Sherlock (Steven Moffat BBC series)

The producers have confirmed there will be more. At some point.

That is good news. Although as Moffat is busy with Dr Who, who (not the dr) knows how long it will be till Holmes and Watson are back on our screens.
If you had to force Moffat to concentrate on one, which would it be, Who? or Holmes?

Doctor Who without question. Given the legacy of the program a duff season would be very bad indeed and no doubt Moffat would be hung drawn and quartered if the quality of Who diminished due to him spending too much time on another project.

Though I do hope he finds the time for a little bit of Sherlock-love. Maybe 4 days Who, 1 day Holmes :p? And 2 days off because he deserves a rest!

Recently caught this show after meaning to watch it for months.

Gotta say I loved it. My only experience with Sherlock Holmes is the recent Guy Ritchie film and I loved that but I think I liked this mini-series more. It was brilliant.

I was worried about the chrons tv forums when i couldnt find a topic for this series. You cant have Merlin topic and not a Sherlock Holmes ;)

I saw this series last week and enjoyed it immsenly. Im another Sherlock Holmes purist who would never see Guy Ritchie movie unless at i had a gun to my head ;) I was very sceptical about this show. But they adapated,copied the real Holmes,his type of story so well. The modern setting didnt bother me after all it was only the setting.

Cumberbatch was well cast as Holmes and i cant wait for the next season.

I don't see why you wouldn't like the movie if you liked the miniseries.

I couldn't really watch Sherlock without cringing. Why did they have to call it Sherlock when it was nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes at all? Can't it just be influenced by the Sherlock Holmes books like many other series (like House for instance).
For me it sat inbetween trying to do something new and clutching on to the old, and not in a good way.

However much I like Benedict Cumberbatch I didn't like him as Holmes and I thought Martin Freeman was a very odd choice for Watson.
One thing I did enjoy was the original Victorian Watson suffered from wounds in the War in Afghanistan, and Martin Freeman's Doctor Watson came back from the Modern War in Afghanistan. Clever, but not redeeming for the rest of the show.

Don't even get me started on Guy Ritchies atrocity.

I don't see why you wouldn't like the movie if you liked the miniseries.

Didnt you read my post ? The movie didnt focus on adapating the literary Holmes. He was a boxer,action hero version, not the smart,annoying detective.
Robert Downey Jr is awesome as Iron Man but he is so wrong for Holmes.

The tv show was just the old version in a modern setting, with iphone instead of reading magazine all the time. The changes they made was made with respect to original work. They even hade homage in the first ep to A Study in Scarlet.

[Please could I have the thread renamed to "Sherlock", or "BBC 1's Sherlock" or "Steven Moffat's All-Too-Short, But Rather Good, Re-Imagining of Sherlock"? Ta!]

Sherlock resumed tonight! Anyone watch it?

I still don't like whoever it is who is playing Moriarty, but he didn't feature much tonight, so that's fine.

A slightly strange episode, with weird pacing issues (the first forty-five minutes felt like the entire ninety, and then I expected to see the credits rolling three times), but I enjoyed it, particularly Adler and her interaction with Sherlock.

I was glad to see that the nifty little subtitle-like things were back, with my favourites being the blog text as Watson was typing.

I saw some of it and swapped to New Tricks but I will watch it. I love the combination of Holmes and Watson they have going, but also agree Moriarty is a bit of a let down lol

Lenny, I agree entirely on the atrocious Moriarty character, and share your relief at the brevity of his appearance.

That aside, I liked it.

I enjoyed this, thought it was good, maybe not as good as the first series, but still good.

I saw a trailer for next weeks (?) hound of the baskervilles, with none other than George the werewolf from Being Human in. :D

I only realised this was on when I turned the tv on half way through so I didn't watch it. I'll probably iplayer it later in the week.

I enjoyed this, once they got past the not particularly convincing resolution** of the swimming pool situation. Lots of humorous play on the titles of Sherlock Holmes cases, clever banter and apparently random micro-scenes that were all brought together at the end. A lot of fun.

There has been a lot of moaning in the comments on the Grauniad's review (where else?) about how Moffat had undermined Adler's position in the canon as the one*** person who had bested Holmes and that he (Moffat) was undermining feminism. I'm not sure that it did and that he was. I feel that the relevant scene (I won't be more specific given that some haven't seen the episode yet) should not necessarily be taken at face value, particularly as it's presented as a reminiscence.

** - Although I can think of one thing that Moriarty might have been told that would make him behave in the way he did (and it wasn't necessarily, or merely, the content held on a certain phone).

*** - The micro-scene (which was in the trailer, so isn't really a spoiler) where Holmes berates Watson for putting the unsolved cases on his blog was a rather nice undermining of the Holmes legend, and meant that Adler did not have to be extra-superhumanly clever to outwit the merely superhumanly clever Holmes.

[Please could I have the thread renamed to "Sherlock", or "BBC 1's Sherlock" or "Steven Moffat's All-Too-Short, But Rather Good, Re-Imagining of Sherlock"? Ta!]

Sherlock resumed tonight! Anyone watch it?

... and after watching, I couldn't stop myself from thinking, "if you never do another Dr Who, Stevie, keep doing Sherlock."

I would never have thought myself a purist as such (my introduction to Holmes was Douglas Wilmur, followed by Lee/Cushing's inverted casting on the Baskerville movie and then several Rathbone adventures, all of which I found entertaining enough at the time) but have since read more and seen more "faithful" versions of Doyle's meisterwerk, finding the radio series with Clive Merrison and the superb Michael Williams among my most favourite evers.

Approaching Moffatt and Mark Gatiss' "reboot" with absolute faith in these two's talents, I think it's pretty near faultless. The "What if" works perfectly for me. What if that brain were placed in a 21st century, self-appointed detective; what if the challenges he chose to undertake were surrounded with our technology, would the Doyle characterisation of Holmes still have a role?

And the answer is plainly obvious. It works because it could work and should work, because Doyle didn't create a city and an age in his writing, he created a mind and a man with weaknesses and foibles, strengths and infuriating infallibility; and Cumberbatch and the excellent Martin Freeman have allowed us to experience the reality of that creation.

The comic references to Doyle's original writings let us know in no uncertain terms that this isn't, and isn't meant to be, an updating of the stories. It's a relocation for The World's Greatest Detective and I'm loving it.

Absolutely brilliant. Very intellectually entertaining. Magnificent work, and it gets better on a rewatch. Won't comment more before I have finished the rewatch, but at the moment I need to get some menthol filter tips... sorry.

A slightly strange episode, with weird pacing issues (the first forty-five minutes felt like the entire ninety.....)

Agreed, to the extent that when I took my inevitable tea break and paused the iPlayer, I almost cheered when I noticed there was still another 40 minutes to play. :)

.....but at the moment I need to get some menthol filter tips... sorry.

Do your best friends hide the good stuff from you as well? :D