Whisky - In Search of the Perfect Dram

I haven't read the book either, but I saw the word 'whisky' and had to check out this thread.

You have excellent taste, Ms. Procrastinator. I'm an Islay nut, myself, and Lagavulin is my favourite. Followed by Ardbeg, and Laphroaig. I'm also partial to a bit of Bunnahabhain, and my 'everyday' malt is Bowmore (due to the reasonable price).

The book sounds like it's worth reading.

All I remember is wanting to go to Islay! (God I love Laphraoig and the Lagavulin...)

I spent several weeks in my (relative) youth volunteering there on a nature reserve. It's a beautiful place, and every driver waves to every other driver!

I'm still a big Laphraoig fan, but I've recently got through a bottle of Scapa, from Orkney, and that gives the Islay malts a run for their money. Less peaty, but just as flavoursome in its own way.

Sorry, what was this thread about again? Ian who?

I've just recently gotten through a bottle of Scapa myself. Its not always easy to find the good stuff down here at the other end of the glob. Came across that one in the alarmingly well stocked duty-free grog shop at Sydney Airport, on my way out to NZ for a holiday. Not a bad drop at all. I wouldn't rank it in my top three, as I do like that peatiness personally, but I can see that people would - as you say HB, very flavoursome! I thoroughly approved.

I rank Lagavulin No 1 too - although I recently shelled out for Laphroaig "Quarter Cask", which is almost changing my mind there and is gaining strength with every sip...Before I tried it my top three were Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardbeg, eerily similar Sephiroth. Have not yet had the pleasure of Bunnahabhain, and quite like Bowmore...Next time I've saved my pennies, might see if I can track some Bunnahabhain down. You have to have priorities.

I have been recommended to try Scapa, although I haven't been able to get my hands on it, yet. Apparently it's nicer than Highland Park (which is also a lovely whisky, it must be said, although I, too, prefer a peaty, smoky dram).

I would love to try the 'Quarter Cask' Laphroaig. It sounds great. Last year, I picked up a cask-strength Lagavulin while in Edinburgh, and it was even nicer than the standard 16-year-old. It was listed as a 12-y-o, but that's down to the rule that a cask-strength malt must be labeled using the age of the youngest whisky, a small quantity of which is used to temper it.

I think you'll like the Bunnahabhain, Procrastinator. As for me, Caol Ila is the Islay malt I've yet to try. And I've only had a sip or two of Bruichladdich -- not enough to get a proper feel for it.

The new Kilchoman Distillery released its first batch (3 y.o.) at the end of last year, and I haven't tried that, either (it's very young, though). They plan to release 5, 8, 10 and 12-year-old bottlings, too.

And next year, the Port Charlotte Distillery will open in the west of Islay, near Bruichladdich.

Islay is in renaissance!

Ah well, not quite the direction I had really intended for this thread but never mind - I'm always happy to natter about malts. Living in the Highlands myself it's no great hardship to get hold of some of the less common brands.

I must admit my general preference is for the peaty Islays and Lagavullin is probably my favourite along with Bunnahabhain, though it all depends on mood. If you want to branch out from the Islays I personally would recommend trying Balvenie (speyside), Dalwhinnie (Higland and the highest altitude of the distilleries - they burn heather along with peat in the malting which seems to give it a nice seet flavour) though there are many others worth trying as well.

If you haven't read the book I do recommend it if you are into your malts but if not it does spend a lot of time discussing relative merits of distilleries, bottlings etc. which some might find tedious. However outside of those it a great read about travelling all around Scotland and as I said does give an interesting insight into Banks' character.

Oh and another interesting one worth trying if you can find it is Edradour (think that's spelt right). Comes from down Pitlochry way I think and I believe is supposed to be the smallest distillery only employing 3 people if memory serves me right. Very nice - originally it was provided for an exclusive blend supplied to the houses of parliament! How's that for useless trivia!

The Balvenie is very nice, too. I'm sure I've tasted Dalwhinnie, but only once, and I'd need to do so again to refresh my memory.

Sorry for not being able to contribute to the main focus of the thread (discussion of the book), but I will try to get hold of it, and maybe I can return with some more pertinent comments at a future date.

[edit] Haven't tried Edradour, but I will, on your recommendation. I'm not in the Highlands, but I'm not far from them, either, and I should be able to find most whiskies without too much trouble.

Oh for a tasting tour of Scotland...

