[Dresden] "Ghost Story" March 2011

I finished Side Jobs a little while ago (of course I read the last story first as it happens just after the end of Changes). Good book.

Ghost are impressions of a person before they died in the Dresden world, correct?
So how can he solve his own murder?

stiill got 50 cents to find out what happened to mister his bobtail kitty i talked to him several year's ago and told him about mr rack my 25 pnd bobtail and how much like a dog he was please pray for his cat as in this whole life if you are very lucky you will have 5 freinds half as true as a good pet. still think he will show up at murpys house. as she said in last book he is the close,st thing to a mountain lion this side of 100 miles.

I was really worried about Mister at the end of Changes. Like you, I also think he will end up with Murphy. Maybe Mister will be the first to sense Harry's ghost?

I'd lay bets that Mouse will be able to see Harry, regardless of his state of being...

I'd lay bets that Mouse will be able to see Harry, regardless of his state of being...

Except, Harry ordered Mouse to take care of Maggie. And he asked Murphy to make sure Maggie was taken far away from him. So unless Mouse and Maggie return to Chicago, or Harry finds his way to Maggie, it's more likely Harry will encounter Mister first.

Also, there are lots of M names in The Dresden Files.

Ghost are impressions of a person before they died in the Dresden world, correct?
So how can he solve his own murder?

Remember that Harry is also the Winter Knight, which changes a LOT with regard to life and death and ghost-y-ness.

Also, you're assuming Harry is the ghost being referred to in the title. And he very well could be, but he doesn't have to be.

Remember that Harry is also the Winter Knight, which changes a LOT with regard to life and death and ghost-y-ness.

Also, you're assuming Harry is the ghost being referred to in the title. And he very well could be, but he doesn't have to be.

Didn't help the summer knight or previous winter knight....his life was extremely painful...

Read the spoiler...makes sense now

Didn't help the summer knight or previous winter knight....his life was extremely painful...

Read the spoiler...makes sense now

That's only if you assume that neither of those had outstanding markers owed to one of the Faerie Queens. I think Harry still owes Mab one more 'favor'. If that's the case, she wouldn't let him die before she collected.

I wanna say Lloyd Slate did something to tick Mab off, hence his 'torture chamber' of ice, but I don't recall right off hand.

I still haven't read the preview chapter... was out of town, then my PC tried to die, so I'm getting it back in order first. *kicks the cranky old machine*

I don't think the queen of darkness and air can control death...a necromancer on the other hand...

A necromancer is a good guess. The only other ways I can think of he could be brought back to life are by a demon with a lot of power or an angel. Don't forget we have some Norse mythology in the mix also. Odin and the Valkyries may have a use for Dresden.

Valkyries use dead spirits...meh, it could work.
I doubt dresden would work for a demon, so they are out.
And the angel's words pretty much say it's up to fate after the issue in the volume sorts itself out.

But this is a guess of course, jim loves throwing plot twists.

That's only if you assume that neither of those had outstanding markers owed to one of the Faerie Queens. I think Harry still owes Mab one more 'favor'. If that's the case, she wouldn't let him die before she collected.
Yes, he owes her one more.

I wanna say Lloyd Slate did something to tick Mab off, hence his 'torture chamber' of ice, but I don't recall right off hand.

Slate colluded with Aurora to break the balance between Winter and Summer, killing the current Summer Knight. When Aurora's coup failed, Slate was left to carry the can. Book 4, Summer Knight.

Ghost Story comes out tomorrow (the 28th July) in the UK...:D:D

Finished reading it v. early Wed morning (I work 2nd shift, that's like 'late night Tues' to 1st shift-ers *g*)...

No spoilers in this comment b/c I don't have a lot of time to post just now... but there was a LOT of stuff in this book. =)

Just finished it a couple of days ago. As Highlander mentioned, there is a LOT of stuff in this book. I won't mention specifics but the scenes where Harry remembers his past are really good at building an even more detailed picture of why Harry is the way he is. A few characters from his past pop up, including one that only featured in the short stories but who I was glad to see made it into the book.

In some ways, Ghost Story is quite brutal and there were many times I winced at what the characters had to endure. That is not a criticism, merely an observation.

I now feel the urge to re-read the series but that will have to wait, as my TBR pile grows bigger and bigger and bigger...

Just realised it was out and dled it to my kindle - about to start reading :)

I finished it last week, and throughly enjoyed it. I loved the way the secondary characters get a little more development, especially Butters, and although we're left with quite a few unanswered questions, it's still one of my favourites in the series.

I loved the scene with Mister, too - I got a bit misty-eyed at that point.