• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

Searching doesn't work properly any more

Fried Egg

When I do advanced searches and search for words in thread titles, it doesn't find any matches.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
I'm sorry, Fried Egg, but the search functions have not worked properly since the last time the site was moved to a new server.

I'm sure Brian is working on it, but the problem seems to be a nasty one, because he hasn't reported any progress.

In the meantime, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Fried Egg

That's ok. I just wanted to be sure someone was aware of the problem.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I think, Brian deleted all the search data to make the move between Servers easier and quicker. All those files take up a lot of space in a forum that is very large to begin with. That means that they won't be replaced, but they will, given time, slowly build up again. Brian will correct me if I'm wrong.

j d worthington

Yes, it's been a pain for me lately as well, as several of the things I had intended to post links to were older things; some from shortly after I first joined. Which means, of course, that when dealing with something like the Fantasy Recommendations for the Unenlightened thread, I'd have to do several hours' worth of looking to find the posts I was after. I don't know if there's anything which can be done to ameliorate this a bit, but if it can be (without causing the sorts of problems which would make it more of a pain than it's worth), I for one would love to see it take place. If not... I suppose I'll just have to try to track some things down and make my own copies of links over several months' time....

j d worthington

I had tried that, but with no luck. However, that was a while back -- shortly after the move -- so perhaps some of the other problems may have prevented that from working. Will try again....