Seph, all I can say about the Laphroaig "Quarter Cask" is Wow. They recommend you drink it with a wee drop of water and they're not wrong. Potent and delicious. You had my mouth watering with the idea of a "cask" Lagavulin...

Good to see all the recommendations, I will return to this thread for reference when I have more pennies. Single Malts - you can never go back - but you can never afford to go forward much, either!

I'm impressed by some of the whiskey coming out of Japan these days. I had some Yamazaki recently and t'was very good.

(Yeah I know, I'm going even further off-thread but You know Iain would approve!)

I've read it (also borrowed from someone who had borrowed it themselves.) I agree that the insights into his writing philosophy as well as little asides, and the other autobiographical parts are enlightening. Such as his car crash being the inspiration for 'The Bridge'. His political views are also very much a part of his life.

I also learnt a little about Whisky.

I'm actually reading it again (have three books on the go) because my wife bought it for me, not realising I had already read it once. She found it in W H Smiths, so it can't be that hard to find it.

My favourite Whisky is Islay. I'm drinking Bowmore at the moment which is similar. Aberlour is okay too.

I've read it (also borrowed from someone who had borrowed it themselves.) I agree that the insights into his writing philosophy as well as little asides, and the other autobiographical parts are enlightening. Such as his car crash being the inspiration for 'The Bridge'. His political views are also very much a part of his life.

Yay - Dave a post back on thread :) (Though I do enjoy the whisky discussion as well). I have to say after reading this book I definitely felt that he was a man I would like to meet. I particularly liked his apparently modest and unassuming view of himself. He sometimes seems almost surprised at his own success.

I was also rather tickled by his slightly shameful confession of being a bit of a petrol head. I saw an interview with him a while back where he was confessing his love of cars but stating that his conscience was now pushing him towards getting more eco-friendly cars in future.

He seemed very honest about himself.

Vertigo, if you do get a chance to see him at a convention, I heartily recommend you should go. The guys an absolute riot in interviews and on panels. A real smiley-happy guy. Your right about him being surprised at his own success I think- its been 30 years or so and the guy's still merrily chortling about it all! And who can blame him!

That's certainly my impression of him and yes I would love to see/meet him in person. Living up north of Inverness I don't get many such opportunities though I should really make more on an effort!

Alright. Just found a copy on half.com & pulled the trigger. Should be interesting. Love those Islays.

Clovis-man - sure it's been comented on before but I guess from your avatar you are kind of fond of Feersum Endjinn. I thought it was an immensely clever book and once I had wrapped my head around the phonetic dialog I was completely absorbed by it. Must go back and read it again sometime.

Re "whisky" you do have to be ready for some fairly detailed technical analysis and discussion of the various malts but I did find myself making a mental list of the various expression that he particularly favoured until I realised the price tag that went along with many of them :-(

Clovis-man - sure it's been comented on before but I guess from your avatar you are kind of fond of Feersum Endjinn. I thought it was an immensely clever book and once I had wrapped my head around the phonetic dialog I was completely absorbed by it. Must go back and read it again sometime.

An extremely enjoyable read. One of those which needs repeating for best effect.

Re "whisky" you do have to be ready for some fairly detailed technical analysis and discussion of the various malts but I did find myself making a mental list of the various expression that he particularly favoured until I realised the price tag that went along with many of them :-(

You are correct about some of the price points. Which is why I generally will buy a bottle of Laphroaig instead of Lagavulin. Oddly, in a hotel bar in Paris once, I surveyed the menu of available whiskeys and found that Jack Daniels, Chivas Regal and Lagavulin all went for the same number of Euros per shot, something like 3 or 4. Needless to say, that made my choice quite easy.

Was watching a documentary the other night and it was said the Islay was the best but that whisky actually came to Scotland from Ireland originally :)

You could say the same about the Scots -- the Gaelic-speaking people who were one of the three Celtic ethnocultural groups to predate a united 'Scotland'. :)

Irish 'whiskey' (as opposed to 'whisky') is triple-distilled and generally made with unpeated malt, and to my taste, it lacks the complexity and refinement that give 'Scotch' its character, however.

Clovis-man: I had a similar experience in Italy, where Lagavulin was available in bars for a very reasonable price (especially considering the exchange rate at the time).

I did hear Whisky came originally from China.( Like Pasta, gunpowder and Umbrellas.) It is really the only use to which you can put damp Barley, so I expect it happened independently in several places at different times.

Back