this series. Are their any other series like this? Ones with a cool universe, realistic and interesting people, lots of tention and humor?

I tried the old standbys (the lored of the rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, ect) but found these lacking in cool characters I could really relate to.

To be honest, it was the relationships between the characters and the witty banter they exchanged that really captervated me, just as much as the battles and fighting.

Coming from Jason Bourne and Jack Reacher, I still like books with lots of action, but the comic side is just as important.

Any recommendations of books like this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ps: Nighteyes rules.

Woops, just noticed the "Books Similar to Farseer/Tawny Man Series?" thread on this forum. However that person seemed to be looking for the cloke and dagger aspect of fanticy. I enjoyed that aspect as well.
The vince flynn novels have alot of that kind of thing. They are not fanticy (far from it) but I enjoyed them and their is no sense in restricting yourself to one genre.

D Neale I think you'd really like The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - which has brilliant characters, is hilarious, and has terrific dialogue; and The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, book one of one of my favourite series (even though it's unfinished).

Lets be fair, Fitz name may not be entirely restored but at the end he was no longer living a life of obscurity either.He was freely living the life of Tom Badgerlock whilst his name of Fitzchivalry farseer went (probably) from being universally evil to ambiguity in the minds of people, not knowing what to think.

I mean;

1) Nettle is clearly recognised as a Farseer.
2) He holds (trough Nettle and Molly) Withywoods.
3) He is know for being a man of unsaid importance to the queen and later king. (what with the fox pin)
4) King Dutiful, his wife and son visit Withywoods from time to time.
5) he is summoned often to court.
6) he visits Lady patience.
7) He has a connection to lady patience that all can see.
8) Longwick, Web, the witted coterie, ... knows, anyone of them could slip up.
9) Fitz dressed up like looking like a farseer when visiting Molly, i'm sure he did so afterwards from time to time as well.
10) The witted coterie is accepted they speak well of Fitz.
11) the queen has never said a bad word about Fitz and disputed the kingkilling.

I think one of the key elements of Fitz as a character is the yearning within the reader for the unsaid to be spoken, and for him to be recognised. It is agnonising at times to read Molly's feelings towards him being perverted, or of Burrich and Chade thinking him dead.
Or you have his service to the crown, his bond with Nighteyes, his loyalty to Verity.

It's a fantastic piece of writing that Hobb has achieved, in getting readers always wanting just that little bit more for their character. I certainly hope we've not heard or read the last of Fitz, as far as I remember he and Molly are enjoying their new love for one another at Withywoods. Perhaps the crown will call on him again.

The fool, I feel, will pop in in RoTE books time and time again - he's the living link to the Elderlings and a lynchpin of several key plot themes.