what was on the other side of the buick 8's portal?

radu123

charming date rapist
now, i know that the point of the story wasn't to establish the exact nature of the buick, as a matter of fact its utterly enigmatic character was essential to the book's themes, but it's still fun to speculate what exactly happened when someone crossed over the buick's world

it seems to me that the guys who were teleported died pretty much instantly, as evidenced by their belongings still remaining right at the mouth of the portal even after all those years. the stake driven through ennis' hat is a bit of a headscratcher, although the narrator does provide one possible explanation for that.

is it also possible they suffocated and began to dissolve as soon as they were teleported over, as happened to the creatures and leaves that came to earth?

EDIT: since writing this i've read a few testaments saying that the car and the alien world were actually featured in the dark tower, are their origins made clear there?

It's been a while since I read From a Buick 8, so I can't remember all the smaller details that might give some clue as to where the portal goes.

An irregular member who sometimes posts in the King forum once mentioned something interesting; that being the link between the purple in both this book and Lisey's Story ("behind the purple" if I'm recalling correctly -- haven't been on a King splurge for a while). Perhaps, then, some kind of link between the portal and Boo'ya Moon.

I've also heard speculation that the portal leads to Roland's world (and also the world that Rosie pops into at the end of Rose Madder is also his world). Another thing that I've heard or come across or whatever is that the portal goes Todash, to that inbetween place that is mentioned in the Dark Tower.

One thing that the Dark Tower makes the reader aware of is the many different worlds, and the different levels of the Tower. It definitely seems, at least, that although his books are connected, some take place in differing worlds -- Cell and Under the Dome seem to take place in around about the same area, yet considering the apocalytic happenings of Cell, you'd think someone in Under the Dome would've mentioned it.

And so, to conclude...I haven't much of a substanital idea.

I've always felt the place was just another planet. A toxic atmosphere and alien biochemistry, to be sure. But just a planet in some other part of the universe. The sinister character in the long coat and black hat, who placed the Buick in our world, however, is another issue. I do believe that this character is one of a loosely related group that serves the Crimson King. One of the Low Men in Yellow Coats crowd. One of the Bird-Faces. In that grouping of characters.

For me, it joined a (small) list of King's that I liked, but didn't love. I still enjoyed reading it simply because I love his style, but I wasn't blown away. In case you're interested, the others would be Cell, Lisey's Story and Under the Dome. Told you it was small. Maybe it's my tastes changing as they're all recent ones, but I am and always will be a huge fan. As a book it's brilliant, as a Stephen King, maybe not so much. Still check it out though.

I liked Cell a lot but hated Lisey's Story, still have to read under the dome. Must look for From a Buick 8.

I liked it because it refused to answer certain questions. That's the way life is. In life, we don't get all the answers. I like "From a Buick 8" for the same reason. It tantalizes you with what it might be. Makes speculation, postulates theory. Shows evidence and hints. Ultimately though, it's left up to you, the reader. I spent much time mulling over what the Buick might really be. That's indicative of a powerful book: That it stays on your mind after you've read it. Also, I spent several years in law-enforcement so that angle of the story was appealing to me as well. Cops. How they live, how they work... it's portrayed very well in the book.

As much as I like SK and his books I still prefer some sort of resolution to the story, you dragged me for a few hundred pages now let me in on what happens at the end.

I liked it because it refused to answer certain questions. That's the way life is. In life, we don't get all the answers. I like "From a Buick 8" for the same reason. It tantalizes you with what it might be. Makes speculation, postulates theory. Shows evidence and hints. Ultimately though, it's left up to you, the reader. I spent much time mulling over what the Buick might really be. That's indicative of a powerful book: That it stays on your mind after you've read it.

I can't agree with this enough. I've always said exactly the same about King's stuff.

All very true points. In fairness to King, he does warn you. He states clearly, at the outset, that there are no answers to be had. The Buick is a mystery. Where it comes from, why it's here, how it works... nobody knows. It just does some weird s*%t from time to time. He pulls sort of the same thing with The Colorado Kid novella.

