It can't be July, already? Can it? Oh well, let's hear what you're reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FRANK R. PAUL: FATHER OF SCIENCE FICTION ART. Originally published as FROM THE PEN OF PAUL: THE FANTASTIC IMAGES OF FRANK R. PAUL by Shasta-Phoenix Publishers for $39.95, Barnes & Noble is letting this reissue go for $9.99. Stunning, beautiful, if you like Nicole Kidman you'll love this book (drop-dead gorgeous, duh!).

Shadow's Edge, second book in the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.

Took me a while to get into the first one, but when I did I raced through it. I've also just finished Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding, which only took me a few days to finish.

Flitting through stuff at the moment.

Just wanted to thank Cull for posting the new thread...:)

Shadow's Edge, second book in the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.

Took me a while to get into the first one, but when I did I raced through it. I've also just finished Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding, which only took me a few days to finish.

I'm currently reading Retribution Falls and it's pretty enjoyable. What did you think about it?

I've considered that Night Angel Trilogy, but I keep feeling like I'd have just as much fun playing the Assassin's Creed video game... as far as I can tell, they're the same plot! Even the covers make them look like the same character...

Haha, they do look alike. I've only played (some of) Assassin's Creed 2. Didn't think that much of it, honestly. Night Angel is much better :)

I liked Retribution Falls more and more as I got further into it. I'm branching out a little with the genre, my typical style would be George RR Martin or Robin Hobb or suchlike (ie serious, sprawling geographically and in terms of cast). As for my opinion, I really quite enjoyed it. I'd just finished a history of Byzantium so was more than usually ready for a lighter-hearted read, and the fast pace, comedy and interesting world made sure I read it twice as quickly as I thought I would.

Edit: oh, and if Chris Wooding's reading this, I shall generously accept a signed copy of The Black Lung Captain as my fee for writing such nice things about your book :p

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's supposed to be YA, but I'm finding it very enjoyable in spite of that. Will definitely be buying the next two books in the trilogy.

Pandora's Star - Peter F Hamilton, I've put off reading this book for too long.

Still on Orson Scott Card's "Xenocide". It's...readable. But the sheer amount of recapping is driving me up the walls. Plus, I can't help but smirk at the OCD stuff since it comes off rather silly.
For some reason, this puts me in mind of "God emperor of Dune", just that no character has Leto II's intensity.

Pandora's Star - Peter F Hamilton, I've put off reading this book for too long.

This was my first book from Peter Hamilton and it had me hooked - I think the sequel Judas Unchained is even better - and then you have to go on to the Void trilogy which continues the Commonwealth story - can't wait for Evolutionary Void.

My plans for July are to start the Raymond Feist Riftwar books and Joe Abercrombie's First Law books, Neal Asher (not sure where to start with him), China Mieville Perfido Street Station, maybe Dan Simmons Endymion, then one or two lighter pieces in between (there are actually still a couple of Discworld books I've not read yet!). I guess that should keep me going.

Last edited:
This was my first book from Peter Hamilton and it had me hooked - I think the sequel Judas Unchained is even better - and then you have to go on to the Void trilogy which continues the Commonwealth story - can't wait for Evolutionary Void.

My plans for July are to start the Raymond Feist Riftwar books and Joe Abercrombie's First Law books, Neal Asher (not sure where to start with him), China Mieville Perfido Street Station, maybe Dan Simmons Endymion, then one or two lighter pieces in between (there are actually still a couple of Discworld books I've not read yet!). I guess that should keep me going.

Check out his author section here on the Chrons, pretty sure he has answered that question himself!

Currently reading Shogun, slow(sh) start but looking promising. The Japanese treatment of honour (as Feist/Wurts Empire series copied successfully) allows so much more intrigue i find, fascinating...

As to the above readers - Night angel Trilogy is good fun - even if the ending seemed a little rushed and forced. As for Retribution Falls... it was okay for me but nothing really more than that, im in two minds if to buy the next book in the series. Really tempted by Gary Gibson's Shoal series, Amazon beckons and I don think i have the will power to resist...

I'm re-reading Kurt Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan, a timeless piece of work.

Check out his author section here on the Chrons, pretty sure he has answered that question himself!

Yeah took a look at that and got a bit bemused by the rather complex timeline presented there (three intermeshed series) - I think I will probably stick to my normal preference of reading in the order written. Only time I've veered from that recently was for Reynolds Revelation Space books (after reading a recommended ordering that did indeed make it easier to pick up the background).

Asher is good, I have most of his books...

I would personally go for the Cormac series first, then use the other standalone books to fill in after, so start with Gridlinked, The Line of Polity, Brass Man, Polity Agent then Line War.

They're all good though!

About to start The Moon is Hell by John W. Campbell, an alternative vision of the race to the moon. I take it this is a fix-up. The only other piece of Campbell I've ever read is Who Goes There?, the basis for the Thing movie.

I finally finished Michael Cobley's "Seeds of Earth". Not too badm, but i wanted to enjoy it more than i actually did.

Now on to Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts Lost omnibus starting with Traitor General.

About to start The Moon is Hell by John W. Campbell, an alternative vision of the race to the moon. I take it this is a fix-up. The only other piece of Campbell I've ever read is Who Goes There?, the basis for the Thing movie.
Weeel...I've read next to nothing by John W. Campbell and given that a major non-Hugo Award is named after the fellow I would be quite keen to try and source his best known work.

Status
Not open for further replies.