Do you still like the series?

DHG and MoI do occur simultaneously, and the characters in GotM that carry over are split pretty evenly between the two books, so you should be fine to read them in that order. I can't remember anything in MoI requiring events in DHG, but it's been a while since I read them, so maybe someone who has more recently gone through them can let you know for sure.

Mind if I ask your reasons for wanting to go straight to MoI?

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, DHG does introduce a lot of important ideas, and there's one event in particular, concerning the deities, that is possibly best to know about before reading MoI. I can't say for sure, though, as I might be remembering explanations and reveals from later books about events in MoI and DHG.

EDIT2: That said, it's not as if anyone knows what's going on until about the fourth or fifth book anyway, and there's a lot that isn't picked up until you've re-read things multiple times, so it might not matter at all. By reading MoI before DHG, one might experience a whole new way of looking at particular events. It could be quite interesting, really.

EDIT3: OK, sorry, I'm waffling. Reading them in publication order is obviously a safe bet, but I don't see why reading MoI before DHG shouldn't be done.

Aren't there alot of good books in the world? Do we really want
To have to freaking re read books to know what's going on?

Maybe that's just a nice way of saying they are too confusing, since even some people that really like the books feel you need to reread
To understand. If the author was a better writer you could
Understand it the first time.

I'm wondering hy people liked MoI so much since
That the one that put me off from reading any more.

Aren't there alot of good books in the world? Do we really want
To have to freaking re read books to know what's going on?

Maybe that's just a nice way of saying they are too confusing, since even some people that really like the books feel you need to reread
To understand. If the author was a better writer you could
Understand it the first time.

I'm wondering hy people liked MoI so much since
That the one that put me off from reading any more.

I love Memories of Ice! I just wish I had more time to read it. I am almost finished.

I have not reread any of the books yet but I believe it is like watching an awesome movie like Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, Godfather or any other you really love, you can enjoy it and catch more details you missed the first time.

If you don't like the books, so be it, but why keep harping about it? Live and let live.

My take on this series is that the books are better as stand-alones. Favorites are earlier ones, books 2 thru 5. There are too many characters, there is too much going on at times, and after a while I stopped caring about the final outcome (I have the last 2 books left to read) - which is directly opposite to GOT where I'm really interested to see who win and who dies in the end. I WANT to know who sits atop the Iron Throne.

Erikson made a mistake by not continuing with the same style he introduced in House of Chains where the opening book 'Faces in the Rock' was entirely concerned with Kars'a introduction, and lasted 265 pages. That section was the best piece of writing in the entire series.

I liked the series I have read the first 4 books twice, but sorry Steven I understand your wish not to spoon feed the story, but when there's mistakes throughout and endless cryptic mutterings and lots of verbosity in parts, I feel like I don't want to do your work for you, reading Fantasy should not be 'work'. Sure reading requires effort, but that's not the same as remembering 100's of characters, plot twists, clues, story arcs etc

Some of the writing is fantastic, books 2-5 are spectacular. It's a good series. But to me, it's too ambitious and left far too much research and effort for me to put in to get the best out of it.

Looking forward to the shorter Khakanas trilogy.

Still love this series after the second read-through, though I've only read one of the ICE novels (Night of Knives). Probably my favourite book series of all time, plus I got to meet Erikson at a signing for The Crippled God!

Back