I guess I always assumed it would be kind of a limbo, an in-between place sandwiched by alternate universes. It would be a very dangerous place to be stuck in. If my recollection serves me well, SK mentions this limbo in his Dark Tower series at some point, maybe around Wizards and Glass or Song of Susannah.

Disclaimer: Buick 8 is one of my favourite SK books - he manages to keep the nebulousness and lack of resolution/explanation that is common to short stories.

In the DT there are times when they cross worlds and go Todash. I think (and I say this without being able to point you to an interview or evidence, sorry) that it has been accepted that the monsters from The Mist and those from the car come from Todash space. It is clear as someone has already said that the car was dumped by a Low man, I think.

So what is being said is that all Stephen King books are connected some how and with this one it is the Buick?

How is Carrie conected to the other books then? Is she from Todash space? What is Todash space?

Disclaimer: Buick 8 is one of my favourite SK books - he manages to keep the nebulousness and lack of resolution/explanation that is common to short stories.

In the DT there are times when they cross worlds and go Todash. I think (and I say this without being able to point you to an interview or evidence, sorry) that it has been accepted that the monsters from The Mist and those from the car come from Todash space. It is clear as someone has already said that the car was dumped by a Low man, I think.

Very true. However, not all of his books are connected to the Dark Tower, to answer Fishii's question. I'm not sure if it necessarily Todash space in this instance, however, since that is supposedly darkness. As I believe that this novel and Lisey's Story referred to the same or similar dimension, there is light, form and substance on the other side. I might also draw your attention to "Mrs Todd's Shortcut", which I like to think involves the same dimension as well.

So what is being said is that all Stephen King books are connected some how and with this one it is the Buick?

How is Carrie conected to the other books then? Is she from Todash space? What is Todash space?

It is hard to say whether King means to have all of his work considered to be part of his bigger picture but it is definitely possible. His earlier works tended to have characters from one story do cameos in other stories but now it seems possible that all of his stories may be part of his alternate realities or worlds.

I believe that the creatures that came out of the buick came from Todash space (where I believe the creatures from The Mist came from).

Todash space is the dimensionless nothingness that exists between alternate universes in Stephen King's metaverse.

King calls these portals (like the Buick 8) thinnies in The Dark Tower.

Oh, I also wanted to say that when I originally read this novel I found that it was entertaining but it wasn't what I considered to be a great King novel. I recently bought it on audio CD and listened to it in complete darkness. What a difference! Listening to this story be told in total darkness was like watching a movie in my mind. This is by far one of King's creepiest and weirdest novels and has jumped up in my top five favorites list.

Very true. However, not all of his books are connected to the Dark Tower, to answer Fishii's question. I'm not sure if it necessarily Todash space in this instance, however, since that is supposedly darkness. As I believe that this novel and Lisey's Story referred to the same or similar dimension, there is light, form and substance on the other side. I might also draw your attention to "Mrs Todd's Shortcut", which I like to think involves the same dimension as well.

You know what, I think you're right. I have always been under the assumption that it was Todash on the other side of the Buick but you're right; Todash space is dark and in the novel there is a distinct landscape, so I don't think the Buick can open to Todash space, anymore. I still lean towards The Arrowhead Project in The Mist opening up a portal to Todash. What about you?

Funnily enough, when I read Buick 8 I also thought of Mrs Todd's Shortcut, too. I loved that tale, too! :)

pH

It is hard to say whether King means to have all of his work considered to be part of his bigger picture but it is definitely possible. His earlier works tended to have characters from one story do cameos in other stories but now it seems possible that all of his stories may be part of his alternate realities or worlds.

There's a book called The Complete Stephen King Universe: A Guide to the Worlds of Stephen King that I found enjoyable. It breaks all the interconnected books and stories down into related clusters and shows how those clusters then relate to one another. Though not all directly related you could probably take a convoluted route through his various stories into larger universes that eventually all fall under The Dark Tower. It's pretty interesting.

I tried to link it but I'm not allowed yet, sorry. But a quick search will give you a plethora of results and buying options. :)

I've read a great deal of Stephen King's books, but Buick 8 is still to-be-read. Glad to hear such good things about it!

A few of his books do not seem to be connected to his Metaverse, but a great deal of them are. I love how they're all connected. It just makes reading them so much more real to me.

Back