why didn't pug & co destroy the emerald queen's fleet?

radu123

charming date rapist
now i know that he tried to destroy her ship and end the eminent war using that method, but that didn't work out so well for him...

so after that monumental failure why didn't miranda and others just conjure up a storm or some other magical catastrophe and destroy the rest of her fleet, the one that didn't have magical wards?

now i know there was probably some hoi polloi about them not being executioners, but by allowing her armies to invade midkemia just as many people died anyway, and as i recall her armies were mostly mercenaries, fanatics, and other such blackhearts and scoundrels

now i know there was probably some hoi polloi about them not being executioners, but by allowing her armies to invade midkemia just as many people died anyway, and as i recall her armies were mostly mercenaries, fanatics, and other such blackhearts and scoundrels
Could say something about Feist's ethics and beliefs in what is fair, or his characters. Maybe it was not so easy to create a storm out to sea, though he seemed a powerful chap.

First post, hello folks.

Overall, I think that Pug is the most uneven character Feist ever created. He went to the trouble of creating the most powerful magician in the known worlds, then realized he'd made a god so began to hamper him with codes of behavior which not only limited use of his powers, but made him contradictory in many other ways.

Usually the answer to why didn't Pug do (whatever) is Because he didn't - it would have ended the story, so Feist found a reason for him to not (moral objections, he went away on walkabout, etc).

Though Pug's development is really interesting in the first trilogy (Riftwar Saga). I haven't read his escapades after that.

Agree with Rand. He made Pug too strong. "...And with a wave of his arm Pug turned the Emerald Queen's fleet into sardines." Short book.

So you have to contrive a reason why the obvious "and god said" route isn't used. Eddings fell foul of the same problem when Sparhawk had the Bhelliom. (There's a dredge from the bottom of my mind).

Pug was in a pretty bad shape after his failure to destroy the Emerald Queen's flagship; he was in no fit state to do much at all until after they had already landed!

oh well, it's irrelevant. my main man raymond has been nothing but a major hack post- exile's return

Well there are several logical reasons for it a few of which have been listed here.

1.the book would have been too short
2.the rest of the party were far too worried about pug to be going back and destroying anything
3. they had no idea if any of the other ships had the same counter magic that nearly made pug destroy himself with that massive fireball
4. the reason they made that original attack was mostly down to Miranda pushing pug to do it, after pug made a nice roast out of himself the wind was somewhat knocked out of her sails.
5. there is always the element of destiny, pug has been a pawn from day one, Macros more than anyone wouldnt attempt to play with things till he wasnt sure there was a chance of success and after seeing pug nearly die considering the state his powers were in he wouldnt have tried again he would conclude that it was meant to happen (just like the betrayal of the peace talks he setup at the end of magician)

Back