Odo and His Life...I'm Sad (spoiler inside)

Protectobot

I was really diggin' DS9, but I'm very disappointed with the storyline, regarding Odo's future. I could think of ways to make his fate realistic (if there's such a thing, with sci-fi!) without making it cheesy. I skimmed through the final ep of the show, and maybe what happened to him was the whole point of his character, but it just gets on my nerves. Having him retire isn't the problem for me, either.

I was just wondering if there's a hint that his future isn't set in stone the way it seemed...if anyone knows?

There are post series novels that make certain not to leave unknown sample out of the loop.

ST DS9 Avatar Book 1
the Jem’Hadar tells his story to Kira Nerys: Odo sent him to learn the ways of the Alpha Quadrant races. Kira is suspicious but finds herself wanting to believe his story.
ST DS9 Avatar Book 2
Beside the Great Link, Odo ponders his current life with his fellow changelings until he is interrupted by the Great Link’s frequent messenger to him, Laas. The Link is in turmoil, and fears the Federation will strike at the Dominion soon in retribution for the war.

I haven't read these books yet, but apparently Odo still lives as an individual at least part of the time.

There are post series novels that make certain not to leave unknown sample out of the loop.
I haven't read these books yet, but apparently Odo still lives as an individual at least part of the time.

THANKS! I had trouble discovering which books were supposed to continue off of the t.v. show, and which were prequels (some of S.D. Perry's books, e.g.). (Btw: it looks like I don't have enough posts to be allowed to have links in my reply messages: even if they're not originally links I posted lol :p)

It looks like the DS9 book 'The Dominion: Olympus Descending' MIGHT hold the key to everything. I haven't yet found a book that might follow up to it, so I'll try to check it out, but I DOUBT it's considered actual canon, even though it's licensed material, right?!?! :O IF that matters to anyone lol. It sounds AWESOME, from what I've skimmed online about it...

Don't worry too much about the links. You're almost there. Yeah, I don't think the novels are actual canon, but since there doesn't seem to be any chance that we will ever get a DS9 movie, they might be the best we can hope for. It's too bad too, because I think DS9 was the best Star Trek.

Don't worry too much about the links. You're almost there. Yeah, I don't think the novels are actual canon, but since there doesn't seem to be any chance that we will ever get a DS9 movie, they might be the best we can hope for. It's too bad too, because I think DS9 was the best Star Trek.

Hi again, my friend :D Btw: it looks like I forgot to mention that some of the star trek books are about 90%-available online. The authors/publishers gave permission for this, and they're hoping we'll buy them for the endings, I guess. I REALLY want to know what happens to Odo, by the end of the Olympus book, as the next book in the series is all about Kira and Odo isn't mentioned. I JUST want to hear the old, familiar situation: 'character A goes on with his/her life, and stays in contact with friends/loved ones, but now it's time to explore further the lives of charactes B, C, etc. If a character's life has been explored to a satisfying degree, by ALL MEANS, avoid stale writing and move on to someone else :)

A character does NOT have to be killed off permanently, or live a miserable life, to avoid a cheesy conclusion to her/his life story. Just let them LIVE OUT the rest of their years, I say: retired, or continuing their work! I'm not looking for the perfect, sugar-coated ending lol >:p