At The Mountains of Madness Finally being green lighted!!!

Just found this forum and just found this thread. Like others have voiced, I'm very excited to see this story hit the celluloid and I'm confident that Del Toro is one of few who will do it justice.

I haven't read all of Lovecraft's stories. (Maybe I shouldn't say that here...?). But AtMoM is definitely a very visual story. If I had time machine, I would go fetch Kubrick and have him do a 2001-treat on AtMoM. But I'm sure Del Toro will give the aliens, the great mountains and the city, and the terrifying things inside realistic, strange and beautiful life.

As long as Cameron isn't scripting this, I don't see anything negative with him being producer. That'll just make sure they get the best possible budget to realise this just as Del Toro wants it.

:M:

Del Toro's descriptions of the elder things and the shoggoth sound AMAZING.

Absolutely perfect.

I like Del Toro for this movie, he has an active imagination and is often very good at bringing things which I had trouble imagining to life, but is it really necessary to film it in 3D?

The good thing about 3D is that it brought cinema and movies back on the agenda for many people, thus meaning more money for the film industry.

The negative is that I can never see 3D as anything other than spectacle. Once someone uses it to enhance the story/plot, I will applaud it. Before that happens, it'll just be another "explosion" in my opinion.

So I will most likely watch the movie in 2D, yes.

Haha, J Riff I couldn't have said it better myself. The entire 3D thing is a massive money making scam which is slowly strangling the life out of what we used to call entertainment. If this movie contains a scene in which it appears as if the Shoggoth is following you , I'm going to have to boycot the entire motion picture industry.

More money for the film industry. That's pretty horrifying in itself.

More money, as in the production companies dares to produce more movies, and hopefully more diversity.

The less money, the more dumbed down, straight forward genre films we get.

More money, as in the production companies dares to produce more movies, and hopefully more diversity.

The less money, the more dumbed down, straight forward genre films we get.

As far as horror goes that's very true. Less money means more buy-the-numbers slasher films. However, SF on a budget can often produce quality, on account of it forcing the creators to be idea-focused instead of effect-driven.

Yes, a low budget does, of course not, necessarily mean a bad film. But this is another debate. I should have kept my mouth shut, hehe.

Back to At The Mountains of Madness and Del Toro....

I know it will sound crazy ,but if this movie suceeds-regardless of badget-it will ,also, bring a new fashion in cinema, i believe, it"s going to resurrect the old derlethian feel of cheap horror ,in many low badget movies to come.It"s not going to bring lovecraft closer to the audiences,in my opinion..for that to happen ,there will always be necessary a magazine of the weird and fantastic,the way Lovecraft imagined it...Damn hard bussiness that one....

God that sucks so hard.

What is wrong with you Universal?

Take some chances after Inception! Jesus.

That's perfectly alright. Better no movie than some half-assed compromise.

I listened to a dramatic audio recording of "At the Mountains of Madness" however I have not read the story, yet. I think that there might be better stories but than you run into the whole problem of adapting these stories into film. This particular story might do alright, some people thought.

I did watch the old movie version of "The Dunwich Horror" and it was okay and everything but it was certainly a departure from the short story. I wouldn't want them to jump into Dunwich if they have not tried at least a few others.

I'd like to see movies for "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", "The Dunwich Horror", "The Call of Cthulhu", at least so far. I have only read a quarter of his complete collection of stories.

The real truth though is that I'm probably finished with watching movies. I would have liked to see these movies done years ago during the time when I was still watching movies. That would have been a home run.

So if Del Toro was set on a rated 'R' movie, but they wanted a PG-13, than the monsters will be watered down, it will be more like a thriller rather than a horror. I can stand to go without it here too, if that is the situation.

I've got better things to do anyways.

It's so infuriating. After years of hard work, he tries to show them just what a great piece it could be but no, Universal execs really have no taste. They would rather make remakes, like that Doom movie, but not take a chance on something spectacular? They even admitted to being impressed with what Del Toro presented to them.

But what I don't understand is why did Del Toro only went to Universal, why doesn't he try any other studio like New Line or Columbia Pictures or any others? Does Universal own movie rights to ATMOM?

One more thing to consider. Supposing if he did agree to PG-13 rating, than he still would have been able to release his preferred version on Blu-ray and DVDs, like many directors release their uncut versions later on. He could have went back and remastered the film.

Ugh! I was really hoping to see it get made. I'm fine with using my imagination and reading the book, but this story really begs for big screen adaption. He can always do Call of Cthulhu, I don't think that movie warrants an R rating, or those suggested by Tinsel and one more Shadow Out of Time.

I can't remember how much romantic love interest... or family-related content there is in the original, but Hellywood virtually insists on it, so expect a half hour of that... or something, they will change it. Don't get excited, don't send letter bombs, best to keep expectations down... I'm not even going to read it until after the spectacle is all over. Calm down, stay in your bunkers, do not enter the cave.