How much do you love this series??

Hoarnet

I'm amazed at how much i've come to enjoy the Malazan series.
Its been a hell of a journey over the last 8 months since i started this series but having just ordered Dust of Dreams online i found myself (as i often do), thinking about this world Erikson as created.

Like alot of people i struggled my way through the first half of GotM, almost throwing in the towel at several points but sticking with it.
DHG throws you into a whole new story that i personally found alittle slow in places but with a brilliant ending.
MoI is 1 of my all time favourites books! its just so well written!
HoC seemed slower again, but i think i was just missing the story arc of Memories, Altho it did introduce who would grow into one of my fav characters :)
MT is where he really hooked me i think, when the world suddenly expanded so drastically, and i was forced to learn about a whole new story arc. I was impressed with the scope of this series.
Through tBH and RG i was in thrilled with the way all 3 arcs came together in such a climatic point and was in awe of the scope of this world.
TtH was another great read altho not as engaging as the previous few.
I now eagerly await DoD and am hoping its up to the challenge.

Just thought i'd share some thoughts on this series that has managed to capture me and whereever we end up i've sure enjoyed the trip haha:D

Hoarnet.

Welcome, always nice to meet another Erikson fan. I never struggled with GOTM from Paran's first meeing as a boy with Whiskyjack, Fiddler and Surly, I was hooked. DHG took it up a notch, MOI blew everything else out the water. HOC I wasn't too struck with the first read but the second read was better. Erikson can have take me through the full specrum of emotions in a couple pages. I can't wait for January and the release of the Crippled God.

I found HoC to be one of the most well-written, as the story was much tighter and more linear. I loved the prologue part with Karsa Orlong, and the development of that character throughout the book is a wonderful journey. Admittedly, I had the foundation of GotM, DHG and MoI (especially DHG) to rely on, but I found that I finally comprehended an entire Erikson book from beginning to end. I have started MT, but then took a break, as I am not gripped by the story yet. I read Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God (great stuff, and I recommend it to any Erikson or Martin fan, as an example of how epic fantasy does not have to be epic in length to be good. Very, very tight story, and a real page turner) and now Kay's Under Heaven, but will return to MT shortly.

After being recommended Erikson by other forum members, I've now read two chapters of GOTM and have to say I'm already hooked. In the foreword, Erikson mentions that people know if they are going to stick with the series or abandon it about a third of the way through the first book, but I think I've made my decision already, barring something mental occurring. The writing is absolute quality and I am really enjoying getting to know the few characters in the early chapters, though I understand there's many more to come! I haven't found it a struggle at all so far, more like a joy!

I was of the same opinion, Oxman, at the same point you are. GOTM is still my favourite of the three that I've read (which seems to be the opposite of most people's experience). I'm now pretty convinced I won't go any further with the series, after MOI, so in my case Erikson's assumption didn't hold.

In the foreword, Erikson mentions that people know if they are going to stick with the series or abandon it about a third of the way through the first book, but I think I've made my decision already, barring something mental occurring. The writing is absolute quality and I am really enjoying getting to know the few characters in the early chapters, though I understand there's many more to come! I haven't found it a struggle at all so far, more like a joy!

I've also recently read GotM and I thought it was great!

Just received a notice from the local Post Office that my Amazon order for books 2, 3, 4 and 5 has arrived. Very exciting and I am really looking forward to starting!

With my erratic book selection system, it's a long time since I started reading the Erikson novels, and I'm still slowly making my way through them still. I have to say that the last two books or so I have not really enjoyed, both MT and BH were a struggle, and although I enjoyed moments, as a whole the books left me cold, and I took ages to drag my way through them.

When the time came for the next in the line, Reaper's Gale, it was a bit of a "Oh no, here we go," moment. In fact I almost put of reading it, but I remembered how much I had loved the earlier books and threw myself into it.

I absolutely love it, and by my current slow standards am flying through it. It's made me laugh, it's wowed me, it's made me cry (Beak's character arc anyone?) and this entire novel is everything I loved about the earlier books, and reminds me just why I loved the series in the first place.

I don't know what I found wrong with the previous two novels (I have a few suspicions but they are nothing to do with the books themselves) but suddenly my interest is fully revived and I'm looking forward to the next one. (Well except the loooong chapters)

Whenever that might be.

I started the series about a month ago and since have read the series about...a lot.

They are great. One of the best out there. I usually don't pick THE BEST but the re-readability in Malazan is Huge.

Many characters to chose from and there's always electricity when characters interact.

And most important, anything can happen at any time. You just have to turn the page.

Well, I've just finished GOTM and while I don't harbour the same initial enthusiasm that I did a few chapters in, I still maintain that the book is very well written and an exciting, in-depth read. Having already purchased Deadhouse Gates, I will definitely carry on with the series.

General comments on GOTM are that there is a LOT of sorcery involved. More than I'm used to and more than I expected. It took a lot of getting used to after the more "real world" feel of say, GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire (I know there's magic in that, but it's a lot more subtle compared to the blatant transformation of a Tiste Andii into a giant dragon!). Also there are an abundance of characters in the book, which is a good thing, though around the introduction of Kruppe and Crone I did put the book down for a week or so, fearing I might lose interest. After these characters first showed up though and I returned to GOTM, I was back on track and didn't put the book down again, save for the occasional break during treatment.

After DHG, I will see if it still holds my interest, as Erikson predicted, or if my enthusiasm wanes like Harebrain's did.

Although I had terrible trouble getting into his first book and was naturally encouraged by just about all the Erikson fans here, I re-read it. I eventually came to understand . and then enjoy the book and all those that followed :)

Now I can't wait for the release of The Crippled God!