Jen wants to paint fantastical things!

Thank you peeps! :D <3

Indeedy! I've been twice and had tables both times. Couldn't make it this time, but my friend was there selling his comics... Not sure if you'd have seen him Jen. Wayne Hughes is his name and his comic's called 'Sabre.' :) He would've been sharing a table with a guy who does some sort of panda comic (possibly)... that I can't remember the name of.

edit: it's called Pwanda, and the artist is Huy Truong. Not sure if he was there, but Wayne definitely was!

Awesome pictures too, by the way.

I wanted to go around more tables, but I only had one day to really do the entire convention since the Saturday was me chained to my own table. And even on the day when I was walking around I was selling stuff out of my portfolio and chatting with other people about publishing plans. So... I missed a lot of stuff and a lot of people at the con :(

Toby Frost - Can't go to the MCM I'm afraid. I'm going to the ComicLaunchPad in Brum in June, so I can't really afford to go to too many cons. Traintickets and entry-fees and all that. :(

Train tickets is a new thread altogether. This one is supposed to be fun :(

Oh no! Quick! Chuck in some art!

Graphic novel page in progress:
ba_page4.jpg

Tattoo design and t-shirt design:
yinyang_koi.jpg

X-men's Storm, fantasy-style-ish.
Storm.jpg

My first experience of Marvel:
first_experience_of_marvel.jpg

Jen, That was a marvel of a Marvel!!

Funny, but I doubt it was fun to live through.

Jen, That was a marvel of a Marvel!!

Funny, but I doubt it was fun to live through.

Yeah, that's one of the many reasons I've been busy. Trying to get the foot in the door in comics is not easy. Especially when stuff like that happens :p

Look at the letters "s" and "c" too.

I think the effect is fabulous, but it worries me to think that a vintage book may have been destroyed in the process.

Look at the letters "s" and "c" too.

I think the effect is fabulous, but it worries me to think that a vintage book may have been destroyed in the process.

That is indeed from an old victorian book.
I did work at a family owned traditional bindery here in Bath called George Bayntun (http://www.georgebayntun.com/ ). In the workshop at the back I had a habit of going through their bins (I'm not weird, I promise!). Sometimes they throw away pages of books and other parts that are just not salvageable. That was one of them.

So in a way I was.. errr. upcycling their rubbish :p

This puts my mind at rest, then. (Although I would have thought a bit earlier than Victorian.)

It might be actually. I'm not entirely sure about the time period. But my foreign eyes tell me it's old English by the spelling. There is also quite unacceptable language in the writing for today's standards. The book was on traveling and foreign cultures. So a lot of what's written down would be seen as kind of racist today (I had to cut out a few words before attaching the paper to that Storm painting :/).

Hilarious Joke - Thank you! :D

Well, it's a great effect. It adds another dimension to the art (as I am sure you intended). What made you think of doing it that way on that particular picture?

Well, it's a great effect. It adds another dimension to the art (as I am sure you intended). What made you think of doing it that way on that particular picture?

Well, the text itself has some references to magic spells, mystery, battles and death. So I thought it would be nice to kind of literally 'spell out' the spell she's casting. It's not a nice healing spell.
Does that makes sense? I'm a bit rubbish at explaining my thought-processes sometimes :D

I want to use the remaining bits of the binned books to create a sort of genie of the book-world. So it's going to be an old, frail looking man who's beard and hair is literally made of page cutouts. Want to collage a lot more than I do, but I mainly work on commissions, and it is rare to get a commission for a collage-artwork.

It does make sense, and I think you explained your thought process, on this one at least, very well.

I love the idea of the genie with the text for hair.

I'm attempting to break into the fantasy-book cover industry at the moment.

Here's a progress pic of one design:

JennieGyllblad_cover_3.jpg

Bloody hell. I tell you what, if I ever write a fantasy book and get it published, I will request your services. But you shouldn't hold your breath ;) Best of luck with it!

Back