Sherlock (Steven Moffat BBC series)

Sherlock is back to outclass other detective,crime shows on both sides of the pond soon. As Jeremy Brett, classic Sherlock purist i cant believe how much i love this series.

It's faithful to the (spirit of the) books in an entirely different way to the Jeremy Brett adaptations, allowing me to really like all three. :)

It's faithful to the (spirit of the) books in an entirely different way to the Jeremy Brett adaptations, allowing me to really like all three. :)

Thats what i try to explain to people who find a modern setting Sherlock to be something the regular fans of the books, other Victorian setting Sherlock stories cant possibly like.

Its faithful almost completely to the character of Sherlock Holmes himself. Doesnt really matter this one lives in a modern London, has a mobilephone instead of using telegrams.

The reason i cant even watch a second of the RDJ films is the lack of not being faith to the spirit,following Sherlock character. A dirty action hero is more Bond than the detective in this series and in all other quality tv adaptations from UK channels.

Speaking to Frank Skinner and Fred MacAulay at an Ad-Lib Comedy event as part of the Edinburgh Fringe yesterday, Steven Moffat went further than he has before when asked how Sherlock Holmes survived his hospital-top fall at the end of series two:

"He cunningly avoided the pavement - that really is the only way to avoid dying. There's only a limited number of ways he can do this. He's got to interrupt his fall before he hits the pavement."

On Holme's surviving the fall.

Looking at the many replays on YT, I came to this conclusion. Where Sherlock lies on the pavement, there is a rectangular shape on the pavement in front of him. You also see a truck with what looks like padding (or at least something you could land on) in the back. As we see the aerial shot of Sherlock lying on the floor, the truck is pulling away - not just forward, but also pulling to the right, just as if it has been parked within the rectangle marked out on the ground.
Sherlock quite clearly tells Watson to stand in a particular spot so that he can witness the fall, but not the landing.

So basically, Holmes has jumped from the building, onto the padding in the back of the open-top truck. Watson is delayed by the cyclist so that when he gets to Holmes, he has had time to roll off the truck onto the pavement and pour a little blood around him to feign serious injury. Possibly Watson has also been drugged by the cyclist so that he is unable to go to the aid of Holmes , or to get a good look at this injuries, before he is whisked away by his nurse friend (there's no way that paramedics would get there that fast, even from outside a hospital). Therefore Watson is convinced of his death and thereby convinces Moriarty's accomplicies.

Sherlock quite clearly tells Watson to stand in a particular spot so that he can witness the fall, but not the landing.

The BBC confirmed yesterday that Sherlock's third series would air at some point in its festive fortnight of television, between the 21st of December 2013 and the 4th of January 2014. It was also kind enough to release an official synopsis for the Mark Gatiss-written episode one of the new series, The Empty Hearse:

"Two years after the devastating effects of [Series 2's finale] The Reichenbach Fall, Dr John Watson has got on with his life. New horizons, romance and a comforting domestic future beckon. But, with London under threat of a huge terrorist attack, Sherlock Holmes is about to rise from the grave with all the theatricality that comes so naturally to him. It’s what his best friend wanted more than anything, but for John Watson it might well be a case of ‘be careful what you wish for’! If Sherlock thinks everything will be just as he left it though, he’s in for a very big surprise..."
Sherlock series 3: The Empty Hearse synopsis | Den of Geek

Ah its pretty nice that Sherlock is only a month away. Sometimes its a good thing that time goes by quickly!

Attachments

• Empty-hearse-promoting-sherlock.jpg
    Empty-hearse-promoting-sherlock.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 360
Fantastic!! Thanks for all the update. That hearse idea is just so cute. :)

I've never really watched any tv show with any regularity, but I am jonesing for these episodes in a bad way. The question is... how long with it take to get to the US? Does the bbc have any sort of streaming service?

PBS are showing the three episodes on Masterpiece - 19th January, 26th January, and the third on 2nd February.

Want to read the BBC synopsis of the Sherlock series 3 finale? Then step this way...

With just over a fortnight to go until Sherlock season 3 starts on BBC One, all three official episode synopses have now been released. Read on for an overview of what's ahead for Holmes and Watson this January...

The Empty Hearse

"Two years after the devastating effects of [Series 2's finale] 'The Reichenbach Fall', Dr John Watson has got on with his life. New horizons, romance and a comforting domestic future beckon. But, with London under threat of a huge terrorist attack, Sherlock Holmes is about to rise from the grave with all the theatricality that comes so naturally to him. It’s what his best friend wanted more than anything, but for John Watson it might well be a case of ‘be careful what you wish for’! If Sherlock thinks everything will be just as he left it though, he’s in for a very big surprise..."

The Sign Of Three

"Sherlock faces his biggest challenge of all - delivering a Best Man's speech on John's wedding day! But all isn't quite as it seems. Mortal danger stalks the reception - and someone might not make it to the happy couple's first dance. Sherlock must thank the bridesmaids, solve the case and stop a killer!"

His Last Vow

"A case of stolen letters leads Sherlock Holmes into a long conflict with Charles Augustus Magnussen, the Napoleon of blackmail, and the one man he truly hates. But how do you tackle a foe who knows the personal weakness of every person of importance in the Western world?"

Read more about Sherlock series 3 on Den of Geek, including interviews with Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and co-creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, here.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/sherlock
Sherlock actor Martin Freeman has revealed how he almost missed out on the role of Dr John Watson because he was so grumpy at his audition after the theft of his wallet.

The Hobbit actor stars with Benedict Cumberbatch in the modern-day adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, which returns to BBC1 on New Year's Day.

Mark Gatiss, the detective drama's co-creator, told the Radio Times that Freeman's wallet had been stolen on the way to his audition.

Freeman, who had never read any Arthur Conan Doyle before going up for the role, said that because he "wasn't in the best frame of mind" he gave the impression that he did not want to be in the show, which has become a huge hit.

He told the magazine: "I'll admit maybe I was a bit stressed. But a week later my agent rang and said, 'Listen, this Sherlock thing, they're sort of under the impression you weren't that into it.'

"And I said 'Oh … I am really interested. Please call them and let them know that I am interested.'

"I wasn't being blase about it at all. I just wasn't on my best day. So I came in again, read with Benedict and it instantly worked, it seemed to me … I thought he was a fantastic actor and there was something about our rhythms, similarities and differences that meant that it just happened."

Freeman, whose real-life partner, the actor Amanda Abbington, stars as his new love-interest in the next instalment, said the drama was "writing for grown-ups, where you're not having to cheat the audience".
Sherlock: Martin Freeman's grumpy audition nearly cost him Watson role | Television & radio | theguardian.com